Keep trying or give up?

DisillusionedScot

Hey, felt sad reading your post. Been in your position in UK. Terrible feeling, made redundant after long career in IT and just felt my age was against me at 40 :-(

took me 9 months of trying, 400 job applications before giving up UK job search! I decided to focus my job search in Oz, 4 applications, 1 skype interview and haven't looked back!!

I was lucky to land work from uk (obtained 175 visa first) but once you're here you'll find work.

In Oz, there's an underlying "fair go" policy so age won't limit you in IT as the UK does.

Good luck.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, felt sad reading your post. Been in your position in UK. Terrible feeling, made redundant after long career in IT and just felt my age was against me at 40 :-(

took me 9 months of trying, 400 job applications before giving up UK job search! I decided to focus my job search in Oz, 4 applications, 1 skype interview and haven't looked back!!

I was lucky to land work from uk (obtained 175 visa first) but once you're here you'll find work.

In Oz, there's an underlying "fair go" policy so age won't limit you in IT as the UK does.

Good luck.

The op is in Aus Steve,not sure if you know?

one man and his dog has gone missing without a trace , there are a few of us trying to locate his where abouts , that would have been nice just to let us know as so many where more than concerned about his problem and we all got involved .............

It was only aug he posted wasnt it tho? plus he said he was going rural,might not be set up to post yet Nick

• 6 months later...

Update: Hi guys, it's been some time since I had access to a computer. So here we go: I managed to get a job with the WA Department of Corrections and found a house-share in Maida Vale for myself and Max. All was going well until 8 weeks into the training when at the beginning of one section I had a small heart attack. Couldn't complete the training. A week later a GP confirmed I needed more tests, the DCS confirmed I was being dismissed because I couldn't complete the training and the owner of the house broke up with her husband and Max and me were (literally) thrown out on the streets. This all happened on the same day.

Max and me then spent the next ten days sleeping in a borrowed car around Perth. Meanwhile I was still getting help from the DCS Employee Assistance Program (whilst they awaited official confirmation of my dismissal from HR). To try to get me help they took me to Joondalup Hospital where I spent the next three weeks in the psych ward being treated (badly) for severe depression. Max meanwhile was being looked after by another prison officer.

After leaving Joondalup with nowhere to go the officer looking after Max took me in. Unfortunately all we had was a mattress on the floor of her basement down in Orelia. I got a referral to Rockingham Adult Mental Health who said that really, my only problem was social isolation and not having a job and as such could do nothing more to help.

After about five weeks I had to move on - I couldn't stand the hordes of slaters, bugs, roaches and fleas. Two of my friends back in Scotland paid for three months rent for me in Secret Harbour which I really liked. It was a house share - Mother, Son and his girlfriend, their dog (company for Max) and no stress.

One week after New Year Max died. He could no longer lie down. I had to take him on his final trip to the vets. My life has been destroyed. I cry every day and miss him so much. He was all I had.

My rent money gone and WA full of bad memories I found another house share, but this time in Melbourne (Pakenham). I simply got on a plane and left. I'm still here, waiting on Centrelink to help. I've got nothing now, no job, no savings, no Max.

I turned 48 last week and honestly, I'm scared. I'm scared of being homeless, a down and out. I guess I've given up though, just nothing left to look forward to now. Sorry guys. I wish this had been a happy ending. Sorry, but thanks to everyone who helped, who fed me and Max down in Mandurah. You're beautiful people.

Alan

Update: Hi guys, it's been some time since I had access to a computer. So here we go: I managed to get a job with the WA Department of Corrections and found a house-share in Maida Vale for myself and Max. All was going well until 8 weeks into the training when at the beginning of one section I had a small heart attack. Couldn't complete the training. A week later a GP confirmed I needed more tests, the DCS confirmed I was being dismissed because I couldn't complete the training and the owner of the house broke up with her husband and Max and me were (literally) thrown out on the streets. This all happened on the same day.

Max and me then spent the next ten days sleeping in a borrowed car around Perth. Meanwhile I was still getting help from the DCS Employee Assistance Program (whilst they awaited official confirmation of my dismissal from HR). To try to get me help they took me to Joondalup Hospital where I spent the next three weeks in the psych ward being treated (badly) for severe depression. Max meanwhile was being looked after by another prison officer.

After leaving Joondalup with nowhere to go the officer looking after Max took me in. Unfortunately all we had was a mattress on the floor of her basement down in Orelia. I got a referral to Rockingham Adult Mental Health who said that really, my only problem was social isolation and not having a job and as such could do nothing more to help.

After about five weeks I had to move on - I couldn't stand the hordes of slaters, bugs, roaches and fleas. Two of my friends back in Scotland paid for three months rent for me in Secret Harbour which I really liked. It was a house share - Mother, Son and his girlfriend, their dog (company for Max) and no stress.

One week after New Year Max died. He could no longer lie down. I had to take him on his final trip to the vets. My life has been destroyed. I cry every day and miss him so much. He was all I had.

My rent money gone and WA full of bad memories I found another house share, but this time in Melbourne (Pakenham). I simply got on a plane and left. I'm still here, waiting on Centrelink to help. I've got nothing now, no job, no savings, no Max.

I turned 48 last week and honestly, I'm scared. I'm scared of being homeless, a down and out. I guess I've given up though, just nothing left to look forward to now. Sorry guys. I wish this had been a happy ending. Sorry, but thanks to everyone who helped, who fed me and Max down in Mandurah. You're beautiful people.

Alan

Oh Alan how heartbreaking on all counts. So sorry to hear about your health problems and so very sorry you lost Max (run free little buddy).

What are you going to do now?

Have you got a CV you can take round to places? Bar work, anything, just to get some money coming in?

I understand it's been a pretty c**p time but things WILL get better. It will take a little time but they will. X

I'm sorry things just keep going wrong for you Alan and my deepest sympathies for the passing of Max, he really was the sweetest dog and as a dog owner I know he would have helped you when you were at your lowest.

I hope maybe you have a turn of fortune in Melbourne, I know when we met that day, you said that your ex and you had been planning there in the first place...but visas etc meant you ended up in WA.

Wishing I could have done more for you, but in the long run I think yours was a situation that was gong to need more help than I have experience in. But it did show me that offering to help is the right thing to do.

If you still have my email address and ever feel like a chat, or need a online shop please let me know

Fi x

It doesn't look like I'm going to find a job after trying everywhere I can think of for exactly a year now. Should I keep trying or just accept that at 46 my working life is over?

At 46 mate?? I would keep trying. I'm trying to get redundancy from this job, I'm over 60 but will still have to work for a bit yet, even with a decent redundancy payment. If you're struggling at 46 I might need a rethink.

Whoops just realised this post is a couple of years old.

Edited by Paul1Perth

Hi,

I'm so sorry about max, he was very lucky to have you who loved him so much. X

what is your plan now? Is it an option to return to the UK if you had the money? Would you be in a better place mentally if you returned? The reason I ask is 1) oz is a very very depressing and hard place to live when you do not have financial stability 2) I developed generalised anxiety disorder after never having a hint of mental health problems before but now I am back in the UK I am getting back to myself again.

Are you seeing any services in the community for your depression?

When you are at your lowest with that black cloud of depression over your head life seems like such a struggle, but it WILL get better...like it did last time...u turned it around and got a job etc.

what are you friends saying you should do?

keep smiling x

Edited by Wellers and Whitehead

What are your skills and what are you applying for? another option is to look into starting something of your own up, what kind of work would you really enjoy getting into? i don't know what your financial circumstances are but if its not urgent to pay rent and bills etc you could focus on slowly building something of your own up.

Its really easy to get an abn and register your business, i've done it myself and can all be done online... throw some business ideas at us all and i'm sure between the lot of us we could brainstorm and get you sorted :)