Bunbury - Insider knowledge needed!

SophieTheSoph

My partner and I are considering a move to Bunbury area from Sydney, where we've been for the last 18 months. The big motivation is that my OH wants to retrain at TAFE, and Bunbury seem to do the best course. Plus we love the outdoors, and aren't 'big city' people anyway, so never planned to stay too long in the big smoke.

Our main concern is around work and living....

I am an experienced marketing manager for the not-for-profit/government sector, and earn good-ish money in Sydney. I know this kind of work will be very unlikely to come up in Bunbury, but I am ready and open to a change, from admin type jobs (I am very organised and a good project manager) to even something like cafe work. Very much seeing it as a chance for a total life change, and would be quite happy not to sit in front of a desk all day!

We've obviously researched rental costs and so on, but most jobs advertised online in the area don't give any idea of salaries or hourly pay. Does anyone know what the going rate is for cafe work? Or a fairly simple office job? Or, conversely, how much you would want as a minimum salary in the area to support two people (while OH is studying)?

We're both very frugal with money, and ready to try a different way of life, but equally don't want to be idiots about it!

Thanks, StS

Hi there, admin jobs seem tough to find in the area, my wife and I moved here a couple of months ago. Our situation is diffeernt though, my wife is loking for part time, there are some mining companies based in the area who ar paying high 40s to early 50s for admin. Rents are (after moving from Alice springs) to us very cheap. 300 will get a very nice place in the burbs or even 280 in areas like usher. We are not big earners but have a good lifestyle and have made some friends here after only a couple of months. Good luck whatever you choose.

In my experience, for some jobs, the pay in a place like Bunbury will actually be a little higher than in or near the city. It's not quite like working away in the mines of course, but if they did have a marketing job down there (for example) they would probably have to be offering a little extra to tempt someone away form the city. I hope that makes sense. Good luck.

Thanks Burmans - I'm hoping there will be enough bits and pieces around to keep me going for a while, and maybe a 'proper' job in my field will come up some time.

I am resigned (and excited) to think that the move will offer all sorts of new and interesting opportunities beyond my previous experience, so if my career takes a whole new direction, so be it. A good test of my versatility and resilience!

Thanks Burmans - I'm hoping there will be enough bits and pieces around to keep me going for a while, and maybe a 'proper' job in my field will come up some time.

I am resigned (and excited) to think that the move will offer all sorts of new and interesting opportunities beyond my previous experience, so if my career takes a whole new direction, so be it. A good test of my versatility and resilience!

There's another thread around at the moment from a couple who have only been here a couple of weeks and gone to Margaret River. They have posted how many jobs are available and how easy it has been to get work. Don't know whether Bunbury will be the same but it's a nice place to live if you can get work. Good luck.