Keep trying or give up?

DisillusionedScot

I know there have been a lot of threads about the 475 visa lately, are you on one of those? If so, it is probably that that is the problem and once you are on the permanent visa things will be better, if they don't right themselves before then, which they probably will.

I don't have any particular tips to share, other than to persevere. It is not logical to say or think that you will never work again at the age of 46.

Unemployment is very painful, some people do not understand it, I think until you have been impacted by it, it is a hard thing to understand. My father struggled wth unemployment in the 80s recession, I was in my early teens in the 80s and the experiences of watching my parents struggle with unemployment has shaped who I am. He was in and out of work for years and at one point unemployed for 2 years in his mid 40s. However it did come right, he got a job and he was there for next 18 years until he retired at 65.

The hardest job I ever got was the first one out of university, age wasn't a problem but it was 1992 recession and nobody was recruiting. I never gave up. I always believed that something woud come up and I carried on looking for my first graduate role at the same time as looking for a role doing anything to get money in and to star to pay off my student debt. When I got the mundane job, I did it for two months and then finally got the "proper" graduate job I was hoping for. But it can be hard at any age.

Hi Rupert, I'm 176 PR which I know many on a 475 would love to have so I don't want to appear ungrateful for the opportunity. You are right though, it's not easy.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am older than you and do agree discrimination is rife. Just managed to get a short IT contract, but is hard to see candidates with much less experience sail into jobs you could do standing on your head. One thing to check - de-age your CV. I did this and got much more interest. I lobbed off the earliest 10 years, took dates off my degree and quals. Keep networking where you can (SEEK has a volunteer section as well) and don't give up. If it seems bloody hard, that's cos it is and anyone thinking there is 'loads of jobs out there' just hasn't been looking recently

My daughter found it very difficult after being on disability for a couple of years. However she worked in a pub in the gaming room because it paid more and kept persevering. She is a teacher so she did not a bit of fill in work with that as well. Finally she found a job. The problem with agencies being paid by the gov to find jobs is that they do not find them, they just assist people with their resume and keep them on their books, maybe they get paid more that way.

Since Centrelink stopped doing the job thing its been down hill I believe, all these different agencies and nothing gets done.

Before this happened there was Centrelink where job seekers signed on and they had jobs on the board and assisted people to get jobs. Then there were the private agencies who had jobs on their books and they found people jobs, the employer paying their fee.

Its very different now.

I believe that networking is the best way to job seek, the pub on a Friday afternoon for trades people. Voluntary work for meeting people. Join the local sports clubs even if you don't play sport, there is always a social membership.

Frequent the same places people then start to talk to you, even coffee bars etc are good places to meet and widen the amount of contact.

Am older than you and do agree discrimination is rife. Just managed to get a short IT contract, but is hard to see candidates with much less experience sail into jobs you could do standing on your head. One thing to check - de-age your CV. I did this and got much more interest. I lobbed off the earliest 10 years, took dates off my degree and quals. Keep networking where you can (SEEK has a volunteer section as well) and don't give up. If it seems bloody hard, that's cos it is and anyone thinking there is 'loads of jobs out there' just hasn't been looking recently

Agreed Chortlepuss. I knew there was blatant discrimination back in the UK but for some reason that I genuinely can't explain I thought things might be easier here. Quite a few people have said that employers here like employees with straight forward trade, but for lots of us coming from the UK that just isn't the case. I'm not sure just how easy it would be for me to re-train, and what's more I just don't think I'd make a good painter or plumber or electrician. DIY never has been my thing!

You're right as well about the number of 'real' jobs out there, there's a lot fewer than people realise. Someone on here said recently I should go and get a job in KFC, well, actually, if the truth be told, I'd be ok with working in KFC if it was going to help me get something better in the future, but here's the thing: when was the last time anyone saw a 46 year old guy serving in KFC or Maccas or any of those places? They won't take me on because it's minimum wage work at best, and, actually, it would look ridiculous. I can see it now: 46 yr old, 6' bearded 200lbs, serving up fries in Maccas. Come to think of it that might be quite funny! :-)

My daughter found it very difficult after being on disability for a couple of years. However she worked in a pub in the gaming room because it paid more and kept persevering. She is a teacher so she did not a bit of fill in work with that as well. Finally she found a job. The problem with agencies being paid by the gov to find jobs is that they do not find them, they just assist people with their resume and keep them on their books, maybe they get paid more that way.

Since Centrelink stopped doing the job thing its been down hill I believe, all these different agencies and nothing gets done.

Before this happened there was Centrelink where job seekers signed on and they had jobs on the board and assisted people to get jobs. Then there were the private agencies who had jobs on their books and they found people jobs, the employer paying their fee.

Its very different now.

I believe that networking is the best way to job seek, the pub on a Friday afternoon for trades people. Voluntary work for meeting people. Join the local sports clubs even if you don't play sport, there is always a social membership.

Frequent the same places people then start to talk to you, even coffee bars etc are good places to meet and widen the amount of contact.

Petals, many thanks for your input, I *genuinely* had no idea that centrelink didn't deal with jobs. So, is it only private agencies that do that now? I applied to one last night via a banner on here for driving jobs in the mines and they replied today, but when I asked some questions it turns out they want me to pay $214 up front and what I get for that isn't a job, or even being put forward for a job, but 'advice'. I think once Christmas and New Year is over and done with I'll try and get some voluntary work, not sure where or what yet but I'll get my thinking cap and see if I can find something (although I have tried some places already), but we'll see what happens.

Agreed Chortlepuss. I knew there was blatant discrimination back in the UK but for some reason that I genuinely can't explain I thought things might be easier here. Quite a few people have said that employers here like employees with straight forward trade, but for lots of us coming from the UK that just isn't the case. I'm not sure just how easy it would be for me to re-train, and what's more I just don't think I'd make a good painter or plumber or electrician. DIY never has been my thing!

You're right as well about the number of 'real' jobs out there, there's a lot fewer than people realise. Someone on here said recently I should go and get a job in KFC, well, actually, if the truth be told, I'd be ok with working in KFC if it was going to help me get something better in the future, but here's the thing: when was the last time anyone saw a 46 year old guy serving in KFC or Maccas or any of those places? They won't take me on because it's minimum wage work at best, and, actually, it would look ridiculous. I can see it now: 46 yr old, 6' bearded 200lbs, serving up fries in Maccas. Come to think of it that might be quite funny! :-)

I have seen plenty of older people in maccas and KFC. They would not discriminate against your age as they will be expected to have a percentage of older people and people from etnic minorites as they are global companies.

Have a nice day :-)

As someone else suggested, remove your DOB from your CV etc and, if you have a pic of yourself currently in your CV, remove that as well.

Are you applying for jobs via e-mail? Are you sending from a '.co.uk' address? If you are, maybe set up a '.com' address.

Keep trying mate, something will come along for you, I'm sure.

All the best!

As someone else suggested, remove your DOB from your CV etc and, if you have a pic of yourself currently in your CV, remove that as well.

Are you applying for jobs via e-mail? Are you sending from a '.co.uk' address? If you are, maybe set up a '.com' address.

Keep trying mate, something will come along for you, I'm sure.

All the best!

Hi frogian, I'll remove my age from my CV and see if that helps. I reckon I could guess at someone's age from their level and types of work experience though. I now have a .com email address so hopefully that will help. Definitely not got a photo of me on the CV - that would scare even me!

Thanks for the input though, appreciated and good solid advice.

I have seen plenty of older people in maccas and KFC. They would not discriminate against your age as they will be expected to have a percentage of older people and people from etnic minorites as they are global companies.

Have a nice day :-)

Hi colinmaclec. I hear what you're saying, would you mind if I asked what age you are? I'm just wondering if what you think of as older may be the same as my definition? I also do appreciate and hear what you're saying and absolutely believe you when you say you've seen older people in those jobs, I can say however that in my experience I've genuinely, never seen anyone of my age working in either KFC, Maccas, or Burger King (what's it called here?). I do believe you, but I just haven't seen it and I've been in those kind of places everywhere from Scotland, England, France, Canada, Holland and Australia as well.

Perhaps they may employ someone of my age behind the scenes, management maybe?

Hi colinmaclec. I hear what you're saying, would you mind if I asked what age you are? I'm just wondering if what you think of as older may be the same as my definition? I also do appreciate and hear what you're saying and absolutely believe you when you say you've seen older people in those jobs, I can say however that in my experience I've genuinely, never seen anyone of my age working in either KFC, Maccas, or Burger King (what's it called here?). I do believe you, but I just haven't seen it and I've been in those kind of places everywhere from Scotland, England, France, Canada, Holland and Australia as well.

Perhaps they may employ someone of my age behind the scenes, management maybe?

Get a grip 46 is hardly old how about getting some life coaching there is a guy on gumtree perth offering coaching plus services to enhance your cv update it more professional looking I,m 43 and coming to perth march with a two year old and a new born on its way

your a young man go for it experience counts for loads who the hell wants a daft boy

Face to face is best good luck to you sir don't give up you have loads to offer

Hi frogian, I'll remove my age from my CV and see if that helps. I reckon I could guess at someone's age from their level and types of work experience though. I now have a .com email address so hopefully that will help. Definitely not got a photo of me on the CV - that would scare even me!

Thanks for the input though, appreciated and good solid advice.

If you aren't tailoring your CV for each application you are likely to struggle to find work. Likewise if you are applying for roles without the appropriate qualifications you are unlikely to be competitive.

Your age won't be the issue - look instead at the quality of your applications if you aren't being invited to interviews. If you are falling down at the interview stage consider investing in a couple of coaching sessions.

Good luck

Get a grip 46 is hardly old how about getting some life coaching there is a guy on gumtree perth offering coaching plus services to enhance your cv update it more professional looking I,m 43 and coming to perth march with a two year old and a new born on its way

your a young man go for it experience counts for loads who the hell wants a daft boy

You would like to think experience counts for loads, however from my experience in Australia, young management with little experience seems to be the way forward here!!?

Hi Disillusionedscot, not much in the way of advice but your story sadly is very common for many starting out in Perth. We arrived in Perth from Scotland 3 years ago, my husband was an HGV driver in Scotland (i think thats what your looking for is it not?) and for love nor money couldn't get jack ****. He was all for going home & working to save as he felt he was letting me down by being out of work & I guess fed up of constant rejections & sometimes not even a reply. He had to do his HR, that helped, he now has MC. But even then, he got a job with the council rarely driving the trucks. We're in Brisbane now, planning to return & our only hope is that he can transfer via the company he currently works with. He is 36.

By contrast, a friend of mine & her husband, both mid-late 40's, Scottish. HGV driver, couldn't get work for a few weeks, couple of months max. He was temporary at the time tho, soon as he got PR he knocked on everyone's door. In person. He's rather cocky, gift of the gab. Anyway, he landed a job doing HGV up & down the coast, in/out the mines & has worked with them ever since. 1.5yrs. I reckon he had to do his HC too tho. He basically saw where all the transport, logistics & haulage was (Welshpool) went there & asked for work. He lives NOR but drives down to Welshpool to pick up the wagon & away he goes. Hard work though. I wouldn't want my hubby doing it. Hours are terrible.

So many people reckon they can come over & land the big bucks driving in the mines, in reality only the lucky few end up doing that kind of work. If my hubby could start over he'd be in Uni working towards a qualification, but you just gotta keep plugging away. Your time will come & your defo not too old!

Good luck

Disillusiond Scott, where about are you and what are you looking for?

Hi genorm, I'm in Mandurah. I'd like a driving job, perhaps with a view to doing HR (Heavy Rigid) work if I got that license. I'm qualified for a lot more but right now I'd appreciate just some money coming in and doing one of the things I really like doing which is of-course driving.

Thanks Jake, appreciate the support. I think perhaps I will have a look for the chap on Gumtree, maybe I do need that. :-)

You would like to think experience counts for loads, however from my experience in Australia, young management with little experience seems to be the way forward here!!?

Yeah, my partner works in an office and at 40 she's the oldest there with the exception of the Director, then again, she works in media which is quite a young-person oriented kind of thing (I think).

I am feeling quite old here esp. after seeing the youngsters working in Big W this afternoon! I swear some of them still had nappies on! :-)

It's odd isn't it? In Brisbane IT 2-5 years experience seems to be the preferred amount, but I've noticed that in Melbourne they tend to go for 5-10+ Typically I see people in 'head of' roles where in the UK, they'd be lucky to get into the team.... invariably it's someone's relative or mate who gets the job, and turning your mates down is considerably more challenging here then the risk of failing to deliver because your team is inexperienced. It sucks, and leads to a very low bar.

It's very frustrating as someone with 20 years+ to be turned down frequently for having 'too much experience' but a recruiter suggested to me that in Brisbane, the maturity and experience of the hiring managers is low, and they are threatened by someone perceived as more experienced than them. I'm totally over it now, I don't see why it's a problem that i can do the job well, particularly for 3-6 month contracts, I'm hardly going to want the manager's job, but there you are.

It's odd isn't it? In Brisbane IT 2-5 years experience seems to be the preferred amount, but I've noticed that in Melbourne they tend to go for 5-10+ Typically I see people in 'head of' roles where in the UK, they'd be lucky to get into the team.... invariably it's someone's relative or mate who gets the job, and turning your mates down is considerably more challenging here then the risk of failing to deliver because your team is inexperienced. It sucks, and leads to a very low bar.

It's very frustrating as someone with 20 years+ to be turned down frequently for having 'too much experience' but a recruiter suggested to me that in Brisbane, the maturity and experience of the hiring managers is low, and they are threatened by someone perceived as more experienced than them. I'm totally over it now, I don't see why it's a problem that i can do the job well, particularly for 3-6 month contracts, I'm hardly going to want the manager's job, but there you are.

Well said! My big boss (in charge of 50 people) is ten years younger than me..he's 25!! It would appear one way or another he is getting rid of the experienced staff, hiring very young people with little/none experience in my field. Don't understand it!?

Well I do, would imagine he would feel better about himself if his staff know less than him, hence hiring naive young ones.

It's funny what you say about people running the show here, not getting a job in the team in the UK, so very true. I apparently have extensive experience in my field in Oz, but in the UK, I see myself just average and I would def not be seen add having extensive experience in the UK, with only 5 years post qualification experience. Bizzare!

apologies if this has already been done to death, but..

have you tried recruitment agencies, (i can hear the boos and hisses from here!)

as much as they take a cut and cheapen the workforce, if they have all the contracts you pretty much have to.

let them do the legwork and get you a foot in the door.

that way you can spend more time doing what you want to do, well until the phone rings!

apologies if this has already been done to death, but..

have you tried recruitment agencies, (i can hear the boos and hisses from here!)

as much as they take a cut and cheapen the workforce, if they have all the contracts you pretty much have to.

let them do the legwork and get you a foot in the door.

that way you can spend more time doing what you want to do, well until the phone rings!

flybyknight, yeah, I tried a couple of agencies, but they seem to be having problems finding a niche to put me in. The last one said that my CV looked far too broad, but if I make it more focused then it's just look bare I think. I reckon the issue they have is because I not a specialist in any particular field, more a jack of all trades which I'm thinking doesn't go down well here.

I'll try a few more in the New Year and see if I perhaps say, 'I want a driving job', maybe that will help.