Keep trying or give up?

DisillusionedScot

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are still young at 46! With the way life expectancy is increasing, you may only be half way! I don't have any amazing advice to give.... but just wanted to say (having also seen your other thread) try and keep your chin up, I hope you are able to report much better news very soon.

Thanks Tickled Pink. I appreciate it. Guess I'm just feeling a bit old this week. Other than my partner I haven't spoken to another living being for some time now.

Other than my partner I haven't spoken to another living being for some time now.

Why not ?

Sorry don't really know you're story but don't give up.

For job hunting you need to talk to people, agents, employers etc. Try to set up meets if you can.

They get so many resumes that you need to stand out.

Having said all that. I'm out of work too. 6 months now.

Still can't ever give up. Have to keep going.

Thanks Tickled Pink. I appreciate it. Guess I'm just feeling a bit old this week. Other than my partner I haven't spoken to another living being for some time now.

There is always a steady flow of general chat on here. I know its not quite the same, but it might help you make some connections with other people living in your area... it is hard if you don't have lots of social contact. It makes it difficult to get out and about. Do you maybe have a gym near you? I know that would be additional expense, but just having somewhere you can go and be around people might help.

Hello there!! Sorry about your job dilemma, I feel the same and on top having problems with my OH but thats another story!!! I know what it is like to go days not talking to anyone. I came here and left family and friend, but was committed, just nearly 6 months on and feel very fed up!! Got some casual work so working Christmas and New Year or I would go mad talking to myself. Will be thinking of you, keep your chin up and never give up!!!:xmas21:

Why not ?

Sorry don't really know you're story but don't give up.

For job hunting you need to talk to people, agents, employers etc. Try to set up meets if you can.

They get so many resumes that you need to stand out.

Having said all that. I'm out of work too. 6 months now.

Still can't ever give up. Have to keep going.

Hi Parleycross, I guess that other than walking the dogs I just don't see anyone here. I've applied for everything I can think of from driving jobs, cleaning, sales to IT Management, been to see folks who work in the same areas I used to work in, tried asking about voluntary. I think maybe employers might be looking at my age and thinking, I don't really know, maybe they just reckon I'm too old.

There must be lots of folk like me though, the spouses who've tagged along.

Daytime really does suck! :-)

There is always a steady flow of general chat on here. I know its not quite the same, but it might help you make some connections with other people living in your area... it is hard if you don't have lots of social contact. It makes it difficult to get out and about. Do you maybe have a gym near you? I know that would be additional expense, but just having somewhere you can go and be around people might help.

Yeah, I go to the gym about 4 or 5 days a week which kind of keeps the sanity for an hour or so! That does help. I used to work in a project where I was talking non-stop throughout the day - I was an IT Tutor working with people with drug and alcohol issues and mental health problems, so yeah, it's definitely a change to go from being constantly busy to having very little to do.

My partner leaves the house at 7:15 and doesn't get home until 6:30 so the days can be long, and I guess for her it's difficult because all I want to do is hear about her day in detail at a time when she just wants to crash, which in understandable, commuting from Mandurah to Perth can't be much fun.

Hello there!! Sorry about your job dilemma, I feel the same and on top having problems with my OH but thats another story!!! I know what it is like to go days not talking to anyone. I came here and left family and friend, but was committed, just nearly 6 months on and feel very fed up!! Got some casual work so working Christmas and New Year or I would go mad talking to myself. Will be thinking of you, keep your chin up and never give up!!!:xmas21:

Hi Polly, yeah I understand completely. I miss my old job badly where I talked to people all day long. Really miss that. I guess PIO is a little bit of a substitute maybe.

sorry if this comes over a bit harsh ...but 46 is not OLD ...ffs !! .....if its more boredom that setting in then why dont u volunteer to work with the salvos ....im sure at this time of the year they could do with all the help they can get .....u could also join ur local volunteer bush fire brigade that could possibly lead to a full time job when u get to know everyone ...over here its who u know not what u know ...getting out nd communicating with people is the only way to find work ...it wont come to you

mrs keily

With your experience have you contacted the charities, they are always looking for volunteers and it can lead to a permanent job. It also widens your contact base and that is what you really need, good contacts. You could start off a couple of days a week and just see how you go.

My brothers partner has just trained to look after disabled people. He had worked in a lab all his working life before this, in his fifties and he has plenty of work now he has taken this on.

I think look outside the normal square and you may just find something you really like.

Good luck, do not give up, you are a youngster

sorry if this comes over a bit harsh ...but 46 is not OLD ...ffs !! .....if its more boredom that setting in then why dont u volunteer to work with the salvos ....im sure at this time of the year they could do with all the help they can get .....u could also join ur local volunteer bush fire brigade that could possibly lead to a full time job when u get to know everyone ...over here its who u know not what u know ...getting out nd communicating with people is the only way to find work ...it wont come to you

mrs keily

Hi, volunteer fire brigade sounds good, yeah, I'll look it up. I guess there's probably one down here. I would go to the Salvos, but I think they might think I was down and out and looking for help! I will look at the fire brigade idea though, don't know anything about them but I'll look into it. Thanks.

Guest Bazinga

I'm with the others. You're 46. If you're going to the gym that much youre probably fairly fit. Join the SES or volunteer fireys. Or other sort of volunteer work just to get yourself out and about.

With your experience have you contacted the charities, they are always looking for volunteers and it can lead to a permanent job. It also widens your contact base and that is what you really need, good contacts. You could start off a couple of days a week and just see how you go.

My brothers partner has just trained to look after disabled people. He had worked in a lab all his working life before this, in his fifties and he has plenty of work now he has taken this on.

I think look outside the normal square and you may just find something you really like.

Good luck, do not give up, you are a youngster

Thanks Petals, appreciated. I have applied to a few places about voluntary work, but no takers. At 46 I do feel a bit past it here, definitely feels like a country for young folk. I will take on board your suggestion though, but caring work isn't for me, I'm not really cut out for that tbh, but I do appreciate your suggestion.

Where are you applying, there is not a lot of work round Mandurah so maybe have to look further afield. Do you need to live there or could you move nearer the city to have a better chance of something?

If your looking for a driving job, could you not afford to get yourself a cheapish 2nd hand van to start with and subcontract for some of the delivery companies? A lot of the furniture shops around here use a man and his van to deliver maybe the same round your way.

Edited by AJ

Have you thought about approaching your local Job Service Australia providers? They have a huge turnover of staff due to the work being stressful due to the problems clients can present with. They would love someone with your skills and experience who can sit down with a mature head and talk to clients with mental health issues.

http://jobsearch.gov.au/provider/whichprovider.aspx

Where are you applying, there is not a lot of work round Mandurah so maybe have to look further afield. Do you need to live there or could you move nearer the city to have a better chance of something?

Hi AJ, we moved down to Mandurah as it was difficult to find a place to rent with our two dogs. The house we rent is much better than we could hope to get nearer to Perth, my partner doesn't mind the commute and I'd be ok to commute as well, if I had a job to commute to. I applied for a WA govt job and even offered to commute to Bunbury which would have been a 220Km 'round trip every day. Unfortunately the job fell through. I think maybe I've given the wrong impression by saying I'm looking for a job in Mandurah, on reflection I guess I should have said I'd have preferred a job in Mandurah, but, yeah, I'd commute for sure.

Honestly, I've applied for so many jobs and written to so many places, I can only think that it's my age that's against me.

Have you thought about approaching your local Job Service Australia providers? They have a huge turnover of staff due to the work being stressful due to the problems clients can present with. They would love someone with your skills and experience who can sit down with a mature head and talk to clients with mental health issues.

http://jobsearch.gov.au/provider/whichprovider.aspx

Brilliant. Many thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, I could do that. I'll definitely look. Appreciated :-)

Without knowing you or your personality you need to try to be as outgoing and friendly as possible when meeting people about jobs.

Interviews and meeting people about jobs can be difficult for introverts but you need to do it.

Get out meet people, try to be bubbly and enthusiastic, even if that is hard for you.

If you sound down then that will put employers off.

Hi AJ, we moved down to Mandurah as it was difficult to find a place to rent with our two dogs. The house we rent is much better than we could hope to get nearer to Perth, my partner doesn't mind the commute and I'd be ok to commute as well, if I had a job to commute to. I applied for a WA govt job and even offered to commute to Bunbury which would have been a 220Km 'round trip every day. Unfortunately the job fell through. I think maybe I've given the wrong impression by saying I'm looking for a job in Mandurah, on reflection I guess I should have said I'd have preferred a job in Mandurah, but, yeah, I'd commute for sure.

Honestly, I've applied for so many jobs and written to so many places, I can only think that it's my age that's against me.

I don't think it's your age, alot of people can't find work. I have a job but after a year can't get one in my field (social work, Coz I can't drive and in Oz they NEED you to drive, even if you don't have to actually drive).

I looked at doing vol work and still might Christmas day!?

I'm sure you are doing everything right, but I know a few people from UK who can't find jobs (youth work etc)!

It's very frustrating I know!

Fingers crossed for the new year! :-)

I know there have been a lot of threads about the 475 visa lately, are you on one of those? If so, it is probably that that is the problem and once you are on the permanent visa things will be better, if they don't right themselves before then, which they probably will.

I don't have any particular tips to share, other than to persevere. It is not logical to say or think that you will never work again at the age of 46.

Unemployment is very painful, some people do not understand it, I think until you have been impacted by it, it is a hard thing to understand. My father struggled wth unemployment in the 80s recession, I was in my early teens in the 80s and the experiences of watching my parents struggle with unemployment has shaped who I am. He was in and out of work for years and at one point unemployed for 2 years in his mid 40s. However it did come right, he got a job and he was there for next 18 years until he retired at 65.

The hardest job I ever got was the first one out of university, age wasn't a problem but it was 1992 recession and nobody was recruiting. I never gave up. I always believed that something woud come up and I carried on looking for my first graduate role at the same time as looking for a role doing anything to get money in and to star to pay off my student debt. When I got the mundane job, I did it for two months and then finally got the "proper" graduate job I was hoping for. But it can be hard at any age.