Open to questions about High School / Uni / Brisbane!

kate123

Hi!

I'm Kate, I am 18 and I have lived on the Sunshine Coast and Brisbane (for uni) for the last two years and I thought that I would come and offer up my experiences to anybody who has any questions about schooling, uni, the move here or anything related really!

I was 16 when I first made the move here and I had no idea what to expect, so hopefully I can help answer some questions you may have :D

• 4 months later...
Hi!

I'm Kate, I am 18 and I have lived on the Sunshine Coast and Brisbane (for uni) for the last two years and I thought that I would come and offer up my experiences to anybody who has any questions about schooling, uni, the move here or anything related really!

I was 16 when I first made the move here and I had no idea what to expect, so hopefully I can help answer some questions you may have :D

I sure my daughter will have a few questions for you! She's really worried about the uni admissions and will be 18 when we arrive in Brisbane next year.

That's very nice of you. we are hopefully moving to Brisbane in August and have a 16 year old, who occasionally uses this site! I will tell her to give you a shout as she will have loads of questions! Thanks in advance! :)

Hey Kate, Im 13 and moving to Queensland later this year. I'm just wondering, what's it like when you first go into school there, like are they nice? :) x x

Hi!

School was really great, I found it a lot more casual than in England, I'm sure you will get along great! A 13 year old friend of mine has just moved over here and she loves it; she found a group of friends straight away and everyone was really nice.

That's very nice of you. we are hopefully moving to Brisbane in August and have a 16 year old, who occasionally uses this site! I will tell her to give you a shout as she will have loads of questions! Thanks in advance! :)

Yeah no problem, hopefully I'll be able to help with any questions she may have :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Kate

Really nice of you to post on here for info.

We are just beginning the process of moving to brisbane and would like a little info for my son really. He is 17 and in college in the uk but hopefully will go to uni in oz. To study in the uk he can apply for student loans etc that will be only payable back once he starts to earn over a certain amount. Do you know whatthe process is there as to funding his study etc. Info would be very much appreciated.

Hi Kate

We are just beginning the process of moving to brisbane and would like a little info for my son really. He is 17 and in college in the uk but hopefully will go to uni in oz. To study in the uk he can apply for student loans etc that will be only payable back once he starts to earn over a certain amount. Do you know whatthe process is there as to funding his study etc. Info would be very much appreciated.

Hi

In terms of funding for university for non-citizens (that includes permanent residents) there isn't any.

Payment is required up front every semester with no discount (usually you get a 10-20% discount for paying up front). Universities don't accommodate for payment plans or anything; they require the full payment by a certain date and that's it (I've argued my case against them but they didn't budge).

Once you are eligible for citizenship you are entitled to a HECS loan (this is Queensland's scheme, i'm guessing it differs state to state) which is paid back once you earn over a certain amount.

I am in the same situation; I am paying for each semester upfront by working alongside uni.

The good news is that uni is much cheaper here. If you are in a high demand course, the fees are around $4000 each semester (thats twice a year).

Hi

Once you are eligible for citizenship you are entitled to a HECS loan (this is Queensland's scheme, i'm guessing it differs state to state) which is paid back once you earn over a certain amount.

Heh Kate, just a heads up that HECS-HELP is a federal scheme rather than a Qld one.

Hi Kate

Only some qualify and probably not a great deal of cash but see this: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/centrelink/youth-allowance/eligibility-for-youth-allowance

For those 25 or older: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/austudy

Edited by fish.01