Qantas bans certain dog breeds

Petals

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Pom Queen

I read this yesterday, did you read their media statement ""Safety is our first priority, including that of our employees, and certain breeds are not permitted to travel on Qantas flights as they are traditionally known to be aggressive or highly agitated animals"

I have therefore asked them if this means Chihuahuas, Jack Russell's, etc will be band as these types are more likely to be aggressive. I wonder if they will ban GSD and Rotties next.

Again ban the deed not the breed :no:

I absolutely love dogs, Ive had mongrels, GSD's Labs, Labradoodles, Great Danes and now a Staffie/Sharpei cross. I've been bitten twice in my life time, one by a friends Border Collie and the other an escaped Labrador! Neither breed you would ever describe as dangerous . It really does annoy me when people single out certain breeds.

I read this yesterday, did you read their media statement ""Safety is our first priority, including that of our employees, and certain breeds are not permitted to travel on Qantas flights as they are traditionally known to be aggressive or highly agitated animals"

I have therefore asked them if this means Chihuahuas, Jack Russell's, etc will be band as these types are more likely to be aggressive. I wonder if they will ban GSD and Rotties next.

Again ban the deed not the breed :no:

I having deja vu as we've had this discussion before.

A Chihuahua may be aggressive but is not particularly dangerous due to its size. A swift kick in the head should calm him down.

An American pitbull if aggressive will kill you.

Hence many dangerous breeds are banned in various places including the UK and Australia.

Guest The Pom Queen
I having deja vu as we've had this discussion before.

A Chihuahua may be aggressive but is not particularly dangerous due to its size. A swift kick in the head should calm him down.

An American pitbull if aggressive will kill you.

Hence many dangerous breeds are banned in various places including the UK and Australia.

Yes we have been here before, however, these dogs shouldn't need to be taken out of their cage, not on domestic flights for sure and usually only on an international if there is a delay etc

Half-tempted to report that post Parleycross, not sure anyone wants to see a post advocating animal cruelty, not sure the forum wants to be held responsible either?

As for Qantas, what a petty thing to do, I had expected better.

Obviously I'm not advocating cruelty to animals, I'm an animal lover and have a dog and a cat.

Just making the point you can defend yourself against an aggressive chihuahua.

Kate always talks about aggressive dogs but I make the distinction between aggressive dogs and dangerous dogs.

It is the dangerous dogs that are the problem, and some breeds are known to be dangerous.

Guest The Pom Queen
Obviously I'm not advocating cruelty to animals, I'm an animal lover and have a dog and a cat.

Just making the point you can defend yourself against an aggressive chihuahua.

Kate always talks about aggressive dogs but I make the distinction between aggressive dogs and dangerous dogs.

It is the dangerous dogs that are the problem, and some breeds are known to be dangerous.

Some people are known to be dangerous should we put them all to sleep :wink:

Guest The Pom Queen
And if you keep a tiger for a pet you are asking for trouble too.

Because they are wild by their true nature.

Totally different but let's not go there otherwise we will be hijacking the thread again

Why are they calling them american staffordshire terriers!?

Am i wrong in saying that doesnt exist? I thought it was staffordshire bull terriers (which i have) and then american pitbulls.

So are they saying the staffies we have legally in the uk are banned?

I think an AM-STAFF is a pitball cross staffie.

Think I've been over this before on here, about myths and stigmas towards breeds that are not only grossly inaccurate but have no backing or evidence that it's a breed trait.

Yep we had another thread about it. I seem to remember someone saying certain dogs should never be near children.

My staffy was away meeting daves friends little girl - shes 2 and that was us only just meeting her! He was so gentle with her and just sat beside her and let her clap him then fell asleep beside her. He really loves children. Definitely lives up to the nanny dog name

Again ban the deed not the breed

You are right Kate, my friend has a Chihuahua and it is vicious, will virtually sink it's teeth into your leg upon arrival at the house. I know it may be only a small dog, but it gives bigger dogs a run for their money any day and I am quite scared of it.