Will the Peninsular Link make living in Mount Martha easier when commuting into Melbourne?

richselina

I'm interested in some hearing some viewpoints on whether the new Peninsular Link will make/improve the commuting time if you like in Mount Martha and commute into the CBD by train from Frankston more bearable. I've always been put off living in Mount Martha due to the long commute, but if this improves it I would be more happy living here than maybe Berwick which is where we've kind of settled on.

All comments welcomed.

No, I don't believe it will if you are taking the train from Frankston. You will still take the same amount of time to get to the station. The off ramps are not near the station, one is at Robinsons Road and the other is next to Karingal Shopping Centre.

It will take less time if you were driving to the city every day.

A lot of people do travel from Mornington and Mount Martha but I personally would find it too far. Its an hour on the train, so add the getting to the station, then getting to the work place and its a long commute.

If you wanted to live down this way I would look at South Frankston, easier to get to the station.

My friend traveled to Port Melbourne every day from here and did it for years, however she left at 6.30 every day and got home about 5.30 to six. So its a long day.

Frankston Station car park gets full earliest in the mornings as so many people use it to access the city.

Where I live in Somerville we have a train so a lot of people take the train to Frankston and change trains, this way they avoid the car parking problems.

Only way to find out is to do the trip and see how you go.

I reckon the suburb that is going to benefit most from this link as far as commutability goes is Langwarrin.

BB

Actual access will be best if people live in Ballam Park, Lakewood in Frankston, Baxter which people now call South Frankston and Somerville. We have an on ramp very close by but not close enough to give us noise.

Mount Eliza, Mornington and Mount Martha will have to cross the Moorooduc Road to get access to it so not really worth it if just going into Frankston.

There is a good web site giving all the on and off ramps.

Its mainly been built to bypass Frankston as there are seven sets of lights from Cranbourne Road to Frankston Flinders Road and it causes a huge bottleneck at the present time.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it will help people on pilgrimage to the peninsula to go around all us here, but will also help locals as the normal roads will be quieter with lots of cars from further south jumping on the link. So I think the op will have a quicker time to frankston from mt Martha at least. Train time will be the same obviously.

Definitely. I tried to drive to a clearing sale in Tuerong today. I was stuck in a traffic jam from Baxter to Moorooduc so I turned around and went home. I had forgotten what it's like in summer with all the day trippers heading down the peninsula.

Yep we try to stop them but they keep on coming lol

• 5 years later...