Darwin Weather

clairebowyer

Hi

My husband and I currently live in Perth, however, he has been offered a job in Darwin. Our main concern is the weather as we love the weather in Perth and we love the outdoor lifestyle.

Can anyone tell me:

does it rain almost constantly in the wet season?

How long does the wet season last?

Is it relatively dry in the dry season or are there a few wet days?

i have looked at average weather conditions on various websites but would like to get a local's perspective

We have been to various places in the tropics around the world (also we have been to Port Douglas - not sure if this would be similar)

Many thanks

No it doesn't rain constantly - during the Wet Season it is the humidity that is the killer. You need it to rain to help with the humidity. And generally it has heavy rain storms. I spent alot of time further down the NT, and sometimes would rain non stop for a week, but I dont think that happens so much up in Darwin.

The dry season is the best time in Darwin - the temp is around 30ish.

Wet season runs Oct - May .No it does not rain all the time but when it does OMG.The humidity during the wet season is awful and temps get up to 36c+ It does cool down briefly while its raining but the minute it stops its like a sauna.

If you are serious about relocating to Darwin then do your research carefully.Rego,rates,rentals,water,sewerage,electric have all just had a massive price hike.People are not happy and there is to be a huge rally against these changes on Dec 22nd !!!!!

From what my husband tells me it's the build-up that's the worst time of year (He lived there for four years in his teens). Once the wet has started it's far more bearable.

He likes to joke that in Darwin you can tell the weather by looking at the calendar, and during the wet, by looking at your watch. Apparently the rain always coincides with the end of the schoolday such that all the kids get drenched on the way home.

From what my husband tells me it's the build-up that's the worst time of year (He lived there for four years in his teens). Once the wet has started it's far more bearable.

He likes to joke that in Darwin you can tell the weather by looking at the calendar, and during the wet, by looking at your watch. Apparently the rain always coincides with the end of the schoolday such that all the kids get drenched on the way home.

Almost every day 4.30 Pm during December.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

The past couple of years have been a little odd.The rain comes at all hours of the day and night.Last week we had the hottest December day in 36 years.The oldies are all saying it is much hotter than it was a few years ago.The dry was lovely but still really hot.We have had some awesome, if not scary, storms

I dont know much about Perth prices,however I can say it is way more expensive here than it was in Sydney.Jobs have become thin on the ground,lots of xmas casual positions but not many full time permanent positions.

I still love Darwin but it is becoming too expensive to live here.

Hi

My husband and I currently live in Perth, however, he has been offered a job in Darwin. Our main concern is the weather as we love the weather in Perth and we love the outdoor lifestyle.

Can anyone tell me:

does it rain almost constantly in the wet season?

How long does the wet season last?

Is it relatively dry in the dry season or are there a few wet days?

i have looked at average weather conditions on various websites but would like to get a local's perspective

We have been to various places in the tropics around the world (also we have been to Port Douglas - not sure if this would be similar)

Many thanks

I live in Perth and have worked in Darwin a few times. I like it for a few weeks and was up there for all of June a couple of years back. It was just about perfect weather there whilst my wife was back in Perth telling me about the rain.

I think one thing you will have to get used to is how small Darwin is. I know Perth's not big but it is a proper City and even Joondalup would probably be bigger than Darwin. If you can afford to live close to the City of Darwin and not out in somewhere like Palmerston, which I didn't like one bit, it should be OK.

I like being able to go in the sea here year round and go to the beach almost daily. I would find it frustrating living in Darwin and not being able to do that.

I live in Perth and have worked in Darwin a few times. I like it for a few weeks and was up there for all of June a couple of years back. It was just about perfect weather there whilst my wife was back in Perth telling me about the rain.

I think one thing you will have to get used to is how small Darwin is. I know Perth's not big but it is a proper City and even Joondalup would probably be bigger than Darwin. If you can afford to live close to the City of Darwin and not out in somewhere like Palmerston, which I didn't like one bit, it should be OK.

I like being able to go in the sea here year round and go to the beach almost daily. I would find it frustrating living in Darwin and not being able to do that.

I didnt realise Darwin was so small actually. I live near Joondalup so know it well. I know what you mean about the beach - it seems a shame to have all these beaches on your doorstep in Darwin and not be able to use them.

We love the Perth lifestyle but this job offer seems to good to miss...

• 1 year later...