Gecko Repellent?

sioban

Our 'front porch' geckos have names! Taylor and Bob.... although a new third 'friend' has moved in during last couple of days, so we'll need to think of one for that one too. They have distinct features so we're actually able to know whose who!

If you don't like them, you won't like this, but I was having a good look at Taylor last weekend, and Bob jumped from slightly above and behind me down on to my head! I squealed more because I wasn't expecting it (made husband laugh), which scared Bob who jumped off and ran away...

Our 'front porch' geckos have names! Taylor and Bob.... although a new third 'friend' has moved in during last couple of days, so we'll need to think of one for that one too. They have distinct features so we're actually able to know whose who!

If you don't like them, you won't like this, but I was having a good look at Taylor last weekend, and Bob jumped from slightly above and behind me down on to my head! I squealed more because I wasn't expecting it (made husband laugh), which scared Bob who jumped off and ran away...

OMG - you're right, don't like that!

• 4 weeks later...

It might be because I've had other things on my mind right now but need to let you all I've been pretty brave twice over!

Incident No 1: getting house ready night my family were due to arrive and busy about the place when I discovered a gecko in my bedroom, cue a bit of a scream, poor gecko ran to under skirting board and hunting began - told kids I'm busy watch him and give me a shout when he comes out, gave them torch and switched off lights, lots of false alarms whilst I did ironing but eventually I managed to catch the little blighter under my empty coffee jar and deposit him to the garden. Couldn't believe I had been so brave - so poured a glass of wine to calm down.

Incident No 2: cleaning the worktop yesterday morning when I moved a toaster and a baby gecko ran out, jumped back, screamed etc - poor thing must have been terrified cos it was probably smaller than some of the cockroaches I've encountered but never the less I was terrified. Managed after a lot of screaming - which woke my daughter to get the thing out and as it was only 9am didn't hit the wine! Might just be able to conquer this fear! Would have been funny to watch as kids kept saying "Mum if you keep saying it's ok, it's ok why do you keep screaming?"

• 1 year later...
I have a totally irrational fear of geckos - I know they get rid of the bugs etc and the majority of people I know think that they are cute but they terrify me and I need to know the best way of keeping them out. We live in a modern apartment which has a glass front door and and a gap of an inch or so at top and bottom, I place a rolled up blanket at floor level to stop insects from just walking in but the geckos must be coming in at the top - swear I'll give myself a heart attack shortly if I don't find a solution!

I have sprayed surface spray around but doesn't work, have googled and seen suggestion for diluted dettol which I hate the smell of but will try, just wondered if anyone had any other ideas.

The only thing which does help slightly is wine - for me! After chasing said gecko out the door, a glass of wine helps me stop shaking like a leaf and if I've already had a glass I feel a bit more brave!

After 8 years in Oz, although my fear of geckos (totally irrational I accept), has lessened ... at least a little ... I have instigated of number of what I call 'gecko proofing tactics'to my home. First I used gap filler to fill all the cracks in the mortar around the bricks of the house at high level. With nowhere to hide and wait to catch moths and spiders, this had a major impact on the number that came out at night on to the deck ceiling, and on the windows and window frames. Next, I tried moth balls ... in my post box and in my bedroom ... all that did was make my mail smell disgusting and having me waking every morning with an headache. I tried insect spray, not effective. Hair spray ... only once -- not a pleasant sight once the gecko was dead ... kinda shrivelled ... yuck! I have my home pest treated inside and outside each year, use Pest bombs inbetween times, but still had the geckos. Bought a new vacuum cleaner with a long long attachment with the intention of hoovering them up ... found I just could NOT do it! So ... ready to sell my beautiful home, or move to a 17th floor concrete apartment ... I found the Dettol suggestion on a website. Tonight, for the first time, saw a gecko since reading about the Dettol, 3 short sprays later it fell off the wall and I have yet to venture back in to see the outcome! I realise that Dettol must be poison to the harmless gecko but my fear often rules my life once I have seen one and I have to do something. I have learned to almost tolerate seeing them in my shed, or the garage, so that is progress!

• 4 years later...

Hi all! I know this answer is a long time coming 😄 I live in North Queensland - the geckos here are a real problem. They are super cute but poo everywhere, short out electrical goods on a regular basis and here in the tropics, run the house all year round. About a week ago, they were all fighting and mating, clicking all night, dropping off the ceiling and pooing everywhere. I got sick of it and went online to find a solution. All suggestions were not really up my alley... tobacco coffee balls (yuck) chopped onions and garlic (yucker) mothballs (I dislike the smell of those more than I want the geckos gone!) Sticky paper (too cruel 😞 ) the only thing worth a try was eggshells. Yes, eggshells. The directions were that the next time you broke an egg, rinse the two shell halves and place them on a shelf in the kitchen (or wherever geckos were a problem) and they would frighten them away, as they would think they were a preditor! Hahaha! I laughed to myself, however, the next day (2 days ago) I had two eggs, rinsed the shells and put one eggs worth on a kitchen shelf and one eggs worth in the loungeroom and I now have a completely gecko free home! I kid you not!!! The directions went on to say replace the shells with fresh ones every 3-4 weeks. You could knock me down with a feather! 

Hope this helps someone. Here is the link to where the info came from:-

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/m.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Common-House-Geckos%3famp=1

Cheers & good luck