do you regret moving for reasons other than missing family/friends??

Guest guest79615

Guest guest79615

Has anyone ever regretted moving to Australia for reasons other than missing family and friends? Maybe money, jobs, weather, location, insects, health, something?!

Me and my husband are due to move to Sydney from the UK in June, we have never been to oz before and if we dont like it we can just come back. We dont have any family or friends that we feel we will miss so thats not an issue for us. The only thing i hope is that i love my new job as much as i love my current one.

Just looking for some negatives to level out all the positives i keep hearing...or are there no negatives?! ;)

Thanks

Hi LornaG,

I've spent 30 odd years in Australia and returned to the UK a few years ago.I may return to Australia to live at some stage,as yet undecided.I am a realists though so thought I would share my thoughts.Firstly please don't base your move on having watched Wanted Down Under.Its about as realistic as watching Escape to the Country.Not everyone can afford a beautiful 5 bed farmhouse in rolling countryside in the UK.Some people whinge they don't have enough family time in the UK,and for some reason think they have to move 10,000 miles away to achieve this.Why?One person said they had to work 60+hrs plus a week (in UK)to survive.I don't have to work that much,infact I'm a working class person but I have a good life.If you have to work that much?You're doing something wrong,don't blame the country.Some people claim they move to get more quality family time?I don't understand why they can't do that here?(UK)Some move for better weather,and yes you will get that,but be prepared also for cold weather.You might read the weather in Oz in winter and laugh when its 14c,but believe me when you have become aclimatised 14c will be cold.Most homes don't have central heating.I think its nice to move to Oz with a balanced viewpoint of both countries.Keep an open mind.Don't live the "dream"its much kinder to live the reality.I'm quite happy to give you the positives about Oz too!Good luck with your move,hope its all you want it to be and more.xx

I lived overseas prior to Australia and was unhappy there. I missed the UK as a whole, separately to missing family and friends, I missed hearing UK accents, UK humour (yes including that on TV), familiar UK shops. When I went back I was so excited being in Tescos, I was practically dancing round the aisles.

Most of my unhappiness came from work though, without a shadow of a doubt and my work permit was linked to the job so there was no way out but to leave, which I did after sticking at it for 2 years.

• Like 1

46 years now, and after getting through the horror of the first 3 yrs or so then all good. Moved to 4 different states/territories to find the right location, not something most poms do. Good luck with your move

Edited by Wendee

I may get slated for expressing my personal experiences but hey ho!!

I don't regret move to Oz as its something I have worked towards for most of my life in one way or another..the thought of buying a house in the UK was not for me, as moving to Oz was all I ever wanted. So here we are, a year after moving to Oz and things that I never expected to be sooooo different are, for example my job (social work) it is soooo backwards its not even funny..ironic really as part of the reason I studied it was because it was on the jobs in demand list (plus having a genuine interest in the field). It would appear from working in Oz that people lack alot of common sense, professionalism....and on it goes! I could write a whole book on how not to practice social work just from my year working in Oz! So for me the job is a huge part of why I'm not settling.

My Dad has recently visited and it is clear his health is deteriorating, we are a close family so thats always going to be a struggle.

Money dissapears in a flash...you take $50 out of the cash machine (I think of it as a 20 pound note..you cant buy alot with it) and its gone before you know it. As I havent secured a perm job (mainly coz I cant drive and 95% of social work jobs say it is essential to do so..even if it does not reuire a license for the role!! Bizzare..doesnt make sense..if you dont need to drive why is it essential to have a drivers license??) im always wary on how much I spend just in case I am out of work the week after. I have always had a fulltime perm job with the stability of knowing each month in the UK knowing i had X amount going into my bank.

I wanted out of the UK 'for a better life' in Oz where on previous holidays/whv I have had the most amazing times!! Living the dream does not exist in my opinion, and I am so looking forward to going back to the Uk for a 3 week hol in march..that will be the decider for me I think..stay or go??!!

Living in Oz works better for some than it does others..depends on your job/if you can get work, if you have a close family............so many variables as to why it will or wont work..I wouls say give it a go..better to know one way or another....I wouldnt sell a house (if you have one) just in case...I know people that have lived here for years and didnt sell the house and will probably return to live in the UK at some point.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Like 1

I may get slated for expressing my personal experiences but hey ho!!

I don't regret move to Oz as its something I have worked towards for most of my life in one way or another..the thought of buying a house in the UK was not for me, as moving to Oz was all I ever wanted. So here we are, a year after moving to Oz and things that I never expected to be sooooo different are, for example my job (social work) it is soooo backwards its not even funny..ironic really as part of the reason I studied it was because it was on the jobs in demand list (plus having a genuine interest in the field). It would appear from working in Oz that people lack alot of common sense, professionalism....and on it goes! I could write a whole book on how not to practice social work just from my year working in Oz! So for me the job is a huge part of why I'm not settling.

My Dad has recently visited and it is clear his health is deteriorating, we are a close family so thats always going to be a struggle.

Money dissapears in a flash...you take $50 out of the cash machine (I think of it as a 20 pound note..you cant buy alot with it) and its gone before you know it. As I havent secured a perm job (mainly coz I cant drive and 95% of social work jobs say it is essential to do so..even if it does not reuire a license for the role!! Bizzare..doesnt make sense..if you dont need to drive why is it essential to have a drivers license??) im always wary on how much I spend just in case I am out of work the week after. I have always had a fulltime perm job with the stability of knowing each month in the UK knowing i had X amount going into my bank.

I wanted out of the UK 'for a better life' in Oz where on previous holidays/whv I have had the most amazing times!! Living the dream does not exist in my opinion, and I am so looking forward to going back to the Uk for a 3 week hol in march..that will be the decider for me I think..stay or go??!!

Living in Oz works better for some than it does others..depends on your job/if you can get work, if you have a close family............so many variables as to why it will or wont work..I wouls say give it a go..better to know one way or another....I wouldnt sell a house (if you have one) just in case...I know people that have lived here for years and didnt sell the house and will probably return to live in the UK at some point.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

sorry for jumping on your thread LORNA G but Wellers and Whitehead what kind of things get you going about social being backward? Are you in CP? I enjoy my career and have alot of experience and would feel challenged by lack of motivation to change the so called backwardness..is this the case?

sorry for jumping on your thread LORNA G but Wellers and Whitehead what kind of things get you going about social being backward? Are you in CP? I enjoy my career and have alot of experience and would feel challenged by lack of motivation to change the so called backwardness..is this the case?

I can't nearly read your message as on phone and can't read it in the sun. Are you in the UK? Social worker? In Cp? Planning to emigrate? I will pm you later when I can see what i'm writing. :-)

I can't nearly read your message as on phone and can't read it in the sun. Are you in the UK? Social worker? In Cp? Planning to emigrate? I will pm you later when I can see what i'm writing. :-)

Yes i live in N ireland but practice in the republic of Ireland. I am in Child Protection (CP) just wondering if you were too? I have reached team leader level. Thanks I have my visa 175 me and husband and our 2 kids need tro validate by aug. thinking sydney or brisbane

Yes i live in N ireland but practice in the republic of Ireland. I am in Child Protection (CP) just wondering if you were too? I have reached team leader level. Thanks I have my visa 175 me and husband and our 2 kids need tro validate by aug. thinking sydney or brisbane

Yeh I was Cp/lac sw fir 5 years in UK, will pm u later. I'm in Sydney (apparently one if the better states fir Cp!!?? I will pm later.

I have been here for over 5 years now (moving from Liverpool, UK). I think the 'missing family and friends' does ease with time but be prepared for it, it hits you hard around the 9 month mark. I use skype all the time and that helps. I don't miss anything else from the UK at all and that's an honest comment. During the first 2 years I know I used to say in the UK this and in the UK that but don't anymore. I really think the secret is to believe this is your home and to stop referring to the UK as back home. I love it here and wouldn't change a thing (other than to have two of my grown up kids out here too but they have their lives and one is moving to Canada anyway). We did compare prices to begin with but haven't done that for a very long time - what's the point! As for work, I started as a temporary teacher in a small rural school and am now the assistant principal there. My hubby's building business is growing and we definitely have a better life here. Share your knowledge and skills with your work colleagues and don't judge their system by what you have been used to - everything is relative. I have helped to incorporate many of the UK practices I was used to in my current school but I always very aware of the failings of the UK system too. Embrace Australia and all it has to offer. You need to really call it your home if you intend to stay. We became Aussie citizens in November and love our life here (Rylstone, NSW - check it out on google, it's a beautiful place). Best of luck with whatever you do. Remember it's 'your' dream not 'the' dream'. It's up to you to make it real.

Edited by caronandrod
  • Like 1

For us the first time we left Australia was because we used to get very bored. We lived (and now live again) in the outback, and it does get exceedingly boring some weekends. Feels like it's all about work and we work long hours. Plus don't get as much time off as in the UK, which makes holidaying a bit tricky as there is always the battle between going back to the UK for a holiday (and pressure from family to do so) or exploring a bit more down here.

The second time round, we're back in the outback, but made choices this time round to combat the boredom a bit more. We have a nicer house with a nicer garden, so it's a nicer environment to be bored in! Plus we have invested in hobbies that we can do here. OH bought a chainsaw and that keeps him busy when summer cools down a little. I do lots of crafts and stuff I can do inside when it's baking hot outside. I do lots of cooking and baking but have to limit that as its not so good for the waistline! I think others, in our shoes, would not find our lifestyle that boring, but I think we are nomads at heart and struggle to stay in one spot for too long. Some folks are happy sitting in front of the tv most nights but that does our heads in!

I miss the UK every day. Not just family and friends but the landscape, lack of flies, lack of red dirt, the sea (we lived in Cornwall), the huge variety of things to do outside all year round, healthcare system (I have yet to find a doctor here that I think really cares about people). But, having said all that, right now the money makes up for those things. One day it won't be and we will move back home. I don't regret either move out here, Australia has given us a huge amount in terms of our career development and cash in the bank, and we love the opportunity to live in other countries and hopefully do a bit more travelling here.

At the end of the day if we decided tonight that we want to move back, we could put steps in motion tomorrow, and be back within a few months. Knowing that we have that option open to us has actually helped me settle more. I don't feel trapped, and I know that the option is there should we need it. Meanwhile, we shall continue to enjoy the adventure, even if it is sometimes a bit dull!

I'm really glad that your perception of Australia from reading posts on this site is positive as I think it can come across as very negative by a certain few who dominate the posts and persist in running it down. There are many happy people who don't post any more - because they are happy. Caronandrod is an excellent post - it is all about your own attitude and being determined to make it work. You can come up with negatives - the flies are a pain but they in Perth they come out in November and are gone by Christmas generally, it's hot but everything has a/c, it's expensive but you can also buy things cheaply if you know where to go. I can't think of any negatives, I love it.

• Like 1

Funny, as we do the same job, but one of the main factors if we left would be to chase the higher money available outside Oz.

For us the first time we left Australia was because we used to get very bored. We lived (and now live again) in the outback, and it does get exceedingly boring some weekends. Feels like it's all about work and we work long hours. Plus don't get as much time off as in the UK, which makes holidaying a bit tricky as there is always the battle between going back to the UK for a holiday (and pressure from family to do so) or exploring a bit more down here.

The second time round, we're back in the outback, but made choices this time round to combat the boredom a bit more. We have a nicer house with a nicer garden, so it's a nicer environment to be bored in! Plus we have invested in hobbies that we can do here. OH bought a chainsaw and that keeps him busy when summer cools down a little. I do lots of crafts and stuff I can do inside when it's baking hot outside. I do lots of cooking and baking but have to limit that as its not so good for the waistline! I think others, in our shoes, would not find our lifestyle that boring, but I think we are nomads at heart and struggle to stay in one spot for too long. Some folks are happy sitting in front of the tv most nights but that does our heads in!

I miss the UK every day. Not just family and friends but the landscape, lack of flies, lack of red dirt, the sea (we lived in Cornwall), the huge variety of things to do outside all year round, healthcare system (I have yet to find a doctor here that I think really cares about people). But, having said all that, right now the money makes up for those things. One day it won't be and we will move back home. I don't regret either move out here, Australia has given us a huge amount in terms of our career development and cash in the bank, and we love the opportunity to live in other countries and hopefully do a bit more travelling here.

At the end of the day if we decided tonight that we want to move back, we could put steps in motion tomorrow, and be back within a few months. Knowing that we have that option open to us has actually helped me settle more. I don't feel trapped, and I know that the option is there should we need it. Meanwhile, we shall continue to enjoy the adventure, even if it is sometimes a bit dull!

Funny, as we do the same job, but one of the main factors if we left would be to chase the higher money available outside Oz.

Comes down to other factors though, as well as taking into account salary (and I've just had a $15k payrise thanks very much!), we also took into account both being able to work in the same town on residential rosters, but for different companies. So we get to see each other every day, but we don't have all our eggs in one basket, which I'm thankful about at the moment. My company is doing very well and looking to expand next year (one of the only ones in Kal that is), whereas my OH's company is taking more drastic cost-cutting measures and aren't hiring anyone, not even replacements. We had to balance earning potential against liveability. Going anywhere else would invariably involve FIFO, which has it's own costs and ain't no good if you're thinking of having a family any time soon. For a couple where both halves are in the mining industry, living somewhere like Kal allows us to be together but also progress our careers.

We also don't need more money than what we're earning right now, only greed would make us want FIFO jobs for more money. One of our incomes goes back to the UK and is paying off our mortgage. in 12 to 15 months time I'll hopefully be writing a post in PIO saying we've just paid off our house in Cornwall after 4 years of owning it (first time buyers). No-one I know in the UK could ever dream of doing that and for that reason alone I'm incredibly grateful for our earning potential in Australia. All my friends back home are on their 25 year mortgages and they'll take 25 years to pay them off.

I have a friend working in Mali as a Senior Geotechnical Engineer. He counts down the weeks to go in terms of burgers. Every sunday they have burgers, so on Facebook I see comments like '4 burgers to go'. Having experienced something similar, I don't envy that.

• Like 1

Xmas seems to be a new one ;) The cold and darkness, carol singers and pubs! Xmas isn't the same here. Still. Not many places you can go and see bikini babes with santa hats on playing in the sea! :)

Silver linings and clouds. ;)

I think if you're making Australia a home, you'll always be able to find things better and worse. And that will be different for each person. So look around and work out what you miss - then see what you've got and decide if you're in the right place or not ;)

Oh. And real cadburys chocolate.

It just doesn't taste quite right here.

Apparently it's true for M&M's too.

As you know, I prefer FIFO. It is the shorter swings that keeps me in Oz as I prefer not to go back to long swings. Week on week off suits me fine. In saying that, roles for me in greenfield exploration are becoming thinner and thinner on the ground in Oz and I am now looking at roles outside of Oz. I have put my hand in for a role in Spain and another in Ireland. The later are offering a salary about what I get now and it would be residential.

I do find that the long fifo rosters can be good, if the job is good. Best job I have had was in china on a 7:1. Would go back in a flash.

I know, having done several years of brownfield / near mine exploration, I never want to see a mine again.

Comes down to other factors though, as well as taking into account salary (and I've just had a $15k payrise thanks very much!), we also took into account both being able to work in the same town on residential rosters, but for different companies. So we get to see each other every day, but we don't have all our eggs in one basket, which I'm thankful about at the moment. My company is doing very well and looking to expand next year (one of the only ones in Kal that is), whereas my OH's company is taking more drastic cost-cutting measures and aren't hiring anyone, not even replacements. We had to balance earning potential against liveability. Going anywhere else would invariably involve FIFO, which has it's own costs and ain't no good if you're thinking of having a family any time soon. For a couple where both halves are in the mining industry, living somewhere like Kal allows us to be together but also progress our careers.

We also don't need more money than what we're earning right now, only greed would make us want FIFO jobs for more money. One of our incomes goes back to the UK and is paying off our mortgage. in 12 to 15 months time I'll hopefully be writing a post in PIO saying we've just paid off our house in Cornwall after 4 years of owning it (first time buyers). No-one I know in the UK could ever dream of doing that and for that reason alone I'm incredibly grateful for our earning potential in Australia. All my friends back home are on their 25 year mortgages and they'll take 25 years to pay them off.

I have a friend working in Mali as a Senior Geotechnical Engineer. He counts down the weeks to go in terms of burgers. Every sunday they have burgers, so on Facebook I see comments like '4 burgers to go'. Having experienced something similar, I don't envy that.

Ireland would be nice, saw a job recently for a Resource Geo in Northern Ireland for Dalradian Resources, and thought if that came up in 2 or 3 years I would be on it like a shot! Applying for chartership this year so that should open a few more doors in the future. Not so critical now as we're not listed at the moment, which is an interesting position to be in.

I've always reckoned Greenland would be really interesting. Just love the thought of glaciers receding and revealing beautiful big massive sulphide zones!

Sorry, totally off track from the original post! But yeah, lets just say that in a few years if the right job or opportunity comes up in Europe, it will be an easy choice for me to make.

Thanks you to the people who like my comment (I have send friend requests). One thing I have definitely learned is that if you surround yourself with positive people it is very difficult to be negative.

Yes there are some things I don't really like - it gets really cold where I am in the winter - so we wrap up warmer.

Petrol and grocery shopping is more expensive in rural areas (where I live) than in the city - but I LOVE THE COUNTRY AND CHOOSE TO LIVE HERE

Overall you need to see the glass half full instead of half empty - far too many whingers on PIO sometimes.

I wouldn't worry about it. I have never been asked for it and I dont know anyone that has, including guys with 20+ years in the game. Far more important to be able to act as competent person for reporting.

I have a mate in Greenland with Black Angel who loves it.

Ireland would be nice, saw a job recently for a Resource Geo in Northern Ireland for Dalradian Resources, and thought if that came up in 2 or 3 years I would be on it like a shot! Applying for chartership this year so that should open a few more doors in the future. Not so critical now as we're not listed at the moment, which is an interesting position to be in.

I've always reckoned Greenland would be really interesting. Just love the thought of glaciers receding and revealing beautiful big massive sulphide zones!

Sorry, totally off track from the original post! But yeah, lets just say that in a few years if the right job or opportunity comes up in Europe, it will be an easy choice for me to make.

Guest guest79615

thanks for the info :) i especially liked the fact about chocolate tasting different, little things like that are good to know but often get forgotten :) x

thanks for the info :) i especially liked the fact about chocolate tasting different, little things like that are good to know but often get forgotten :) x

How odd to say "the chocolate tastes different" when in reality ALL chocolate tastes different?? Oh and there are some amazing chocolatiers in Australia particularly making organic chocolates. Here's a link to one.

http://www.lindsayandedmunds.com.au/

Wendee, it's talking about the same brands. Everyone knows different brands will taste differently, but people may be intrigued to know that Cadbury's in the UK tastes batter than Australian Cadbury's (in my opinion anyway). I do wish you would stop trying to pick arguments.

Yes - Cadburies in the UK is better than Oz (we assume due to the need of a higher melting point in Oz? So it's not jsut liquid on the shelves!)

And European (German?) M&M's are better than the one in Oz (no idea if european ones include UK?) - but our Oz friends bought back a suitcase of M&Ms when they visited after being amazed there was a difference (and such a difference) - I'd never know it till they told me :)

There are plenty of chocolatiers in Oz. But good quality chocolate from chocolate shops seems good around the world! :)

We really like in Melbourne, the Chocolait cafe. You can get a drinking shot of belgian chocolate for $7 and it's sooooo good!

... we got to try the eating choc shot for $8 next.

(and when they say 'shot' they mean glass - we normally share ours)

'English' Pubs are missed, but then there are some of those in Melbourne if you know where to look (we like the Sherlock Holmes)

And you can get some of the ales there (hobgoblin is the one I remember)

In the same way people miss home, they bring it here - so everyone can get a taste of home.

I've heard there is a 'UK' or 'English' shop around - where you can buy UK cadburies and various UK sweet brands. Not had the need to go myself. But other friends love it (no idea where it is)

I thought I'd reply with places we recommend! :)

Ahhh!

Indian curries! (and by that I mean proper English-Indian curries!)

The curries here are too... authentic! :) Taste more like India than Leicester!

But it's not all bad - the cheaper places here seem to have curry that tastes a little more like home

(and being more authentic - I assume they are healthier than the UK curries! :)

We moved to Oz 6 years ago now and the time has just flown by, we are living on the Central Coast about an hour from Sydney, i would say that of course you do miss family and friends, but you must keep Positive, it is very different even to the point of Humour is different, and we do miss that , but you can't move to another country and expect it to be the same , the only downfall i would say is people from the UK don't tend to visit like you thought they would as it is so far away as they say, and of course it is but well worth the trip when they get here, we have had one visit from my Mother in Law when we first came and nobody since which gets you down a bit as i think it would be easier if you had maybe one person a year, I have a friend coming at last at the end of jan and looking forward to that she is coming for 5 weeks so we will be busy, we have sometimes said should we go back but we know that it wouldn't be the right thing to do and would regret going back if we did. Our two children are 19 and 22 now and our son has just got engaged, daughter is still living at home. If you meet nice people which isn't as easy as you think, well not when you have grown up children i don't think, but if you do you will be fine it takes a while to settle certainly doesn't happen overnight. Hope this helps happy to talk anytime i have just come back on here haven't been on this for ages. As regards getting work again not that easy who you know i have found not what, but can't be as bad as the job situation back home i wouldn't have thought, it all depends what work you are doing, I worked for the Council before i came had a nice job, and am working in a Call Centre now for a big Company which suits me fine.

Edited by frances