457 Defacto 6 Weeks Pregnant- help!

Roxy1990

Hi Guys!

Ive got a mix of questions I need answered so not sure if I'm in the correct thread but here goes-

My boyfriend is the primary visa holder and I work as a permanent employee 4 month into my 6 month probationary period. We are both covered with Medicare cards.

Firstly- in terms of the pregnancy does anyone have any unfit on if we're covered or any costs involved

Secondly- I don't intend on telling my employer until my probation is up but am I entitled to maternity leave? Paid/Un-paid? If they somehow find out before my probation is up can they extend this or use it as a way to finish my contract?

Really worried about the whole situation so any info would be great :)

Congratulations!

I would think that the pregnancy will be covered by medicare, with maybe the exception of the scans and blood tests, but that is really only a guess from what I have seen posted on here in the past. I don't think that provision for maternity leave is great here, but again I don't have first hand experience.

Hopefully someone a bit more helpful will come along in a bit.

You do not have full Medicare on 457 visa, you can only have reciprocal cover, still I have seen other 457 holders with only reciprocal Medicare and they seem to manage fine with that.

Most employers would expect 12 months employment before there are any maternity benefits, regardless of visa or even citizenship status, so unles syou are very fortunate you need to be prepared for nothing. Perhaps your company has an intranet site you can look this up on? You definitely won't get any government benefits.

I would be just about certain that ending an employment because of a pregnancy would be against employment law.

hi,I am a dependent of 457 visa.We are in Australia for last 28 days and recently I discovered my pregnancy .I'm just wondering what it's going to cost me. Our private cover has a 12 month waiting period on pregnancy so we're not covered yet and won't be by the time the baby arrives.As we came here from the UK we do not know where to go first.We are in Geraldton which is about 200 km from Perth.Can anyone give some idea how to do the ANC and where to go.

hi,I am a dependent of 457 visa.We are in Australia for last 28 days and recently I discovered my pregnancy .I'm just wondering what it's going to cost me. Our private cover has a 12 month waiting period on pregnancy so we're not covered yet and won't be by the time the baby arrives.As we came here from the UK we do not know where to go first.We are in Geraldton which is about 200 km from Perth.Can anyone give some idea how to do the ANC and where to go.

Hi Jil,

Congrats.. it's defintely different to the UK and im still going through this myself... only 7 weeks tomorrow. So far I paid for my doctors appointment which was the first one after I got the positive test... that was 80 bucks as the surgery doesn't 'bulk bill' and a cheque came for 50 bucks the next week as a rebate. You need to get set up with a medicare card if you havn't already as the reciprocal health care with this means the birth etc is all for no cost. The only fees you will incurr are any scans and blood tests along the way... which you get most/some of the cost back... and I actually havn't paid for any of mine as somehow this part of my visit was bulk billed by my doctor. Im due for a scan tomorrow which will cost $140 and then Ill have to claim some of that back through medicare. We are not entitlied to any government benefits so no paid maternity leave.. and my company have offered up to 1 year unpaid leave once i've been with them for a year (which I will be by my due date) We also dont get any rebates for child care so basically I dont think the whole thing is very expensive at all aslong as ur partner can support you both financially. My family work in the healthy system in Perth and they have all had their babies in public hospitals, Infact they dont even have private health care... so If I were you i'd try and save some cash by getting rid of that. We don't have private healthcare for our Visa... the recipricol healthcare covered us for visa requirements. (They don't always tell you this is enough, we nearly took out private at a ridiculous cost.) Anyway... thats all I have for now... hope it helps a bit!! Good Luck :)