do you regret moving for reasons other than missing family/friends??

Guest guest79615

Blimey this is an old thread.  Hadn't seen it before.

No I have no regrets at all.  We have had a good life here and now happily retired.  I don't miss the UK at all.  Used to go back every second year when Mum was alive but there is no reason to go back now.  My sister comes to visit for 3 months most years.  She is enjoying her current visit.  I have never been bored or lonely and I've made good friends over the years   ..............  so for me no regrets.  Australia worked out well for us.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Toots said:

Blimey this is an old thread.  Hadn't seen it before.

No I have no regrets at all.  We have had a good life here and now happily retired.  I don't miss the UK at all.  Used to go back every second year when Mum was alive but there is no reason to go back now.  My sister comes to visit for 3 months most years.  She is enjoying her current visit.  I have never been bored or lonely and I've made good friends over the years   ..............  so for me no regrets.  Australia worked out well for us.

I was thinking that too Toots - a 2012 thread.  I don't regret moving either and don't miss anything (except people), I've only been back to the UK once in 13 years and that was due to necessity.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cathy1959@live.co.uk said:

I went to Perth....lasted 4 months way to boring for me Brisbane is so much better...

Welcome to the forum, you may find the UK section of our forum helpful for you.  My experience hasn't been the same as yours (I love living in WA and haven't been bored), but you'll find on here that it's different strokes for different folks.

I'll flag your user name to admin - you seem to have used your email address and might want to change it?

I haven't read from the start of the thread to see if i already commented years ago, however my feelings havent changed. I am coming up for 14 years in QLD and still enjoying everything Aus has to offer with no regrets about the move. Still enjoying the heat and love being able to do more camping and watersports in our spare time.. My kids are now growing up one in YR 11 of high school and one out in the work force, both have had a good education and do ok for themselves,have boyfriend/girlfriend and have settled here really well.

I do still miss some UK foods though,lol,, so accepted the fact this will never change,lol

Cal x

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bulya said:

Just wish we’d moved earlier...

Aint that the truth? 
Had it been Dear Old Dad’s choice, we would have been here at the end of WWII. Mum wanted to be with her family in Pontefract.

Needless to say...I came over at age 22.

Cheers, Bobj.

41 minutes ago, Bobj said:

Aint that the truth? 
Had it been Dear Old Dad’s choice, we would have been here at the end of WWII. Mum wanted to be with her family in Pontefract.

Needless to say...I came over at age 22.

Cheers, Bobj.

Better late than never!

• Haha 1

What I missed after a time was the history and very old buildings. You don’t get that here, they think 50- 100 years is ‘old’. It took a few years to miss that stuff though but on the rare occasions we have been back, I drooled over those old historical buildings and really, really appreciated them. Not enough to want to live there though!

3 hours ago, starlight7 said:

What I missed after a time was the history and very old buildings. You don’t get that here, they think 50- 100 years is ‘old’. It took a few years to miss that stuff though but on the rare occasions we have been back, I drooled over those old historical buildings and really, really appreciated them. Not enough to want to live there though!

Its funny how we like what is familiar to us.

I loved driving through the UK. Lovely place and wonderful people.

Believe it or not though, there were only two things that were mildly overrated. Firstly the place is so green,  but that is the only colour except possibly in autumn. For me it was green overload. Secondly some of the crumbling ancient buildings. I'm talking about the really old wrecks, basically piles of stone. No problem with functional old buildings such as the Victorian and Edwardian stuff particularly the railway stations in London for instance. We have them here in Sydney.

However, what is the fascination with uninhabitable piles of stone?

Time for knock down and rebuild. Yes I know you will say its "history". 

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Confused 1

On 02/01/2013 at 00:55, egrek said:

Anywhere and everywhere you can have boss and colleague troubles. But true - not as easy to just leave. Though I have found people in Oz more likely to keep to themselves. Most Aussies stay in the same place and so have their friends from school they keep in touch with. They don't need new friends. So meeting Aussies can be a mission in itself - maybe foreigners and expats all seem to meet each other. Not saying you can't meet Aussies, just it seems to be a minority of the people we meet!

Funny, as an Aussie, I have encountered the same issue over here. Both my British hubby and I are very friendly and outgoing people. So it’s not all Aussies or all Brits. I think it’s more the area and the personalities. I’m currently in the South of England. Some of our dearest friends live up North. 

On 31/12/2012 at 11:45, Guest Ptp113 said:

Why does a pom wake up one day and think Perth is the place to move to? It's not somewhere most Aussies could be bribed into moving to, but poms think otherwise without seeing it. Somebody in WA has done a great marketing job in Blighty that's for sure!

Yeah, I don’t get the attraction of Perth lol

5 minutes ago, Returnhome said:

Yeah, I don’t get the attraction of Perth lol

I've often read negative posts about Perth.  I liked it when I lived there.  I can think of many, many places I don't like but I don't see the point in harping on about it and believe me they make Perth look fantastic.  I'm not talking about places in Australia either.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

Yet the population has doubled in the 30 years that I've been here so plenty of people do like it.

We left Perth in 1987.  I didn't go back again until I visited about half a dozen times for my job many years later.  Couldn't believe how much it had grown.

• Like 1

On 28/12/2012 at 08:07, Murta said:

Yes i live in N ireland but practice in the republic of Ireland. I am in Child Protection (CP) just wondering if you were too? I have reached team leader level. Thanks I have my visa 175 me and husband and our 2 kids need tro validate by aug. thinking sydney or brisbane

Sydney or Brisbane. They are like different worlds. Both nice places but to have a decent lifestyle in Sydney you would need an awful lot more money. There are great beaches and glorious places to live around Sydney but horrendously expensive and like all big cities traffic is terrible.

Brisbane is a good city toi. Would be my preference to live from the two as you would get a lot better house in a nicer area. No beaches close to the City, which would be a no go for me as I think that is part of the lifestyle package we love, living in Perth. 2 minutes from a glorious beach, not so much traffic, we still have a rush hour😊.

Bris is a nice City though and the Gold Coast and Sunshine coast not too far away.

I think living the dream is possible BTW. Depends what your dream is but we came out in 92, never been before, were advised to go to Sydney or Melbourne and we picked Perth because it seemed to be the only City that looked like we could afford to have the lifestyle we were looking for. So the dream we saw is pretty much what we have had for the last 28 years. Good luck.

On 28/12/2012 at 08:58, fourcorners said:

For us the first time we left Australia was because we used to get very bored. We lived (and now live again) in the outback, and it does get exceedingly boring some weekends. Feels like it's all about work and we work long hours. Plus don't get as much time off as in the UK, which makes holidaying a bit tricky as there is always the battle between going back to the UK for a holiday (and pressure from family to do so) or exploring a bit more down here.

The second time round, we're back in the outback, but made choices this time round to combat the boredom a bit more. We have a nicer house with a nicer garden, so it's a nicer environment to be bored in! Plus we have invested in hobbies that we can do here. OH bought a chainsaw and that keeps him busy when summer cools down a little. I do lots of crafts and stuff I can do inside when it's baking hot outside. I do lots of cooking and baking but have to limit that as its not so good for the waistline! I think others, in our shoes, would not find our lifestyle that boring, but I think we are nomads at heart and struggle to stay in one spot for too long. Some folks are happy sitting in front of the tv most nights but that does our heads in!

I miss the UK every day. Not just family and friends but the landscape, lack of flies, lack of red dirt, the sea (we lived in Cornwall), the huge variety of things to do outside all year round, healthcare system (I have yet to find a doctor here that I think really cares about people). But, having said all that, right now the money makes up for those things. One day it won't be and we will move back home. I don't regret either move out here, Australia has given us a huge amount in terms of our career development and cash in the bank, and we love the opportunity to live in other countries and hopefully do a bit more travelling here.

At the end of the day if we decided tonight that we want to move back, we could put steps in motion tomorrow, and be back within a few months. Knowing that we have that option open to us has actually helped me settle more. I don't feel trapped, and I know that the option is there should we need it. Meanwhile, we shall continue to enjoy the adventure, even if it is sometimes a bit dull!

You came and lived in the outback and found it boring yet on your second effort you've done the same again?

Don't you think you'll get the same result?

I've been to places in Aus, Kalgoorlie was probably the first, where I instantly thought if we'd been sent there when we first  arrived I would have been on a plane back within a week. There are people who like Kal but that and the outback are definitely not for us.

7 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

Yet the population has doubled in the 30 years that I've been here so plenty of people do like it.

Just noticed this thread started in 2012. No idea why it got resurrected?

Keep it quite mate. Most of the people that knock Perth have nevet been. That includes most Aussies who have a go. 

My son lived in Whistler Canada for a couple of years. Met his girlfriend there and she's from Newcastle,  above Sydney. When they came back she wanted to be near her family even though my son is working FIFO  on a rig out from Karratha. He's 3 on 3 off so is travelling back to Newcastle every swing, which he has to pay for.

They came over for a weekend a few weeks ago, his girlfriend had never been before and all her friends and family had told her she wouldn't like it, Perth was dry and dusty, boring, nothing to do etc. None of them had been but they develop a perception and become experts without ever visiting.

Surprising to her she loved it, nothing like she expected and my son thinks they'll end up mpving here. Job opportunities here for his girlfriend are better here too.