Sorry, another which year will my son be in Queensland?

THORPES

Hello

I hope someone can help.

My son is turning 11 on Saturday, his date of birth is 01/12/01. He is currently in year 6 in the UK.

I have enquired to a school on the Gold Coast about enrolment and they have replied saying he will have to start year 7 in January 2013????

This would mean he will never complete year 6.

I am really confused because when we lived on the Sunshine Coast, he was enrolled in year 4 in January 2011.

I really wanted him to go to this school and don't know how to proceed.

Please can anyone advice what year he should be in.

Thanks

Jill

xxx

Hi Jill Its RIKKI here , Our Niamh is currently in year 4 (she is now 10 since 30th Oct this year) , school ends here on the 14th December for school summer hols and they go back around 27th Jan.Niamh will be in YEAR 5 when she returns and Jack is a year older than here isnt he??, when they were in the Sunny coast Jack was a year above Niamh so my reckoning is he will go into year 6.If you are thinking of him going to school at Coomera Rivers if they say YEAR 7 he will more than likely end up going to the New Pimpana school where Tricia's lad is going all year 7 & 8 are starting this time , how ever kids in other schools have the option of staying where they are or else go to the new school.By 2015 all kids in year 7 will move up to secondary school so confusing i know but im sure you will work it out see u soon xxxxxx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jill, your son is the same age as mine. He will be starting year 7 in January. This year group started school before they changed the enrolment qualifications. It used to be worked from January until December, now it is from 1st July until 30th June. I thought that my son would go down into year 5 but they kept him in year 6 when we arrived. Some of his class are going to high school for year 7 but as it was optional( for this year) I decided he would stay at primary for year 7.

Elaine

Thanks everyone.

the school we wish to send him made a mistake in saying year 7. He will start year 6 in January 2013.

Queensland education emailed me back to say he can go in year 7 but would depend on his academic ability etc... His dob puts him year 6 thank goodness.

x