cronemeister

My story 3 months in....

Hi All

Haven't been on here much since arriving so just thought I would drop in with an update for anyone interested in reading it.

Well I've been here 3 months now and have to say that things seem to be working out pretty well. Had a bit of a wobble before coming out here to Oz when the missus said she couldn't do it, but eventually talked her round and she arrived 2 weeks ago - she stayed back cos our dog couldn't fly till the end of Oct....she'd rather be without me than the dog !!

So I arrived with our son (10) early september and started work a week later, my son also started school then. The first couple of weeks were quite tough as we were in a motel that work paid for to give us time to get a rental sorted out which we eventually did. We took a 3 month rental which was furnished and had no trouble getting it. Moving into our own place was a massive help, as prior to that we were living out of suitcases and eating out/takeaways and couldn't do any grocery shopping really. We have moved to a lovely corner of Victoria about 3 hours east of Melbourne called Bairnsdale - at least thats where I work, we are currently living in Payensville but due to move in 2 weeks.

A lot of you may or may not have heard of the place, but its quite out in the sticks but a lovely place, and there are so many wonderful places which are easily accessible from here.

My first month or so here was bizarre, and quite difficult, especially as I was away from the missus and our daughter (13). It seemed to take forever to get sorted with internet/phone and home and mobile etc so contact with back home was sporadic (mainly at work where I had wi-fi) which didn't help things much, but once contact had been established with the outside world again via the internet, feelings of normality started flooding back thankfully !! Its not much fun turning up at your new rental house on day one at 5pm when it's dark to find that the electricity hasn't been turned on when it should have been and the sim card you have in your phone has no-signal where you are....all part of the adventure I suppose.

So fast forward a little bit, and the missus is now here with our daughter who started her new school here yesterday. My kids love it here, they love school, they love the place and they love the weather......they have really surprised us !! They didn't have loads of friends back home, but the ones they had were good close friends, and they and my OH are very close to her side of the family...as am I (my side is a bit dis-jointed), already my two children seem to be forming a better bond between them (they have a typical brother sister relationship), but you can see signs of small changes already which is very pleasing. What is more pleasing is how my missus feels. She has left behind her best friend who she has known since they were 4 years old, and after initially not wanting to come out here, she appears to be loving it already. The drive home from Melbourne she says felt very familiar and a lot of the scenery on the way reminded her of the nicer parts of North East England where we came from. She loves animals and nature and stuff like that so it made her really happy and content to see so many animals on the drive home etc...I know it sounds daft, but those types of things make her happy. She loves the beach and the water, and we have already found what she describes as the best beach she has ever seen in her life so she is very happy at the moment. She doesn't miss anything about home, obviously she misses not being able to pop and see her friends and her parents etc, but not to the point where its affecting her or making her wonder if this was the right thing to do.

Facetime is a wonderful thing, and we speak to people back home quite regularly which is great for us, and especially the kids.

We are due to move house in less than 2 weeks which will also be a massive step and help for us, as our furniture and stuff will be arriving at our new house from the UK, so the kids will have their TV's and games consoles back etc, Daddy will have his PS3 and surround sound system and hard drives etc for watching movies again so that is going to be great....not to mention our lovely bed. We've managed to secure a lovely 4 bedroom home and have signed up for a year and done it privately with the owner direct to reduce the rental rate which suits both parties. We have the option to extend for a 2nd year also if we want it....which we more than likely will.

Do I miss the UK? In some ways yes, and in some ways no. I'm finding it very hard to get into the Christmas spirit at the moment. It's a bit surreal, walking back home of a night after you've just been swimming with the kids in the lake to cool down and walking past houses with Christmas lights, and stepping off the beach into supermarkets playing christmas music. We can't really afford christmas shopping this year as its cost us an arm and a leg to get out here and bring our dog and home contents and the christmas shopping always gets me in the spirit so I miss that, but I'm sure next year we will be sorted and be able to get the christmas shopping done early to help get in the mood, but it'll still be weird. In a funny way I miss the cold and the snow and all that christmas time used to bring us, but some of those things we can still have here...just not with cold weather...or M&S food :-(

We have said we will give it 2 years here to give us plenty time to settle and decide whether we made the right move or not. My partner will hopefully find work in the new year once the kids go back to school. My job is great, the place I work at is great and the people are also great so I've hit the jackpot there I reckon. Once the missus starts work we can start paying off the little bit of debt we have left back in the UK that the rental income from our home in the UK is covering (credit cards, next, overdraft...usual stuff!!), so once that's cleared off we can start saving either for flights back to the UK for holidays, or for holidays here. One thing is for sure though, even if we do head back to the UK after 2 years, we will be in a better financial position than when we left, and we will have had one hell of a holiday here in Oz...a long one at that, but early signs are looking good and everyone seems happy enough.

Good luck to all of you who are heading out here to Oz, despite some of the things you read on here it really does offer a lot and you will adjust and get used to things over time. It's horses for courses I know, but you gotta give these things a go sometimes. It doesn't make you a bad person if you decide it's not for you and head back to the UK.

I will try and drop in again soon with another update but if anyone has any questions I'll happily reply with pleasure.

Great update, thanks for sharing.

Keep having fun with your adventure

Back in Canada over a year and half, miss some aspects of Australia but glad to back home. !!!!

What a lovely update, thank you for sharing, it's nice to hear from people who have made the move and are settling in well.

Have a wonderful Christmas and please keep letting us know how you are doing.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Guest Ptp113

One of the best updates I've read yet. And not a mention of sausages or the cost of lemons!

You have settled in a beautiful area of Victoria. A great update on things. Have a great Christmas cronemeister. Keep on keeping on.

It is not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

Guest Guest16631

.............wonderful to read.............,that you have achieved so much and are so happy..............enjoy christmas..............just the difference will help make it special.............all the best to you and yours............tink x

that was a lovely post, second christmas here still find it odd with chrissy decorations in shops and it is hot!

A flying dog, now there's a thing to see.:wink:

Glad you are settling in well. Must have been tough without the missus and having to get the youngster to school. Hopefully much better now you are all together, certainly helped us as a family unit.

Have a good Christmas.

Thanks for taking the time to post your update. It is good to hear that you are all settling well and enjoying your new adventure. Please keep us updated from time to time.

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

great read!! always love reading the updates, and this was no different!

have a great "warm" x-mas!

I live more in 5mins of racing than most people do in the their entire lives!!

Glad you are enjoying it! Gippsland is one of the better places to be!

Guest Guest26012

Lovely update!

Lovely post, i really enjoyed reading that, yes please do keep us updated, even though you had a rough start sounds like your all settling in well & your wife sounds like me i love animals & great beaches so i'm hoping i'll love it when the time comes for us to give it a go too...

Ellen x

Ellen x

And you, Emma and the kids got to meet me !!! What more could you ask for :-)

love the update, so glad that it wasn't a someone told me it was great and I hate it post !!!

heres to the next 12 months, and to many more adventures (and BBQ's)

Lovely update :) We've been here for just over 5 years now and I love it more than ever. We live in a very pretty rural part of NSW (Rylstone) and wouldn't change it for anything. It hasn't all been easy - I got the homesickness wobble after 9 months but worked through it. Skype is my saviour there! Enjoy all Australia has to offer and do your best to call the place home. the sooner you do that the more it feels like home. I have one tip for everyone - surround yourself with positive people - it's amazing how it rubs off on you. I still feel very lucky to be sitting here on a beautiful summer afternoon :)))) Best of luck.

It's hard at times, we moved out here 5 years ago on New years Eve and i still remember thinking, what have we done! on day one. It was blisteringly hot walking through Brisbane, my dad was too upset to say hello on the phone when i rang to say we'd arrived safely and we had no job, nowhere secured to stay beyond 2 weeks and had to decide within 4 weeks where to live as my daughter was due to start school. All so daunting!! but I love it here, our day to day lives are so much better. I hope that you continue to love it too, and that Facetime is enough to you in-between visits home. It's great for a more intimate catch up with friends. Good luck and thanks fr a good, positive post!

Great update!

I'm heading out to NSW this year and it's so good to read something like this, as I find myself panicking regularly about whether I'm doing the right thing! :laugh:

Really enjoyed reading your post, we have been looking into the big move as me and my hubbie are totally fed up of the long winters and rubbish summers here in lancashire. My OH has to go to australia to sit an oral exam and pass it before we can apply for a visa, so hopefully he will pass the exam and we can then apply for the visa. Somedays i think are we doing the right thing??? as we have lots of good friends here etc and i do like where i live but then i get so fed of being stuck in every school holiday as the weather is so rubbish!!! My OH works on the rigs so works away for 4 weeks which will be hard at first until i meet new friends etc but i think when your children are young you meet new people all the time through school,partys etc... and i just think when he is off work for 4weeks imagine how great it will be to spend that time outdoors enjoying the weather! So hopefully it will happen for us, as i love the outdoors and so do my kids, please keep us updated on how you are getting on, thanks!!

Fantastic update. Well done to you and your family.

Hopefully Aus will be everything you and your family dream of. xx

VETASSES Stage 1 lodged 02.11.12, Receipt acknowledged 13.11.12, VETASSES returned as Successful 23.01.13.IELTS passed June 2013. State Sponsorship app sent 26.6.13, accepted 28.6.13. Found out we have our case officer....6/9/2013. VISA GRANTED 16.10.13. Left UK 30th September 2014, landed Perth WA 1st October 2014.