Scotch eggs

Guest monty

100 grams of pork mince per egg

1 slice of bread (bread crumbed) remove crust per egg

quarter tea spoon of mustard , pinch of ground fennel

salt and pepper mix all in food processor

boil eggs and peal obviously

roll out sausage meat mix , cover egg with sausage meat roll in a ball , next u need one raw egg whisked and bread crumbs to coat the eggs , dip meat wrapped egg in to the raw egg mixture then roll over bread crumbs and repeat for a second time

put in to deep fat fryer for two or 3 mins until golden then put in oven for 10 mins on 180 degrees c ...job done nicer than any deli I've even paid 5 dollars a egg from the Brits on the bayside shop and nowhere near as good as home made x

Incorrect assumption - and don't you think that might have been the first place I would look?

I don't think it's a incorrect assumption . Coles do sell them u may av looked and been unlucky but I think he was trying to help you . I think I'll stick to my own company I'm in disbelief at some folk here .

Why they called Scotch eggs, i can't taste whiskey in them?:rolleyes:

Not sure about the whiskey but there was the most amazing Scotch Egg stall at Wonderwool in Builth Wells at the weekend - he had everything else so there may well have been whiskey ones (the ones with Stilton were to die for!)

I don't think it's a incorrect assumption . Coles do sell them u may av looked and been unlucky but I think he was trying to help you . I think I'll stick to my own company I'm in disbelief at some folk here .

It would be helpful to know which branches of Coles. My branch has not had them in the five years I have been shopping there.

Guest Guest66881

Just found this snippet:

1. The London department store Fortnum & Mason claims to have inventedScotch eggs in 1738, but they may have been inspired by the Moghul dish nargisi kofta ("Narcissus meatballs").

:wink:

Our local IGA has them in their deli section. I've seen them in loads of places. Taste exactly the same as I remember.

I am happy to know that they are on sale in Perth. They are also widely available in Scotland. My question was where I might get them in Melbourne.

Why they called Scotch eggs, i can't taste whiskey in them?:rolleyes:

If you could taste whiskEy in them, they would be Irish eggs. :) There is no E in Scotch Whisky.

Guest Guest66881
I am happy to know that they are on sale in Perth. They are also widely available in Scotland. My question was where I might get them in Melbourne.

If you could taste whiskEy in them, they would be Irish eggs. :) There is no E in Scotch Whisky.

Whiskey whisky all the same to me:wink:

David Jones in the city (Melbourne) now sell Scotch Eggs again !!!!

Many thanks. I had my first Scotch egg today in over five years :) They are rather firmer at DJs than back home - and at $6 a pop they will be a rare luxury, but pleasant.

Many thanks. I had my first Scotch egg today in over five years :) They are rather firmer at DJs than back home - and at $6 a pop they will be a rare luxury, but pleasant.

Is there no IGA's in Melbourne? I've seen stacks of IGA's that have them in the deli counter. Quite often bring one for lunch. My aussie workmates used to laugh when I first brought a pork pie and a scotch egg for lunch, then they tried it and liked it.

Is there no IGA's in Melbourne? I've seen stacks of IGA's that have them in the deli counter.

IGA doesn't sell them in Melbourne. However many times you tell me they are widely available in Perth, it isn't much help if I live in Melbourne.

Yep we make our own too, now a bit of a Christmas time tradition for us, and boy do they go quick, the problem is though, finding the best pork sausages/meat.

Actually fairly easy. Next time you do roast pork, keep about 400g of lean meat. Then when you do belly pork, put aside 100g. To make, put the two in a food processor with some herbs to your choice - I find sage and oregano work well. Blitz. Add salt and pepper and any other flavouring such as garlic / chilli / onions (I gently fry first usually). Add a good hand full of breadcrumbs - I just put a couple of slices of ciabatta in the oven on very low while I am doing everything else and crumble them and put them in. I add an egg, but no need to to. Blitz until smoth.

• 3 weeks later...

Never fond of scotch eggs in England and not too fond of them now either. Although they have a good nostalgia aspect.

Most Thomas Dux stores sell them in the deli.

I forced my Aussie hubby to eat one (and a pork pie) against his will - he said a disgusting concept and he didn't understand the fuss poms made about them. :laugh:

Archived