Does this seem realistic on moving to Perth???

Kacan1

[TABLE=class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=class: alt1, bgcolor: #F9F9F9]Hi all,Just found this site, I have posted my questions on other forums and I thought I would also post here as I'm looking for a wide range of views.

After thinking of it for years my husband and I are finally starting to make steps in moving to Australia. We are considering Perth, wa and for months now I have spent hours/days scrolling different threads to get ideas of places to live, cost of living etc, it's been hard work!

I am a registered nurse, been qualified 5 years now, background in respiratory.

My husband is a security officer, starting a course in barbering in the next few months (1 year course)

We have 2 kids, age 4 and 4 months.

We do not own a home in the UK

We have thought very hard about this and do not expect to move to a life of luxury. We expect to just have the same life (financially) as the UK with just a better 'life style'

I'm looking for people's views/advice on whether you feel our expectations seem real or not.

Having looked at various threads for months we like the look of northern Perth suburbs, tapping, carramer etc.

Both working full time with a joint Salary of minimum $100k

Total monthly outgoings of around $5k (rent $2300 per month, utilities,car costs, food shopping, activities etc totalling $2700 per month.

Joint salary of $100k giving us a take home Salary each month of just over $7k after deductions (used an online calculator, which is probably way off!) leaving us with an extra $2k each month to do as we please after all bills etc paid.

Does that seem about right so far?

With us both working full time we'd also have childcare costs so may have to look at the extras we have accounted for in that $5k per money expenditure.

We will be coming with no debts owing in the UK, a clean slate with £20k savings ($30k) after paying visas, flights, shipments etc.

We'd be looking at buying 2 used cars approx $5k each just to get us started.

I'd be grateful if anyone could advise me on whether this looks realistic to them or not?

In the UK we live in a rented home, after bills etc we don't have much money left over each month, we get by pretty good with money to enjoy days out etc but not much after that, we have used cars and have worked hard to get together our savings.

We are open to other suggestions of areas/states to live in which might suit our income better?

not big city life people, prefer quiet communities, still with transport to the larger areas, not too far from a beach, good schools.

Thankyou for taking the time to read my post.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

2300 seems about right for rent in those areas but have i got it right [ utilities,car costs, food shopping, activities etc totalling $2700 per month.] so thats 400 a month for food car and utliities , thats got to be wrong you may even get cheaper rent in those areas than what you have quoted but you wont do every thing else for 400 , i only use my car to go from oceanreef to wanneroo to work plus the odd trip to beaumaris shops to get milk and i go through 45.00 a week thats 180 a month half your budget

2300 seems about right for rent in those areas but have i got it right [ utilities,car costs, food shopping, activities etc totalling $2700 per month.] so thats 400 a month for food car and utliities , thats got to be wrong you may even get cheaper rent in those areas than what you have quoted but you wont do every thing else for 400 , i only use my car to go from oceanreef to wanneroo to work plus the odd trip to beaumaris shops to get milk and i go through 45.00 a week thats 180 a month half your budget

Thanks for your reply, I mean an additional $2700 a month for utilities, car, food etc on top of rent, therefore a total of approx $5k per month :)

The money should be right if you like the simple life - and tbh - you can have a pretty good time in Perth without spending much money, as the weather favours it.

In some ways it's an easier decision to make if you don't have a house to sell, as the exchange rate is not that great. Once your little um gets into school, childcare costs will decrease.

It sort of depends on you really. If you want it to work, then you have enough fundamentals in place to make it work.

(and don't worry about my avatar - you only get them in Sydney)

Guest Guest26012

It sounds ok. The areas you are looking at are in a good location for the hospital that I work at! If you want information on that just pm me, I'll be glad to help!

Childcare is a nightmare, get the children's names on waiting lists now, we have been on one for 6 months and still haven't been offered a place so I am paying $1000 a week for a nanny, which sounds a lot but is actually only $22 ph which is not really a living wage in Perth for anyone.

Nursery places, full time are $100 per day per child and they don't start full time until they are 5 yrs old.

Basically anything you buy over a counter here costs more than the UK, so be prepared for a shock when you do the grocery shopping and so on. WA sounds ideal for you though if you like it reasonably quiet and simple. Greta place to bring up kids too. We are Rockingham area (down south) and wife works in the city (45 min by clean, on-time and plentiful) train and I work locally at a school. Wish we had done it 20 years ago, the reduction in stress vs the UK would probably have added 10 years to my life expectancy. Day care can be expensive and hard to find but like a lot of things it really depends on the situation where you are. We have a daycare centre at our school and it has a waiting list but as they are building a lot of houses I hear that a new one is opening soon, so there will be more places than needed. thats how it goes in a lot of the growth areas, I guess it is harder in the more established areas. PM me if you want any more help. Cheers.