You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sign in to follow this  
gparkes

visiting dogs in quarantine??? would you??

Hi all,

Looking for advice really,

My dogs are flying over on 3rd March. They have been living with my parents since we left on 16th December.

I can't wait for them to arrive but when i was talking with my husband last night he seems to think that i should not visit them and wait until we are taking them home to go and see them.

His point is that it will upset me and upset them more if i went to see them only to leave them again an hour later.

He is not going to see them and says he will see them when he can bring them home with us.

What did other people do? and what do you think?

I really miss them and can't wait to see them but i totally understand where he is coming from and so i am totally split in what i want to do or what to do for the best?

Gail

Gail (29) Tony (41) Olivia (3)

Living in Melbourne since 2007 and love it

:smile:

Guest jogrant3232

Hi guys not sure on this one either, Im going to see how I feel when/if we get there. I think the dog would be worse if he seen me then I had to go again. I was going to see if I could send him first so when I got there I would only have a couple of weeks before I could fetch him. Dont know if you can do this or not?

Hi guys not sure on this one either, Im going to see how I feel when/if we get there. I think the dog would be worse if he seen me then I had to go again. I was going to see if I could send him first so when I got there I would only have a couple of weeks before I could fetch him. Dont know if you can do this or not?

That would have been the ideal solution but we had 4 weeks to get here as my husbands employer wanted him working asap, so thats why we left so soon and the boys were left with my parents and in the hands of the export company to get things sorted out.

So we are already here and they are still in the uk

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Gail

If it were me, I would visit as often as the kennels would let me, so that the dogs would know that I am not far away, and also to check on their condition and talk to the kennel people if need be.

I know that billy braveheart visited their dog whilst she was in quarantine. Why not try sending him a PM asking him to look at this thread?

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Mrs Braveheart

Hi

Yes Billy did visit Cassie in Q a few times. She got outta Q the day I arrived in OZ & went straight to kennels as we were staying with friends who had a dog. When she was in the kennels for 6 weeks I only visited her once as I couldn't bare it she was fine but I was not.

The dogs really are fine from what I have been told its the owners that get more upset than the dog (not sure if I believe that on tho). I was the same as your hubby wanted to go get her to bring her home.

Janette

Guest Clarabelle

HI Gail

I think you'll be so excited when you know they've landed that you won't be able to help but go and visit. I couldn't sleep the night before I visited my dog Connie at quarantine in Byford and I burst into tears through shear joy when I visited. It's upsetting when its time to leave but the time goes so quickly and you can plan as many visits as you can. The 30 days will just fly - I promise.

Cheers, Clare

Guest monty

Hi Gail,

Unfortunately our dogs were in quarantine in Melbourne and we were in Adelaide so couldn't visit because of the sheer distance. We sent them parcels with toys and treats each week and I rang the station 2-3 times a week. I think if I were in Melbourne I would visit them, but my OH wouldn't. He says that I'm a big wuss and thinks that I would of been heartbroken everytime I had to say good bye. But I honestly would've loved to be there for them to give them a cuddle and reassurance after being stuck in a crate for all that time. I felt so hopless. I wouldn't say I was totally miserable while they were in quarantine but not seeing them for myself to see how they were coping was really difficult.

But saying that they've been out 6 weeks now and I've had no problems with them at all. They are very settled and have adapted to life here very well.

Montyx

Guest Pingpongpom

Hi:smile:..we visited our dog in Byford i think (Perth) as soon as we arrived..we went as a family..us and 3 kids and she absolutely loved it..it was hard to say goodbye, but we knew it wouldn't be long before she was with us all again..we just wanted her to know we weren't far away..

Pingpong:cute:or Tess

Thanks all,

I have thought long about this and i have decided that i will go and see them as i miss them so much and you are right that it will let them know that i am here and not too far away.

Thanks for all your advice

Gail

Guest melly

Good on ya Gail-we went everyday. Your dog soon realises the pattern and when you have to leave, you come back again and one day you come and visit and then take them home-yippee !

Thanks all,

I have thought long about this and i have decided that i will go and see them as i miss them so much and you are right that it will let them know that i am here and not too far away.

Thanks for all your advice

Gail

Guest adey

Not sure if you can send him ahead of you think it depends on your visa. Just a word of warning we are bringing our dog over and we've been warned that there is a five month queue at Perth and we've been advised to fly her to Sydney for quarantine and then fly her to Perth but this will add alot to the cost. Our friends dogs are in Perth and they are being treated very well and she said that they are really happy and they've even had toys bought for them. Our dog is in the UK and we arrived in October as we knew it was an issue to have pets in rented accommodation but luckily for us our landlord will allow us to bring her over as long as she stays outside (most dogs here live outside during the day and come in at night and it seems to be the rule if you rent).

We managed to find rented accomadation fine and we stated that our dogs were not outside dogs and did stay inside the house. It doesn't seem to be a problem here at all.

My dogs got there import permit through last week and the export agency have managed to get the a place in quarentine from 5th march so even that isnt too long away and i was also told 5 months for melbourne quarentine and that is only 6 weeks away.

I think it must just depend on the time of year.

Guest billy braveheart
Not sure if you can send him ahead of you think it depends on your visa. Just a word of warning we are bringing our dog over and we've been warned that there is a five month queue at Perth and we've been advised to fly her to Sydney for quarantine and then fly her to Perth but this will add alot to the cost. Our friends dogs are in Perth and they are being treated very well and she said that they are really happy and they've even had toys bought for them. Our dog is in the UK and we arrived in October as we knew it was an issue to have pets in rented accommodation but luckily for us our landlord will allow us to bring her over as long as she stays outside (most dogs here live outside during the day and come in at night and it seems to be the rule if you rent).

Hi Adey,

yes you can send them in front of you we sent our dog on the 26th july and didnt get visa granted till the 3rd of august.gamble we took and it payed off,but because byford was booked solid we had to go ahead otherwise we would have missed the slot and would have delayed us getting here

billy

Guest marcon

Hi can anybody let me know there experience good or bad getting your pets to oz Our misty has already got her pet passport for this she needed the chip and rabbies jabs is there anything else she may need your advice would be graetly appreciated what would the cost be roughly to melbourne

Guest Mrs Braveheart

Hi Marcon

Welcome to PIO

As said above we used pet travel services they are based in Dunfermline so quite handy for you. All good reports from me. Yes abit of a worry sending the but all good. What type of dog is Misty all depends on size. For our GS it cost £2700 not including Quarantine charges of about $750 & blood tests etc.

Janette