absolutely disgusted!!!!!!!!

Rebecca1978

Rebecca,

I really hope Buster is back to his normal self very soon.

If I were paying for a service, I would expect to receive that service. Forgetting the money side of things, surely the "dog walker" should have noticed Buster's paws and done something about it. I would have thought the first thing would have been to speak to the staff at the quarantine centre and/or speak to you. I appreciate that the "dog walker" could say that they were instructed to walk Buster, but as a person who is supposedly an animal lover, they should have seen that Buster was not happy and that he needed to be seen by a vet.

It is very distressing to read stories like this and see pictures of Buster's paws in such an awful state. As has been said, I am incredibly nervous about the Hooligans journey and quarantine in Oz and these types of stories don't make this any easier to contemplate.

I really hope that Buster makes a quick recovery and wish you every success in getting to the bottom of what has happened.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone, thankyou all for your comments, I have just spoken to the lady at the company in question, she tells me even though she did not personally visit buster in quarantine she knew nothing about his paws, she said her workers would never leave buster in that state then contradicted herself by saying "even if they knew buster was in a bad way that they by law are not allowed to phone me and tell me as that is breaking quarantine rules between them and the quarantine, she said she will get back to me by the end of next week after she has spoken to her workers.

Can I just say regarding petair which was the company that shipped buster from the uk to Australia, I could not fault them at all, they are a fantastic company, they put my mind at ease over and over again with the many phone calls and worries that I had flying buster to Australia, I would 100% recommend petair as a shipping company and would not hesitate in using them again if needed. My earlier comment was that petair recommended the company in question and yes I will contact petair and I hope if bob is on here he sees the photos.

This comment from the dog walker concerns me - they have an agreement / contract with you to provide a service, and I'm sure you would never have contracted them for the service if you were aware that they can't tell you of any concerns. I think it's them covering their bottoms and is possibly a load of twaddle (but can't be sure!).

When you're speaking with the Quarantine station, I'd recommend making sure you're speaking with the person in charge. Although I agree with the others that it does look like the damage isn't deliberate and is probably the result of SA, they are still required to check on the poor man and should have noticed. It's at odds with the care Satch received whilst she was in Q at Melbourne - they fussed all over her.

But, great big hugs to Buster, and I'm sure he'll be running all over the place in no time at all :)

I am not downplaying your concern or the pain your dog has ..

... however, as a dog walker, and walking far less dogs that are typically in quarantine. I know it is very easy to miss things like what the bottom of a dogs feet look like. I have found bumps, lumps, cuts and all sorts of things on dogs that owner who spend all of their non working life with their dogs do not pick up.

In fact not until I shave my dog, and have to go over every inch of him, do I see any small rashes, or abrasions etc. I am not saying that his condition is not bad, but unless a dog is constantly licking an area or limping, it can be hard to pick up all things that a seemingly energetic happy dog may have wrong with them. You might bath your dog weekly, brush him daily and really really look after them well. So I defer. I am sure that it was not intentional neglect, or even something that the average person may have picked up (unless a vet was expecting to see these kinds of issues and looked for them).

Hi everyone, thankyou for your comments, buster is feeling much better now, he can actually walk, as I've mentioned on here previously he could not even walk because he was in so much pain, I'm sure the quarantine would of found it hard to miss that!! The day he was delivered to us it was by a company called dogtainers and the young girl phoned me from Brisbane airport to raise her concerns, so at least il have dogtainers to back me up, along with my vet who seems to think he was left like this for a while.

anyway, Bob from Petair has spoken to the quarantine and sent the pictures to them so we're just waiting for a response, I would just like to mention again the service we have recieved from PETAIR has gone above and beyond, I'm so glad I chose them to relocate buster to Australia, and the help we are receiving now has gone above all expectations (Thankyou Bob petair)

".....So I defer. I am sure that it was not intentional neglect, or even something that the average person may have picked up (unless a vet was expecting to see these kinds of issues and looked for them)......."

With due deference to more diligent dog walkers & given that the OP has already stated that the poor boy couldn't walk without pain - this IS neglect however you 'downplay' its cause !

And to infer that vets only see what they're 'expecting' to see is ridiculous !

I don't want 'average' people looking after my girls in Quarantine - I want qualified, super-caring, animal-loving people like Bob, the OP's vet & the girl who called the OP with her concerns from Dogtainers !

That this poor dogs separation anxiety suffering 'slipped through the net of care & communication' means that SOMEONE wasn't doing the job they were paid to do, properly....

Not good enough.

I'm sure - as JoanandJon & I can testify, that this is not the usual standard of care given....but one doggie-walker needs the sack - pronto !

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rebecca, so sorry to hear what happened to Buster but glad he is getting better. We have two Frenchies that will be going to Sydney quarantine in April and we are really nervous about their flights over and time in quarantine. They are travelling ahead of us so we were looking at these dog walk/care places whilst they are in quarantine, thanks for the warning. Give Buster a stroke and cuddle from us