do you regret moving for reasons other than missing family/friends??

Guest guest79615

wendee your weird lol i meant the difference in the same chocolate..cadbury..M&M's..get it now?? ;) xx

Then make yourself clearer china or the natives will not be impressed. Some poms..................

The only thing worrying me moving to Perth in the new year is all the negativity from people on here who are coming back to the UK for one reason or another.

Another thing that scares me is the job. What if I don't like the boss, what if the boss does not like me, what if I do not get on with work colleagues. It's all what ifs.

Its costing us around £10.000 to move over there, which is a lot of money if it does not work out as we're going on a 457 visa.

But hey oh got to go and give it a go. Nothing gained nothing ventured.

The only thing worrying me moving to Perth in the new year is all the negativity from people on here who are coming back to the UK for one reason or another.

Another thing that scares me is the job. What if I don't like the boss, what if the boss does not like me, what if I do not get on with work colleagues. It's all what ifs.

Its costing us around £10.000 to move over there, which is a lot of money if it does not work out as we're going on a 457 visa.

Why does a pom wake up one day and think Perth is the place to move to? It's not somewhere most Aussies could be bribed into moving to, but poms think otherwise without seeing it. Somebody in WA has done a great marketing job in Blighty that's for sure!

Why does a pom wake up one day and think Perth is the place to move to? It's not somewhere most Aussies could be bribed into moving to, but poms think otherwise without seeing it. Somebody in WA has done a great marketing job in Blighty that's for sure!

That's true....must be the worst place to move to....apart from Canberra that is.

In answer to the OP, I don't regret moving here but there are other things I miss that aren't family & friends - mainly for me it's the buzz and energy around business in London that doesn't exist to anywhere near the same extent here in Sydney. Partially as a result, the jury is still out as to whether or not it's been a good career move. Most of the physical things about England (countryside, historic towns/villages etc) I sort of miss but not badly because they'll still be there if/when we go back. I miss a few cultural things as well but not nearly enough to regret the move. In the main it's a really nice and easy place to live and with a huge amount to see and do. I possibly "regret" not being in a life position to buy a 4x4 and bugger off around Australia for 12 months exploring more than I regret anything else.

The thing is, however much you speak to and gauge others' opinions, you can't be sure how it will make you feel until you try. And when you do try I definitely think you have to do it with a positive frame of mind and not compare back too much (be it in prices, working practices, whatever)

I have been here for over 5 years now (moving from Liverpool, UK). I think the 'missing family and friends' does ease with time but be prepared for it, it hits you hard around the 9 month mark. I use skype all the time and that helps. I don't miss anything else from the UK at all and that's an honest comment. During the first 2 years I know I used to say in the UK this and in the UK that but don't anymore. I really think the secret is to believe this is your home and to stop referring to the UK as back home. I love it here and wouldn't change a thing (other than to have two of my grown up kids out here too but they have their lives and one is moving to Canada anyway). We did compare prices to begin with but haven't done that for a very long time - what's the point! As for work, I started as a temporary teacher in a small rural school and am now the assistant principal there. My hubby's building business is growing and we definitely have a better life here. Share your knowledge and skills with your work colleagues and don't judge their system by what you have been used to - everything is relative. I have helped to incorporate many of the UK practices I was used to in my current school but I always very aware of the failings of the UK system too. Embrace Australia and all it has to offer. You need to really call it your home if you intend to stay. We became Aussie citizens in November and love our life here (Rylstone, NSW - check it out on google, it's a beautiful place). Best of luck with whatever you do. Remember it's 'your' dream not 'the' dream'. It's up to you to make it real.

I like this post. We aren't intending to stay for good, that's not why we came here, so for me "home" will always be England (this isn't my first move overseas by a long chalk fwiw). But I think the above shows a really good mindset. Love the last two sentences in particular!

I'm really glad that your perception of Australia from reading posts on this site is positive as I think it can come across as very negative by a certain few who dominate the posts and persist in running it down. There are many happy people who don't post any more - because they are happy.

I wish people would stop posting this. It's just a big fat assumption, none of us has any idea as to whether or not the positive/negative experiences shown on here are representative of the experiences of those who emigrate in general. And you're hardly coming from an objective viewpoint Bob

Plenty of people staying too I'm sure!

We're moving out of a place and a 'relocation agent' is coming to see it.

Anywhere and everywhere you can have boss and colleague troubles. But true - not as easy to just leave. Though I have found people in Oz more likely to keep to themselves. Most Aussies stay in the same place and so have their friends from school they keep in touch with. They don't need new friends. So meeting Aussies can be a mission in itself - maybe foreigners and expats all seem to meet each other. Not saying you can't meet Aussies, just it seems to be a minority of the people we meet!

Can you not move over and try the job for a few months before the rest of your family come over? (depends if you've a family or just you and your partner)

Back to OP - History is another thing you could say we miss. Things like castles and old buildings and the like. But to be fair, we hardly went around them in the UK! Having a place close to go on holiday can be an issue. There are planety of places to see in Oz, but we prefer foerign lands, and they are all a lot further away than Europe is to UK!

Has anyone ever regretted moving to Australia for reasons other than missing family and friends? Maybe money, jobs, weather, location, insects, health, something?!

Me and my husband are due to move to Sydney from the UK in June, we have never been to oz before and if we dont like it we can just come back. We dont have any family or friends that we feel we will miss so thats not an issue for us. The only thing i hope is that i love my new job as much as i love my current one.

Just looking for some negatives to level out all the positives i keep hearing...or are there no negatives?! ;)

Thanks

Why look for negatives? If you do that you might start looking and focusing on them and think "xxx was right". Just get here, do your own thing and see what you reckon.

Guest guest79615

not looking for negatives at all, im excited and want to find out as much as i can before i go...even the so called 'negatives' im told about aren't negative to me as its all part of the experience im looking forward to. I also like hearing other peoples experiences and views, its interesting..to me anyway ;) xx

Can't see your problem, get a another job, you don't have to stay with that company

not looking for negatives at all, im excited and want to find out as much as i can before i go...even the so called 'negatives' im told about aren't negative to me as its all part of the experience im looking forward to. I also like hearing other peoples experiences and views, its interesting..to me anyway ;) xx

It's good to look at others opinions but at the end of the day i reckon you'll love it :-)

You'll make you're own opinions anyway

Been said before graham, but ignore Wendees posts, god knows what motivates that type of response, other than to stir people up.

There seems to be a lot of negativity about Perth in particular for some reason. I see it from the same posters all the time though and they have an axe to grind. There are plenty of people living a fabulous lifestyle in Perth that don't ever bother with sites like this, they are here and happy with their lot.

Wouldn't worry about the job front too much, if your a reasonable sort of character and get on OK with people where you work at the moment there's no reason why you won't get on with your boss and workmates here. A lot of them will be poms anyway, so you'll have a lot in common.

If you like hot, sunny weather, beaches, clean, uncrowded City with fantastic river frontage, sport of any kind but water sports in particular, you'll love it.

Just looking for some negatives to level out all the positives i keep hearing...or are there no negatives?! ;)

Thanks

It's a huge thing for most people to migrate to Oz, as I'm sure it was for you, and now you are so close to going why on earth do you want to hear negatives?

I could give you lot's.:biggrin: I won't though, I'll give you some positive news. Aussie cities (like almost all new cities around the world) while shiny, pleasant and clean, tend to be lacking in any character, and thus they are a bit dull and lifeless.

You have managed to pick the one city in Oz that is not. Congrats

Guest guest79615

Ive not noticed any doom and gloom on here, i must be looking in wrong places! :) I'll search it out and then have a moan about it ;) but i do find pomsinoz a very happy place, full of excitement, happy people, kindness, honesty and information. I'm glad i found it xx

Ive not noticed any doom and gloom on here, i must be looking in wrong places! :) I'll search it out and then have a moan about it ;) but i do find pomsinoz a very happy place, full of excitement, happy people, kindness, honesty and information. I'm glad i found it xx

Trust me it's out there

After moving around alot, as hubby was in the army,and returning back to our home town, it was very apparent we no longer fitted in, so we took the bull my the horns and started the process of moving here. Hubby was lucky and was offered a job so we came over on a sponsored 457 visa. While he has a job and earns 3 times as much as in the Uk, the beautiful home, huge company car and more money left in the bank each week I have struggled. I came out early December and threw myself immediately into finding work, but I am now struggling as no luck on the job front (HR Officer), being stuck in all day every day as no car and nearest public transport 10 minutes drive away, so when christmas day arrived and we spoke to our families it all sunk in, we are here to stay! But if you put that aside I would say yes things are more expensive here, but we are lucky as have the wage to compensate for that plus we live on the coast, if yo want an active outdoor life then this is the place to be.

The things I miss are more than just family and friends. I miss my job and my son's school and how well my life was "set up" in the UK.

I don't regret coming as I love Australia. We knew it would be at least 2 years before we could start to think about getting back to what we left financially (we are on a 457 so restricted) and also I miss having the security of life there as the 457 is so insecure.

We knew these 2 years would be a bit difficult so I'm not complaining but sometimes it's easy to look back instead of forward.

Edited by Alaska

• 7 years later...

Lived in OZ for a total of 15 years on and off.......People think its a whole lot better than the UK but it isnt....The Aussies work long hours as well as we do.....Housing is more expensive....They have hot weather which is ok if you live by the sea or have a pool..not everyone does.....Great for a holiday lovley places to see but so does the UK.......But most of all you carnt beet the British sence of humer which i struggled with when i went back 2 years ago.....seamed a bit backwards compared to the UK ....in my opion UK standards are higher.....Its the UK for me.....x