Still looking for a driving job: Mandurah to wherever...

DisillusionedScot

Is 46 too old to re-train in Australia?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is 46 too old to re-train in Australia?

• Yes
    • No

Hi guys, some time ago I posted that I was looking for a driving job based in Mandurah. I'd prefer semi-distance work: Mandurah to Bunbury, Mandurah to Albany, Mandurah to Geraldton that kind of thing.

I'm happy to spend cash and get my HR license first if there's a job offer on the table. Got nearly 30 years driving experience in the UK, distance work - Glasgow to London/Birmingham/Manchester/Liverpool, multi-drop (would prefer not to do that again) and lots of 7.5 ton experience.

Any takers?

As I say, I'll spend the cash to get my HR license if someone can offer me something. I'm reliable, a *good* driver, got lots of experience, just need a break. Happy to do overnight runs as well.

Cheers and thanks

Alan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my experiance, a lot of blue collar work in Australia is either who you know, or being in the right place at the right time.

If you turn up at the right time but so does somebody else who already has their hr licence, I know who I would go for.

Go get your licence and then turn up on door steps. Again, and again until you are in the right place at the right time.

There aren't a lot of light truck journey done as it isn't cost effective. Also, be prepared that HR doesn't pay much. Probably minimum wage as they are two a penny. If you live in certain regional areas you can just get passed out by the police. So when police visit our mine, guys just jump in a flat bed with a coppa for a 5 min drive and that does them. Passed.

Well, thanks guys. I can see your point about getting the HR license first, but what's the point if you're saying there's no jobs? The HR license is going to cost me in the region of $1K give or take from what I can see so there's no financial justification for me to go and get it if there's no jobs.

As I'm now too old to get a job back in I.T. management, I'm, eh, a bit stuffed as one might say. At least, that's the impression I'm getting from the replies above.

Oh, Taxis, no. I did that for three years back in the UK and even though I may be desperate I'm never going to do that again. The last shift I did was 16 hours straight for...£6. Too many drivers chasing too few hires.

I guess I'll just have to wait another year and then claim from centrelink, not much else I can do by the sounds of it really.

There aren't a lot of light truck journey done as it isn't cost effective. Also, be prepared that HR doesn't pay much. Probably minimum wage as they are two a penny. If you live in certain regional areas you can just get passed out by the police. So when police visit our mine, guys just jump in a flat bed with a coppa for a 5 min drive and that does them. Passed.

Well, excellent. Can I come 'round to your yard to get my license then? How's about a job whilst I'm there?

Well, thanks guys. I can see your point about getting the HR license first, but what's the point if you're saying there's no jobs? The HR license is going to cost me in the region of $1K give or take from what I can see so there's no financial justification for me to go and get it if there's no jobs.

As I'm now too old to get a job back in I.T. management, I'm, eh, a bit stuffed as one might say. At least, that's the impression I'm getting from the replies above.

Oh, Taxis, no. I did that for three years back in the UK and even though I may be desperate I'm never going to do that again. The last shift I did was 16 hours straight for...£6. Too many drivers chasing too few hires.

I guess I'll just have to wait another year and then claim from centrelink, not much else I can do by the sounds of it really.

That is a pretty poor attitude. I firmly believe if you really want to work then you will find a job. What about cleaning? Hungry jacks? Coles?

So, how do I get a job in your mine then? Seems there's a lot of folk out there who talk about how much work there is in the mines, but when it actually comes to it not one single person I've spoken to has put their money where their mouth is and said, 'ok, you've got driving experience, I'll give you a shot'.

Have you tried Mandurah Taxi's not long haul neccesarily but they were advertising for staff.

I know the taxi game very, very well. As I said above I've been there and done it. I see the ad on the back of Mandurah taxis every morning at the train station when I drop my partner off. There's a very good reason why they are always looking for staff: because they can't keep drivers - because there's no work. Any good taxi company i.e. those with work, won't advertise, they pick the drivers who come to them and show willing. Factor in the 'weigh-in' every week (that's hire of radio, hire of car), plus fuel, plus your license fee up-front. Just ain't worth it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

What do you work at? Any jobs going in your place?

No way, that didn't take long, as soon as I filled out the enquiry form this little gem came up: "The one time cost for this service is $214. Most orders are processed within 48 hours, and securely emailed for your convenience."

So, no jobs then, but I give them £214 and they send me information on 'how to get a job'. I think not.

Just wondered DS if you have found a job yet?I've just had a look on Australian Job Search and according to that,there's over 7,000 jobs available in different sectors of work.

Nope, I haven't. What I have had is another two rejections only this morning. My point , if you read what I've said above, is that I appear to be too old (at 46), over qualified, or don't have experience (and who's going to re-train a 46 year old?). It's all very well saying there's 7,000 jobs on that site, but what I'm saying is if it's so easy to get a job *then why can't I get one?*. People seem to be assuming I'm not trying to get a job, people seem to be assuming I haven't tried, Bunnings, cleaning companies and such like.

Why are people assuming I haven't tried - where in any of my posts have I said that I haven't tried? *nowhere*.

Here's a challenge: I know what I can do, I know I've been a good employee in the past: hard working, loyal, dedicated, interested and so on. So, given that I feel that I've run out of options (hence my original posting saying I would even pay for my own training) - if someone out there wants to see what I can do either ask to see my CV or give me a start to prove myself. Is that not reasonable? Please do tell me if I'm being unreasonable.

Nope, I haven't. What I have had is another two rejections only this morning. My point , if you read what I've said above, is that I appear to be too old (at 46), over qualified, or don't have experience (and who's going to re-train a 46 year old?). It's all very well saying there's 7,000 jobs on that site, but what I'm saying is if it's so easy to get a job *then why can't I get one?*. People seem to be assuming I'm not trying to get a job, people seem to be assuming I haven't tried, Bunnings, cleaning companies and such like.

Why are people assuming I haven't tried - where in any of my posts have I said that I haven't tried? *nowhere*.

Here's a challenge: I know what I can do, I know I've been a good employee in the past: hard working, loyal, dedicated, interested and so on. So, given that I feel that I've run out of options (hence my original posting saying I would even pay for my own training) - if someone out there wants to see what I can do either ask to see my CV or give me a start to prove myself. Is that not reasonable? Please do tell me if I'm being unreasonable.

Mate,

really sorry you're having a hard time finding work, rest assured you're not the only one.

I think you're starting to fall into a trap that a lot of Brits (and other non-Aussies) do of saying "I'm a hard worker, I'm flexible, I've got lots of varied experience and I'm happy to turn my hand to anything." To us this sounds like a good thing. Unfortunately it doesn't to an Australian employer. They are far more linear and want to hear "I'm an xyz and I'll be a bloody good xyz for you". People don't appear to change careers as much over here and their career paths seem both far more linear and stove-piped. Lateral thinking, flexibility and transferable skills (all the big buzz words in the UK - well they certainly were when I was on my resettlement course) mean absolutely nothing here.

So if you want to be an IT Manager you're going to have to throw all your effort into being an IT Manager. Set up meetings with recruiters - yes they're shiny suited, useless pricks who don't deserve a second of your time but one out of a hundred may have something useful to let you know and you'll get your name out there as looking for work. Speak to everyone you know and tell them that you're an IT Manager and you're looking for work - so many jobs here are got on word of mouth and recommendations from friends. But again be specific. You'll frazzle an Aussie's brain if you go too generalist, let him / her know exactly what job you want - "I'm an xyz and I'm looking for a job"; don't go any more complex than that unless they work in the industry.

Also employers here aren't interested in the fact that you're willing to pay for your own training, they want to see that you already have done. Sorry to sound harsh but it's a fact of life over here. See the thousands of comments on here about needing various licences / tickets just to wipe your own arse - everyone has to pay for those themselves, just the way Australia is.

As for the 7000 jobs - a hell of a lot of those are duplicates, many are fishing expeditions from recruitment agencies looking for CVs and the rest are often for jobs that already have been filled by "Targeted Selection". My F-i-L, who was a big boss at an iconic Australian manufacturing company, explained to me what targeted selection is and he reckons 90% of jobs in South Australia are filled this way - I reckon everywhere in Aus except NSW, Vic, ACT and Brisbane would be just as high. Basically a company "selects" the person they want in a role - sometimes internally, sometimes from a competitor, sometimes the son / mate of a present employee (nepotism is seen as a good thing over here; you're a good bloke if you after your own!!!) - and then the company "targets" that person to get them to work for the company. However to comply with employment law the company still needs to advertise the role and interview. But if you apply and get an interview you've no chance of getting the job - you're just legal window dressing.

Anyway DS - you need to get out there, pick the career you want and get your name out there. It's hard, but do-able.

All the very best of luck - I really hope you get something sorted.

Edited by Rugby Lad

Have you thought about bus driving - it may be casual work initially but someone I know had lots of hours doing this and ended up with a permanent job.

I guess one of the problems is that primarily a lot of the PIO membership are in the same boat of being migrants looking for jobs and not in positions to offer them. Whilst I sit on recruitment panels for health the process is one of advertisement, application, short-listing etc., so I'd only be able to say to someone ..jobs are advertised -please apply.

Good luck and hope something comes up.

Edited by ali

[TABLE=class: jobDetailsBody]

[TR]

[TD]

Just thought it could get your feet through the door.... [TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: detailsHeader, align: center] Delivery Driver - Mandurah

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: detailsBG]

• Great entry level role to start a career
  • Customer facing
  • Opportunity for progression

REV up your career and join Repco Australia, a division of the Exego Group; Australasia's largest supplier and retailer in the automotive parts and accessories aftermarket. Be part of a dedicated team of people who are passionate about delivering our shared vision: To be Australasia's preferred supplier of aftermarket vehicle parts, solutions and accessories.

Currently a full time vacancy exists for a Delivery Driver at our Mandurah store

You will be responsible for

• Pick and deliver goods in a safe, friendly and timely manner

• Checking goods and documentation to ensure a high level of accuracy is being achieved when transporting stock.

• Adhering to relevant statutory legislation and company policies and procedures.

• Perform other Customer Sales & Service duties as required from time to time.

To be considered for this role you;

• Possess superior customer service skills

• Must be prepared to work a flexible roster

• Have an open manual motor vehicle licence.

• Strong work ethic and communication skills is mandatory.

Previous retail experience and automotive knowledge would be a distinct advantage.

If you would like to be part of a business that focuses on it's people, team culture and winning together, has plenty of opportunities for progression throughout Australasia and a generous staff discount program, then please apply on the Repco website (www.repco.com.au) and click on 'Careers'.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

[TABLE=class: detailsBG]

[TR]

[TD=class: jobLabel] Job Ref :

[/TD]

[TD] AU2268CT000255

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: jobLabel]Location :

[/TD]

[TD] WA

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: jobLabel] Submitted :

[/TD]

[TD] 18-12-2012

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: right]email.gif

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

there is also this up for grabs.... and before you say it.... l know you are not retired but they are obviously looking at an older generation...lol... umm ...[h=2]Casual Night Delivery Driver - Greenfields, Mandur[/h]

[h=3]Description[/h]

Retired but getting a little bored? With a late evening start (approx 11pm) this job will suit the night owls] We are looking for a reliable and...

Company: WestJobs

View more detail / applyicon_ext3.gif

[h=3]Details[/h]

Work type: Casual position

Tenancy: Permanent, 6+ months

Number of positions: 1

Source: WESTJobs

Job ID: 2223304383

Last modified: 19 December 2012

Employer reference: 972190

Options: Apply directly to employer

[h=3]How to apply[/h]

To apply, please see description above.

Enquiries from all suitable job seekers welcome...

Hi guys, some time ago I posted that I was looking for a driving job based in Mandurah. I'd prefer semi-distance work: Mandurah to Bunbury, Mandurah to Albany, Mandurah to Geraldton that kind of thing.

I'm happy to spend cash and get my HR license first if there's a job offer on the table. Got nearly 30 years driving experience in the UK, distance work - Glasgow to London/Birmingham/Manchester/Liverpool, multi-drop (would prefer not to do that again) and lots of 7.5 ton experience.

Any takers?

As I say, I'll spend the cash to get my HR license if someone can offer me something. I'm reliable, a *good* driver, got lots of experience, just need a break. Happy to do overnight runs as well.

Cheers and thanks

Alan

Edited by realitynotincluded

So, how do I get a job in your mine then? Seems there's a lot of folk out there who talk about how much work there is in the mines, but when it actually comes to it not one single person I've spoken to has put their money where their mouth is and said, 'ok, you've got driving experience, I'll give you a shot'.

I never said you will get a job in mining. Mining work is generally skilled for the industry. I was pointing out that HR licenses are not going to pay much because of how common they are in mining.

I agree with Rugby Lad. You need to be very specific to your skills. It isn't going to be easy. The job market in Perth is a lot harder than people think. I know that my own role as a senior geoscientist would mean me looking for work outside of Oz.

I think you need to change attitude. Everyone on here has tried to be constructive, but you have been very negative in return. That would also come across to an employer and there is no way I would employ someone with such a bad attitude.

I never said you will get a job in mining. Mining work is generally skilled for the industry. I was pointing out that HR licenses are not going to pay much because of how common they are in mining.

I agree with Rugby Lad. You need to be very specific to your skills. It isn't going to be easy. The job market in Perth is a lot harder than people think. I know that my own role as a senior geoscientist would mean me looking for work outside of Oz.

I think you need to change attitude. Everyone on here has tried to be constructive, but you have been very negative in return. That would also come across to an employer and there is no way I would employ someone with such a bad attitude.

So you say I've got a bad attitude because I was bold enough to ask you for a job. I've read through my postings and actually, I think it's your replies that have been antagonistic. So, let's start this afresh shall we: you work in mining, so how do I get a job as, say, a driver, with your company? I have nearly 30 years of driving experience, I'm willing to be trained, I'm enthusiastic and I keep being told there's lots of well paid jobs for drivers out there in the mines. Seems like I'm an excellent candidate would you not agree?

Or, how's about an I.T. manager? I've run my own company in the UK, I have a postgrad in business I.T. systems, I'm a great manager. Seriously, I'm really, really good at it. So, given all that, how do I go about getting a job with your company? I'm not being funny, it's a serious question.

Mate,

really sorry you're having a hard time finding work, rest assured you're not the only one.

I think you're starting to fall into a trap that a lot of Brits (and other non-Aussies) do of saying "I'm a hard worker, I'm flexible, I've got lots of varied experience and I'm happy to turn my hand to anything." To us this sounds like a good thing. Unfortunately it doesn't to an Australian employer. They are far more linear and want to hear "I'm an xyz and I'll be a bloody good xyz for you". People don't appear to change careers as much over here and their career paths seem both far more linear and stove-piped. Lateral thinking, flexibility and transferable skills (all the big buzz words in the UK - well they certainly were when I was on my resettlement course) mean absolutely nothing here.

So if you want to be an IT Manager you're going to have to throw all your effort into being an IT Manager. Set up meetings with recruiters - yes they're shiny suited, useless pricks who don't deserve a second of your time but one out of a hundred may have something useful to let you know and you'll get your name out there as looking for work. Speak to everyone you know and tell them that you're an IT Manager and you're looking for work - so many jobs here are got on word of mouth and recommendations from friends. But again be specific. You'll frazzle an Aussie's brain if you go too generalist, let him / her know exactly what job you want - "I'm an xyz and I'm looking for a job"; don't go any more complex than that unless they work in the industry.

Also employers here aren't interested in the fact that you're willing to pay for your own training, they want to see that you already have done. Sorry to sound harsh but it's a fact of life over here. See the thousands of comments on here about needing various licences / tickets just to wipe your own arse - everyone has to pay for those themselves, just the way Australia is.

As for the 7000 jobs - a hell of a lot of those are duplicates, many are fishing expeditions from recruitment agencies looking for CVs and the rest are often for jobs that already have been filled by "Targeted Selection". My F-i-L, who was a big boss at an iconic Australian manufacturing company, explained to me what targeted selection is and he reckons 90% of jobs in South Australia are filled this way - I reckon everywhere in Aus except NSW, Vic, ACT and Brisbane would be just as high. Basically a company "selects" the person they want in a role - sometimes internally, sometimes from a competitor, sometimes the son / mate of a present employee (nepotism is seen as a good thing over here; you're a good bloke if you after your own!!!) - and then the company "targets" that person to get them to work for the company. However to comply with employment law the company still needs to advertise the role and interview. But if you apply and get an interview you've no chance of getting the job - you're just legal window dressing.

Anyway DS - you need to get out there, pick the career you want and get your name out there. It's hard, but do-able.

All the very best of luck - I really hope you get something sorted.

Hi, many thanks for those sound words of advice and I do appreciate them. Today I received two emails from the WA government telling me that I hadn't even got an interview for jobs I was perfectly qualified for. I also applied for another WA Govt job in March of this year, had a *four month* recruitment process: information evening, two application forms (they lost half of my first one), an IQ test, *2* psychometric tests, a one hour panel interview, an interview with a psychologist, a medical and a serious fitness test. All of that to be told...there's no job. I know there's going to be folk on here who will think I'm making that up, but that's true.

Today I also got told an academic research grant I'd applied for (which would have given me at least a reasonable part-time income), had gone to someone else.

Yeah, not a good day on the job front. Not good at all.

I hear what you're saying RL about picking what I want to do and sticking to it, but my old career clearly isn't going to happen here (I can't go into details here, but trust me when I say I've spoken to people at top government level and even they can't get me anything!). I don't know how practical it is going to be for a 46 year old to re-train. I'd love to hear from some folk of my age who've managed to do it and how they did it.

So, yeah, there you have it. I might sound negative as someone else on here seems to think I am, but, if someone had told that story to me then, yeah, I'd think they have a right to be somewhat jaded.

I sacrificed everything I had to come here, but perhaps this is just the fate of 'the spouse'. I'm not the main applicant on the visa, it's my partner, I just tag along. I wonder how many others there are out there who are the spouses who've been left at home wondering what on earth happened?

Have you thought about bus driving - it may be casual work initially but someone I know had lots of hours doing this and ended up with a permanent job.

I guess one of the problems is that primarily a lot of the PIO membership are in the same boat of being migrants looking for jobs and not in positions to offer them. Whilst I sit on recruitment panels for health the process is one of advertisement, application, short-listing etc., so I'd only be able to say to someone ..jobs are advertised -please apply.

Good luck and hope something comes up.

Hi Ali, I've looked at the adverts on the back of the buses, I think I'd need a different license to drive one of those - and I only know my local few streets and the freeway! I think maybe they would really want someone who knew the roads better than me, but the main thing really would be the license.

You say you work in health am I right? Eh, I just spent three years working with folk with heroin and alcohol addictions in addition to mild to moderate mental health issues. I've spoken to loads of folk here in the AOD field and just got nowhere, even been to government level and talked to folk at the Dept of AOD. Tried all the agencies: Cyrenians, Hollyoakes etc, etc, but no luck. Would you perhaps have any ideas? Happy to let anyone have a look at my CV if they so wished.

This is sounding desperate isn't it. :-|

[TABLE=class: jobDetailsBody]

[TR]

[TD]Just thought it could get your feet through the door.... [TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: detailsHeader, align: center] Delivery Driver - Mandurah [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: detailsBG]

• Great entry level role to start a career

• Customer facing

• Opportunity for progression

REV up your career and join Repco Australia, a division of the Exego Group; Australasia's largest supplier and retailer in the automotive parts and accessories aftermarket. Be part of a dedicated team of people who are passionate about delivering our shared vision: To be Australasia's preferred supplier of aftermarket vehicle parts, solutions and accessories.

Currently a full time vacancy exists for a Delivery Driver at our Mandurah store

You will be responsible for

• Pick and deliver goods in a safe, friendly and timely manner

• Checking goods and documentation to ensure a high level of accuracy is being achieved when transporting stock.

• Adhering to relevant statutory legislation and company policies and procedures.

• Perform other Customer Sales & Service duties as required from time to time.

To be considered for this role you;

• Possess superior customer service skills

• Must be prepared to work a flexible roster

• Have an open manual motor vehicle licence.

• Strong work ethic and communication skills is mandatory.

Previous retail experience and automotive knowledge would be a distinct advantage.

If you would like to be part of a business that focuses on it's people, team culture and winning together, has plenty of opportunities for progression throughout Australasia and a generous staff discount program, then please apply on the Repco website (www.repco.com.au) and click on 'Careers'.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE=class: detailsBG]

[TR]

[TD=class: jobLabel] Job Ref : [/TD]

[TD] AU2268CT000255 [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: jobLabel]Location :[/TD]

[TD] WA [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: jobLabel] Submitted : [/TD]

[TD] 18-12-2012 [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2, align: right]email.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

there is also this up for grabs.... and before you say it.... l know you are not retired but they are obviously looking at an older generation...lol... umm ...Casual Night Delivery Driver - Greenfields, Mandur

Description

Retired but getting a little bored? With a late evening start (approx 11pm) this job will suit the night owls] We are looking for a reliable and...

Company: WestJobs

View more detail / applyicon_ext3.gif

Details

Work type: Casual position

Tenancy: Permanent, 6+ months

Number of positions: 1

Source: WESTJobs

Job ID: 2223304383

Last modified: 19 December 2012

Employer reference: 972190

Options: Apply directly to employer

How to apply

To apply, please see description above.

Enquiries from all suitable job seekers welcome...

I've applied for that above job so we'll see what happens. Cheers.

I'm agreeing with VeryStormy actually.We're not "Assuming"anything.You asked the forum for job suggestions,and we've offered them.I can tell by the way you replied to me,you've got a bad attitude!You might be fed up of not having a job but its rude of you to post back sarcastic arrogant sounding replies.You know what?I'm not surprised you havent got a job yet with your attitude,and until you change it,you won't either.Good luck bud!