Taxes on WHV??? Help please.......

paddyandhollyB23

Guest littlesarah

The rate of tax you pay depends on whether you're considered resident or non-resident. My understanding is that most people on WHVs are considered non-resident (and therefore pay a different rate of tax from residents), but there are exceptions.

The Australia Taxation Office website contains lots of information: http://www.ato.gov.au

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/36280.htm

This is a better ATO link.

See the examples of Kate and Janine.

If you are living in one place for (usually) more than 6 months you might reasonably consider yourself a tax resident, rather than a non resident for tax purposes.

Tax residents access the tax free threshold, the 19% rate band, and the low income tax offset.

Best regards.

Hiya mate, bit off topic but I'm going to Perth in February and I'm a carpenter. Have you already sorted some work or are you just hoping to sort it when you arrive? Do you know anything about the white cards that you need to work in construction? Also does the b23 part of your name refer to the postcode as I am from Birmingham? Cheers Den

That website is really helpful and the example of Kate would be the same as me meaning I would be classed as an Australian national.

I am in negotiations with a Perth construction company that have new projects starting in 2013. I am hopeful of getting a position with them ( Iam a site engineer / eengineering surveyor). However I am aware my position is in demand and have been told once I am in the country a lot more opportunities will open up. I would prefer a metro job but may look into FIFO works if needs be.

I believe the white cards are the same as our cscs and believe the company you work for will sort it out. It may be different with your line of work.

Yes I'm from Erdington what about yourself?

So I take it you are planning on staying in Perth long term? What do you mean by metro & FIFO?

Yes I'm from northfield, other side of brum to you but not a million miles away. Have you sorted somewhere to stay in Perth yet or are you just going to sort it when you arrive?

I have the whv and wanted to go down that route instead of being sponsored and being tied to one company. Also it's a lot cheaper in case things don't work out and we cone back. My mrs wasn't keen on the move initially but has finally come around. We will see how things develop in the year.

FIFO is fly in fly out works in the mines usually working a roster 21days on 7 off etc. It's great money but hard work so I've been told, plus you are staying away from family. Metro work is working around the city which I prefer.

We have secured a fully furnished rental in Safety Bay about 50 mins south of Perth. It's really close to beach and we got a good deal on it. Really wanted to secure it before we went as it saves a lot of messing when we're there. It's good to know we have somewhere to stay in the long term.

What are your plans, and when do you get out there?

If you are on a WHV forget mining. Hard now for those with pr, was always hard on a 457 sponsored and almost impossible on a WHV. Now, with the downturn effectively impossible. New mining projects are being canceled and existing cutting back.

As for coming on a WHV and thinking it will turn into anything long term is very dubious. This forum and others have plenty of posters desperate at the end of the WHV. The reality is that unless you have very specific skills such as medicine. Mining and construction are already suffering and going to get worse before they get better.

Sounds like you've got it all planned out nicely. I wish I had some sort of plan lol. I fly to Perth on the 20th feb, I am going to book 2 weeks in a hostel before I go & then take it from there. If I like it in Perth & I can find work for decent money then I will probably stay for a while before heading north. That is a general idea of what I would like to do but may change depending on work situation & after speaking to people in the hostel. I just worry that I am trying to do too much with starting in the west & hoping to eventually get all the way over to Melbourne in the summer but I had a look today & a flight to cairns is only around £200 so that's not too bad. I haven't got a clue what to pack etc yet though, there's so much to think of!