Your Move to Oz What would You change?

Robo234

Guest Bazinga

I would choose not to be diagnosed with pneumonia and an upper respiratory tract infection the day before I flew out which meant I didn't get to finish packing my boxes for shipping ( thankfully I have a great family) and had to do the flight with two kids alone and feeling like death

I'd bring LESS stuff.

Even as it was, we only shipped a couple of palettes of things but more that half of that is still in cardboard boxes cluttering up the garage. For example, we used bedding as packing but, due to the different sizes of beds, most of that is useless here. Similarly, there some clothes there but, with the different climate and different life style, I rarely venture out of shorts and T shirts.

The things I would have changed would be to bring more work clothes ( I'm a roofer/ gutter man ). I've had to buy loads of work clothes !

Also I like the idea of bringing my car from the uk as buying a motor here (in WA) is a painfully expensive experience

Wouldn't change a thing, I had wanted to move before xmas, hubby wanted one last xmas, in hindsight it was a good choice as we have so many good memories from that time. It also meant that by the time our first xmas in Aus came around, we'd been here almost a year and didn't feel quite as displaced as when we first arrived.

Other than bringing a few white goods that we left behind, im not sure we would change anything if we had our time all over again.

Cal x

We'd have like to have managed the meet up we planned but then your visa came and you were off ..... still, we managed to do it eventually when we came over East

I would have had my partner move out at the same time as me, rather than 7 months later, and I would have gone for the 3-bed house rather than the 2-bed one so that I could have a dedicated work-space at home (didn't know how much I'd work from home rather than on campus).

In terms of shipping stuff, I would have shipped slightly less (i.e. been more ruthless throwing stuff out), but in the great scheme of things it would have only reduced the amount by a box or two, so no biggie.

I would have not taken so many boxes of utter crap that I never opened, never looked at and essentially just cost me money and took up space. I told my old nursing school notes too which are so irrelevant and mean nothing now. I mean I took boxes of teddies cos they were sentimental but I mean how many teddies does someone need?

I would have not taken so many boxes of utter crap that I never opened, never looked at and essentially just cost me money and took up space. I told my old nursing school notes too which are so irrelevant and mean nothing now. I mean I took boxes of teddies cos they were sentimental but I mean how many teddies does someone need?

I need to try & remember this1 cos this is sooo me! If we do decide to go for it & move to Aus i'd need to be brutal & just sort through my sentimental stuff! & try & throw lots of stuff away, because i know what i'm like, my stuff would sit in boxes prob un touched for ages too

I need to try & remember this1 cos this is sooo me! If we do decide to go for it & move to Aus i'd need to be brutal & just sort through my sentimental stuff! & try & throw lots of stuff away, because i know what i'm like, my stuff would sit in boxes prob un touched for ages too

I would have binned a lot more stuff we didn't need. for the first 3 months we were here i lived off 4 tee shirts and 2 pairs of shorts. I'm still wearing them and haven't touched anything else thats turned up in our container, because basically over the years we've accumulated soooo much bumf we dont really need. Also i'd have moved years ago and not left it so long.

It's just awesome here.

If you haven't got much money for things when you get here, and you can afford to ship as much as you can then do it. We sold out living room furniture prior to coming out here and after being here for 3 and a half months we still have no furniture. Luckily we shipped our beds and bedroom furniture so we're living in our bedroom at the mo. I guess it depends where you are moving to as well. We are 3 hours from Melbourne (to the East) and can't seem to find any furniture we want on ebay/gumtree etc etc, and can't afford to go out and buy new stuff at the mo due to just me working.

We are so wishing we'd paid the extra £1500 to ship our living room furniture now!

I would have also started sorting stuff out earlier...it takes longer than you think to sell stuff/de-clutter etc. It doesn't help when you're decorating your whole house prior to renting it out either I guess...but we're here and loving it and don't regret the move one bit.

I would have made the decision to move sooner, got on with the form filling and information gathering sooner and in hindsight ( which is a wonderful thing!) would have engaged an agent sooner and not been such a tight arse about paying for the expertise and time it saves.

this may have got us over here earlier which would have (possibly) meant our DD would have come with us because she would have been under 18 when we got our visa.

but having said all that I am great believer in things happening for a reason, we are all on our own path and things have a way of working themselves out.

and I would have brought my car- but, I could not sell it and left it with my son to try and sell. His car blew up so he bought mine ( for a low price) and managed to sell it for a reasonable amount a year later whe he moved over, so it worked out in the end.

Edited by KazzE