taking the dog to oz.

Guest jonny.co@tiscali.co.uk

hi,everone,

we have a little cockerspaniel bitch,aged 9 months, enquired about taking her to oz,know all about what is involved,the only thing worrying me is the quarantine part at the other end, i know it is only a month,and i know it sounds stupid but will she still remember us, a month is a long time to be away from us,and will they look after her,the way that we do.:smile:

Hi Johnny,

We took our three cavalier king charles spaniels with us and they spent 30 dys in quarantine at spotswood in melbourne. They were released just before Christmas and they are fine and they didn't forget us. They're even happier than when they were in the Uk because they can get to go to the beach now!!!

Hope this gives you some reassurance.

Monty

thats put my mind at rest,your cavalier king charles pooches look georgous.our little dog loves the beach,we have the beach just down the road from where we live,have they coped with the weather alright.:jiggy:

It was in the 40s at christmas and in the new year but they all had a really good haircut before they came out which helped. But when I say 40s its a dry heat opposed to the humidity that you get with the heat say in Brissie, so I think its more bearable. Its been in the 20s recently and theyre fine as long as there is plenty of water and shade they tend to sleep through it.

Monty

Guest kelly.stobbart@sky.com
hi,everone,

we have a little cockerspaniel bitch,aged 9 months, enquired about taking her to oz,know all about what is involved,the only thing worrying me is the quarantine part at the other end, i know it is only a month,and i know it sounds stupid but will she still remember us, a month is a long time to be away from us,and will they look after her,the way that we do.:smile:

Hi we are looking to take our dog what website did you get your info from? I think the quarantine will be fine the aussie's look after their animals and as you say it is only 30 days. It's more the flight that concerns me, have they told you what the procedure is?:yes:

hi.

best info you can get is from the vet that your pet is registered with, our vet was brilliant talking us through all the procedures that we would have to go through,such as rabies injections,passport if needed,ect ect.Also recommended:wacko: a company to use that would sort out all the flight details for the dog,and transportation. it is a very expensive procedure,roughly £3,000 per dog,if you have more than one it is alot of money,but to us she is worth every penny.

We brought our 2 retrievers with us and used Golden Arrow in Shropshire (no website) it cost £4300 for the two of them, then $1300 for quarantine. They didnt need rabies injections or a pet passport. Just need blood tests 4 weeks before they fly to check they havent got certain diseases.

And they were soooooo pleased to see us again they are still going mad!

Sam x

We brought our Boxer over to Melbourne and he was absolutely fine in quarantine. You are also able to visit them whilst they are in there, a maximum of 2 visits per week. As we were within easy reach we did this and there are facilities for you to be able to take them out of their pen and into designated exercise areas for a good run around. Our initial thoughts were that going to visit would be too upsetting for all parties but we rang the quarantine station and asked their advice and they suggested that if we could visit it would be good. That said many people just cant manage this and their dogs manage just fine. From what I saw the staff at these quarantine stations are very good and genuinely care for their charges whilst they are in there. Hope this might allay a few of your fears.

Guest jogrant3232

This is my biggest concern. My dog is my baby and he pines if I go up the shop without him. Basically he is spoilt rottern and its all my fault so how hes going to be ,traveling and in quarrentine just turns my stomache. I know its somthing I have to do and better this than leave him behind but it doesnt make it any easier...

Archived