medication in oz

Guest cc

Hi,

I need some advice about getting medication when in oz.

I have to take medication regulary for rheumatiod arthritis, and also have monthly blood tests. I know that medicare payments are taken from salary, but is it better to have private health care aswell.

Is there a standard presciption charge?

Here i can just pop along to the GP and get a prescription, is it that easy in oz?

Sorry for all the question at once

Claire

Guest IrishPost
Hi,

I need some advice about getting medication when in oz.

I have to take medication regulary for rheumatiod arthritis, and also have monthly blood tests. I know that medicare payments are taken from salary, but is it better to have private health care aswell.

Is there a standard presciption charge?

Here i can just pop along to the GP and get a prescription, is it that easy in oz?

Sorry for all the question at once

Claire

Here is some info on Medicare - http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=441&highlight=medicare

You will be able to pop along to your GP in Oz, just as you do in the UK.

There is a standard charge for medicines issued under a prescription and I think its around the $30 mark, however it depends on your circumstances. For example, those who hold a Pensioners Card or some other Social Security Benefit Card get it free or at a vastly reduced rate.

Private Health Insurance covers you for admission to a Private Hospital and depending on your level of insurance, other ancillary benefits such as Dental, Opticial, Chiropractor etc.

Whether or not you take out Private Health Insurance is a personal choice.

Many people are prepared to accept the Public Hospital system which for elective surgery means joining a waiting list.

Guest ABCDiamond

For 2006, the maximum prescription cost is $29.50 for general patients.

The general patient safety net threshold for 2006 is $932.10. When patients and/or their families reach this amount, they can apply for a Safety Net Concession Card and pay only $4.70 per prescription for the rest of the calendar year.

You can normally see a doctor pretty quickly here.

Some Doctors will charge about $40-$50 per standard visit, but you can claim $30.85 back from Medicare.

Other Doctors will only charge the Medicare Rebate fee, and therefore you pay nothing, as they get paid direct from Medicare. This is called "Bulk Billing". You tend to find these Doctors are commonly based in the not so affluent areas, but very rare in the well off districts.

thanks abc diamond that website is great. I dont think my prescription will cost too much.

My husband and i are moving to Brisbane in January and are hoping to settle somewhere near where you live (maybe redcliffe) as we have been before and loved it. So i may be able to think of a few more questions before then.

Thanks again

Claire

Archived