Brisbane one year in!

paisleylass

OK, it's a bit over a year (we arrived 04.11.2011), but I've been mega busy and hardly sat down at home the past few weeks! So on this quiet Saturday morning here goes!

Blimey, what a year, and what major changes in our lives. The mood before arriving here was an odd mix of excitement and fear - what if we hate it?! The day we flew to Brisbane we were in LA and I clearly remember being in Vons supermarket freaking out and crying. We went outside where I sat blubbing on a bench for aaages, questioning what we were doing. Looking back, I feel a bit foolish about that, because our lives have improved drastically and here are a few of the big changes that a year or so ago we couldn't have foreseen:

1. We have a cat! Partly broughht on by isolation when my hubby worked away, plus seeing kittens in the local pet shop, I got seriously kitty-broody. Hubby wasn't keen at first and I suspected being in a rental it wouldn't be allowed. One day hubby actually said, just ask the rental agency. I did, and 10 minutes later they got back saying yes. Yay! So a few weeks later we found our baby at Logan pound, through a pet rescue website. Little Chester, a cheeky and super affectionate 7 month old ginger tom, stole both our hearts and we took him home via the pet supply store. He's our family out here, and we both love him loads <3

2. Perspective on money has changed a lot. Since I started work after 3 months sitting on my bum, we are doing pretty OK, and had the opportunity to send $$$ back to the UK to overpay the mortgage there. However, house prices here have made us realise what a piddling amount we actually paid for the house in Paisley we are now renting out. In spite of that, we are pretty upset with the recent valuation for remortgage being 30% lower than we paid - feels like we're chucking money at a lost cause. Hopefully one day we can pay it off, sell it and have a decent deposit on a new home whether in Aus or UK.

3. I love messing about in the water! Before moving here I hadn't been swimming in nearly 30 years. Around Christmas we started visiting beaches and soon graduated from paddling to floating around with boogie boards. Then at Easter this year we stayed in a hotel with a fab pool and with encouragement from hubby I re-discovered swimming. Now I'm a member of the local pool and do aqua aerobics 4 times a week and feel great for it.

4. Eating habits have changed a lot. No more ready meals, far more steak (nom), and we eat out far far more. The choice of restaurant and pub food here is great, and there are some real bargains with memberships and things like Entertainment Book coupons. I also had salary sacrificing at one job and got a meal card, meaning all meals out were tax-free :oD I miss that!

5. Social life is very different. We don't have such a bunch of established friends and have no family out here (other than kitty!), and most nights out are just us, but we do have some great pals here both British and Aussie. Next weekend we're off to Melbourne to hang with Aussie pals we met in California :o)

6. Travel - We definitely get around quite a lot and colleagues in particular have commented just how often we go up the coast etc for weekends. We're soon going to Hawaii which I've dreamed of for years - it's SO easy from Brisbane, would have been a major pain from Paisley! I don't miss European travel - yet. One day maybe we'll crave a weekend in Berlin or Brussels but that hasn't happened so far.

Better stop soon as Saturday morning is fast disappearing! But on the whole we are SO glad we came out here, and all this resulted from a quick CV send and interview in response to an ad for sponsorship! I don't know what will happen in terms of going back or staying here permanently - nothing is planned as yet, we're just taking it a day at a time and enjoying ourselves in the process :cute:

We also have 2 rescue kitties :)

They are our Loves too xxxx One of them is a flood victim from the floods. The kittens were abandoned.

Yeah, as cute as petshop kittens are there is something far more rewarding in adopting a little rescue kitty! I don't know our boy's background (was scared to ask!) but Logan has a problem with stray unregistered cats that can't be claimed. He is very much domesticated and happy/trusting so hopefully he wasn't abused or abandoned.

Ours were both with their foster mum from 6-8 weeks old approx, she had two young kids and rescues lots as she works for the rescue place.

Our big boy was 8 mths when we got him, she had him from 6 weeks, he was found wondering the streets alone.

She looked after him when we went away for a weekend last year and he became attached at the hip to our little girl, so we ended up comming home with two! She was 6 mths when she came and they are a year apart in age :)

Yeah, as cute as petshop kittens are there is something far more rewarding in adopting a little rescue kitty! I don't know our boy's background (was scared to ask!) but Logan has a problem with stray unregistered cats that can't be claimed. He is very much domesticated and happy/trusting so hopefully he wasn't abused or abandoned.

Ours were both with their foster mum from 6-8 weeks old approx, she had two young kids and rescues lots as she works for the rescue place.

Our big boy was 8 mths when we got him, she had him from 6 weeks, he was found wondering the streets alone.

She looked after him when we went away for a weekend last year and he became attached at the hip to our little girl, so we ended up comming home with two! She was 6 mths when she came and they are a year apart in age :)

Aww :o) they look really sweet and happy in your avatar! It makes my blood boil - and moves me to tears - that people can mistreat lovely animals. These rescue folk are wonderful! And so are we for giving the furbabies a nice home!

Guest guest30085

I think I've been living in a parallel universe for the last 12 months! A few people have posted that they've got to their 1 year anniversary in Oz, I thought you'd gone about 3 months ago?

it sounds like things are going well for you and congrats in the new arrival of the furry variety :). I'm glad things are going well for you x

Cheers folks, very happy to be here even if it is an insanely stormy day! Adonna, yes a full year! Weird as it's gone fast, but so much has happened and changed it seems like much longer?! Timewarp madness.

Gordon, I've seen a few of your posts and wow, your time is here!! Blimey, have a great trip and I hope you enjoy it as much as we have. Scotland has its charms, but for us it's all been about change and that has worked so well for us. We are really looking forward to a trip to the UK next year, seeing people and places, but this is our home for now and to us it's a better home than the one we left :cute:

paisleylass, this is an awsome post.

were flying out to brissy from lanark this coming wednesday. were feeling the exact way you described. thanks for the reasurances..

Gordon

You'll be fine! i know you'll miss us.. but dont worry me and dave will come visit you next year or the year after :laugh:

Nah but seriously it must be scary and no wonder people freak out but im sure it'll be worth it