Guest FizzyBubbles

Daughters GCSEs

Guest FizzyBubbles

I really am getting myself worked up over this. :arghh:I dont want to ruin my daughters education so any advice anyone can give me here would be much appreciated.

She is due to take her GCSEs May 2009 and is a A* student who we are extremely proud of. I need to know if it would be better for her to take her GCSEs here first then we go over to Aus or go ahead this year as we were planning to do originally.

I'm not sure I really understand how the exam system works over there tbh. (thats why I wasnt a A* student:embarrassed:) Would her GSCEs mean much over there or not? She will be 16 in September so what school year would she be in if we leave this Summer?

I also have a boy who has just turned 13 in Jan (very proud of him too:yes:)who is more into his sport rather than his education. I know he will be fine and throw himself into all the sporting activities available.

Please if anyone can help me with this or have been in the same situation I would love to hear from you.:twitcy:

Thanks.

Guest sanders family

sorry havent got a answer for you but we are in the same position son year 10 year 11 in sept , another son year7 go to 8 and a daughter in year4 going 5, Iv'e been reading the threads in education and alot are saying they dont mean much out there and our friends in bris say just get out here asap.

Which area are you going to? have you got visa yet? sorry not much help good luck we know how you feel just dont want to mess the kids life up but it will been a better life in the end.

Guest FizzyBubbles

We are hoping to go Brisbane. Your son is the same age my daughter then. Is he ok about the move? Daughter wants to go now, son is a bit more unsure....but I know he'll be fine.

We have passed out TRA and the Visa was sent in December, waiting for a case officer now. What about you?

Thanks for the reply.:)

Guest Kathyo

[Hi

I know in Perth theres a place you can phone about overseas qualifications,depends on what state your moving to,over hear the kids normally have to get yr10 qualifications to get into tafe which is college,then yr 11 and 12 is more uni orientated,my 3 eldest found it hard,but they have now got apprentiships but they werent straight a students anyway,best thing to do would be to call education board for the state you are moving to and see what advice you can get.Good Luck

Kathy

Hi Fizzy

We have been here for 3 weeks now and also have a 16yr old daughter.

We waited until she had finished her GCSE's last June before getting the ball rolling with flights/dates etc (already had visa n validated).

In hindsight I wish we had come Jan last year, heres my reasons (sorry if I go on a bit!).

Here in Oz kids can stay (and most do) at school until they are 17/18 and have completed their High School Cert or whatever is the state equivilent. This means they continue with most subjects (like gcse's do) up until they leave school for good. Then they go on to Tafe (college) or Uni (or work/doss!).

Now my problem is trying to persuade my daughter to go back to school, she worked hard for her exams and left last June so she doesnt want to go back to wearing a school uniform (they are bad!) or go back to doing all subjects again, she thought she'd seen the last of maths for good! She had started A-levels before we left but only did 2 mths of them as we left beginning of Dec.

I wouldnt say that GCSE's aren't any good here, at least it proves that she has the ability to pass them but I dont think they go 'towards' the Oz exams. I did think that with them she would only have to complete the last year of schooling here but since arriving and speaking to a few people (not from schools tho as they are shut til today) I'm not sure she could.

The HSC is a 2 yr course and she wont have done any of the course work and also the exams are in Oct (I think) which means its not even a yr to catch up on all the work and revise for unfamiliar exams.

We would have been better coming last year and taking her straight out of one school and putting her into another.

Btw, it doesnt seem to matter here what school year they go into, this is the same whatever their age.

The only reason I could see to staying to do GCSE's is if you aren't sure about whether you will stay in Oz and will be returning to the UK in the next yr or so, but even then your daughter wont have any A-Levels.

Also, and with teenagers this is very important, I would move while shes happy to go! Above all, if you want to stay together as a family, this is far, far more important than exams!

My daughter is ok about being here, but has no friends yet as she hasnt started school yet, so is pining a bit for her old life and friends back home. She looks at flights home everyday but thankfully just for a hol!

BUT, I have read some real horror stories involving teens refusing to go/going back home. I feel so sorry for the parents as no-one wants to see their kids unhappy.

Your daughter is a bright girl and will do well in her exams in whatever country you're in.

I'd say when you get your visa and shes happy to go, then go for it!

Sam xx

Ps, your son will be fine, he'll just 'go with the flow', he's a boy lol

Guest kia1

:cute:HI OUR OLDEST BOY IS DUE TO TAKE HIS GCSE'S THIS YEAR WE HAD DECIDED THAT AS SOON AS WE GET THE VISAS WE WERE GOING BECAUSE GCSE'S DONT MEAN ANYTHING OVER THERE BUT THEN WE THOUGHT WHAT IF HE WANTED TO COME BACK TO THE UK (THERE MIGHT BE A SLIGHT CHANCE OF THAT) HE WOULD THEN HAVE ENGLISH QUALIFICATIONS SO WE ARE STAYING TILL HE HAS COMPLETED THEM.

AND THEN WHEN WE GO OVER WE WILL BE PUTTING HIM BACK A YEAR AS WE WERE TOLD THAT THEY NEED TO STAY AND DO 2 YEARS FOR THE QUALIFICATION.

GCSEs totally irrelevant here. I suppose if she wanted to leave school at 15 then having them under her belt may say something to an employer but I guess most would say "What?"

If she is doing well (we dont tend to talk about the "straight A student" thing here - bit too tall poppyish) then she will continue to the end of year 12 where she will do whatever else everyone else is doing be that academic or vocational. There is no requirement for having passed any (mythical) year 10 exam before going on to do years 11 and 12.

If she turns 16 in September this year and you were to arrive in October this year she would be in year 10 in most states. If you delay your arrival until next summer (January) then she will be going in to year 11 for 2009.

All states have different ways of assessing year 12 achievements but the end product is a university entrance score which she will require to get into university or a year 12 certificate which will attest to the fact that she has completed the required units to have passed year 12.

In general, all the Australian school will require for enrolment is her visa, evidence of her birthdate and her vaccination record. They may feign interest in what she has done previously but in actual fact it will have no bearing whatsoever on what they then offer her.

Guest FizzyBubbles

I'd just like to say thankyou all for your replies. :smile: They have helped a great deal and after reading your answers my daughter is happy to leave her GCSEs behind. I think now we will just head out as soon as we can and not wait until she has done them.

Thanks again.

Guest The.Colebecks

Hi

We deliberated over this issue, Sam was 16 in December and started his last GCSE year in September, as things have turned out we'll still be here for him to finish his GCSEs.

On the one hand I wish we had been in a position to go earlier than this so that he could have completed a few years schooling in the Aus system. However, on a positive note should all not be rosy and we return to the UK at least he has GCSEs behind him to build some kind of further education / employment on :wacko:

One good thing is that you can have their GCSEs recognised as Aus equivalent exams by taking their certificates to the Western Aus Curriculum Council - see this link I posted info on earlier http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/education/19463-post-gcse-teenager-question.html.

Whatever you decide, all the best with your plans.

Karen x

Guest MariAndyok

Our son completes his GCSE's this year. Would we be better off waiting to go after he finishes his A levels and then go straight to an Oz Uni.

TIA

Andy

Guest Sharmaine
Our son completes his GCSE's this year. Would we be better off waiting to go after he finishes his A levels and then go straight to an Oz Uni.

TIA

Andy

Hi there,

I have a 16 year old daughter and a 19 year old daughter. Only you will know what is best for your son. Personally I wouldn't wait to finish A levels (and this is only my opinion) because although they will, for Uni work out a TER (Tertiary Entrance Ranking) from the A Level exams it is slightly more complicated than just doing the subjects in year 11&12 over here to get the desired TER requirements for your chosen course at Uni. Also depending on which subjects are done at A and AS level will also affect the TER score that is given. I also found, as others have mentioned, that they weren't all that fussed about the GCSE results in that it made no difference to whether they would be in year 11 or 12. The school councillor, who we saw for my daughters enrollment was very helpful and advised that they could put my daughter into year 12 (at our insistance and because of completed GCSE's) but there were some subjects that she had chosen which were two year course subjects and she wouldn't be able to 'catch up' the year 11 work with the workload for year 12 also.

We felt, also, that as emigrating was such a lot to deal with anyway that it would be better for our daughter to go into year 11 to get into the swing of things, make some friends and find her feet socially in and outside of school. Maybe some of the work would be repeated but so what ,it would be good revision after having been off school for such a long time (she finished GCSE's in June 07 and we got here in Nov 07 and she has just started school today).

I am also in the process of trying to get my other daughter, who has completed a year of Uni already at Uni of Leicester, into Uni here and contrary to all advise given it is not as easy as it seems.

Hope this helps, feel free to pm me if you have any further queries.

Hi all,

My 16yr old daughter went to enrol at our local high school today and she has been put straight into yr 12. She is really pleased and so am I. I was having a great deal of trouble persuading her to go back to school as she wanted to go to Tafe for no other reason than its not school!

We spoke to the Head and another yr 12 student and they said she may have a bit of catching up to do but he saw no reason why she shouldnt go into yr 12, he didnt even look at her GCSE results.

When she asked the other girl about course work the girl hadnt a clue what she was on about! They only have exams at the end of yr 12 not during the year as they do for GCSE's.

Only time will tell if its been the right decision but at least its better than going to Tafe just for the sake of it.

Sam x

Guest Evil-Lancaster

Hi, I am in the exact situation as your children, ive been here or 3 weeks and 2 days, im 17, and just started 6th form college in england before i came to move over here.

samozsoon, you were very helpfull indeed, i have an interview with the senior high school tomorow and hopefully go into year 12. You were more helpfull then the australian school and government sites, and im glad its not just me in this situation cause its quiet stressfull,as it seems GCSE's arnt worth much overe here i was confused whether ide have to go back a year to their year 11 to start the course.

thanks so much.

But what im also curios to know, is what i can do with the results i get. i live in WA so will get T.E.E's. and will be 17 when doing the exams. so will be 18 after the school year. But the univerties only seem to take on at "mature age" which is 20, and im not sure what to do after these. to complicate it more, they seem to have one less year of schooling then the UK, will the T.E.E's be useable in england, because i like most new teens over in Australia still have the thought of coming back home.

our daughter will take her gcse's in may 2009 we had intended to wait until after this to come out....but having read others comments I think we will take the plunge and come out sooner

:spinny:

TRA passed 16/07/09 IELTS Passed overall band score 8.5, 176 visa application submitted 23/12/09, CO team 4 13/09/11. PCC's rec'd 21/10/11 Meds 25/10/2011 4 out of 5 meds finalised 04/11/11, Sophie's referred,All meds finalised 07/11/11 Visa Grant 07/11/11

Guest JAMCAVEN

:chatterbox:

Thank you everyone.you have all been so helpful, I have spent days scouring school and govt links on this subject.

My son Ross will be 16 in June this year (2010) and we are hoping to go to South Australia as soon as the house is sold and Ross has completed his GCSEs in may/June. If the house sells then hopefully we will fly out July/Aug.

Ross is pretty average academically and I had convinced him that he should complete year 12 starting next January. He took some convincing but accepted that it would just be for a year plus the end of year 11 (Aug-Dec this year) now I have realised that I was wrong and he will have to probably do the end of year 10 + two years 11+12 so now he is not so receptive "What's the point of doing my GCSEs then having to start all over again, I'm not doing another two years".

Im just hoping that once in the system, at the end of year 10 the school can advise and take it from there,he would like to do an apprenticeshio which I believe you can do whilst at school but I have no Idea how hard it will be to be accepted for one.