Looking for IT Job in Melbourne

aduffield76

Hi All

I am looking to try an make contact with a few IT recruitment agencies in Melbourne in preparation for our move over to Oz in 2013.

Can anyone recommend any good ones?

Or has anyone tried other methods? ie possible sponsorship?

Cheers guys

Andy

Hi Andy, I work for IBM. I found the best way to get a job as soon as you arrive is to get on the phone shortly before you leave. So find some suitable jobs on seek.com.au, fire off an email, and then follow it up within 24 hours with a phone call to the agent. This may mean you have to get up at 5am but it's worth it. Tell them your date of arrival and ask if you can take them out for a coffee to discuss the role. I set up 3 interviews this way while I was still in the UK and I got offered one of the jobs - I am still in the same role today.

Hope that helps.

BB

Hi BB,

Thanks so much for this;

Yeah, its so difficult deciding on the best, most productive steps. Ive seen lots of jobs on seek.com.au that would be perfect but I'm holding off applying before I am due to leave.

I have seen on some forums that people can be offered jobs before they even arrive, Skype interviews etc.

Its just very strange leaving a job here and NOT going straight into a new one....arriving jobless 15,000 miles away sounds like the most stupid thing to do in the world but a lot of people do it...and are fine....like yourself.

I will keep looking and maybe contact a few agencies to make them aware of my situation.

Andy

I think if you have the skills for any job, you'll have no problem (unless you are like me - too old?) Not that I have many skills, apart from being able to type, and even that is snail-like compared to the 'young guns' I encounter.

I send my resume into Seek and eventually something does come up. Took six months and 137 odd apps to get my last position. This job was with the Aussie Tax Office (ATO) and I applied direct via the Commonwealth Government site, so perhaps it is worth looking at sites like that and the State Government ones?

I started applying for Java programming jobs on Seek about a week before we left. The vast majority never replied, but two did, and we had Skype / telephone interviews while in the UK. If your resume does catch someone's eye they will get in touch.

I formatted my cv to australian format using this site : http://www.advance-yourself.com.au/, which seemed to help.

In the weeks before I moved over, I started applying for jobs via Seek but had absolute zero interest. I did arrange a meeting with Hays upon my arrival, who discussed the current market and rates etc. which was pretty usefull. Here's the link - http://www.hays.com.au/advice-services/HAYS_178758

However once I had arrived and had an Australian address on my CV, I was getting reponses to nearly every application I made. I started a new contract within 2 weeks of landing in Melbourne. It can be daunting, but if you've got the right skills you shouldn't have any issues.

Good luck!!