gilbo

bricklayer arriving

hi everyone

my family arrive in mandurah on the 8th march 2013 . im a bricklayer of 22 years and going to be looking for work asap.anyone out there with advise on the best route to do this ? is there as much work as i hear.:smile:

No not as much but there are always adverts in Saturdays west Australian for decent brickie a you'll be fine.

Visa Applied 25/5/11, GRANTED 16/9/11 Now Living the Dream In Perth:jiggy:

Guest katie007

March 2013 is a few months away you will find it a little easier then then now as there is a massive low come xmas time - if you doorknock and have the right qualifications behind you , you should do well.

Alright pal,

Congrats on getting through the process, i hope the final part of the move all goes smoothly for you.

I am also a bricklayer, however with much less work experience than yourself (8 years) and my wife and i are also going through the process. The Uk has had it and by the time things come good again, il be an old man!!!

Ive got my Technical interview this coming Tuesday in Manchester and wondered if you have any advice for me as to what questions/topics they cover in it.

We are also aiming at WA, around Perth and have actually looked at Mandurah briefly, however were not getting carried away with ourselves as i believe states can change their SOL without warning.

Seeing as you are further ahead in the process would you mind keeping in touch through this forum site? It would be really helpful to have someone whose from a similar background to turn to for advice.

Cheers

Hi pal, got back from perth several months ago and loads of work.I walked the sites where lots of english are working.There is tons of work.Its dead easy as well as all brickwork etc is done by profiles and not the construction of corners as we do over in the uk. Also dont tell them that you can do several different jobs such as concrete, tiling etc as they (ozzis) simply cannot get there head around it that some can do multi task construction and to a decent standard. Good luck

Voted worst newcomer. 2010, cheers x. Visa Application 3/2 /12. Granted 20/5/2012. Builder Now in Perth

It's slowed up now a bit but still loads more work than in the uk from what I've heard, good luck working with the new gauge as well......lol

Two brick high by a brick and a half long, the same again but only a brick in height (long reach) oh yea and wait till you see the damp .....lol....internals don't get mud between in the perps only in the first course and on the corners, yea it'll seen strange at first but you'll get used to it quite easy.

Good luck

Daz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]another year another slogg

Cheers Daz

Yeah i've heard its like starting all over again regarding brick size, mortar type, materials etc. Australian brickies are supposed to be among the best in the world i hear. Im looking forward mainly to be able to work without the constant threat of a bursting cloud above me. haha.

Do most lads manage to find work before they go, or is it just a blind leap of faith, with you pretty much finding work as soon as you land? Or do most try and secure contacts before hand. Only, through my research on the net, there doesnt seem to be many vacancies anywhere in WA considering the supposed demand for brickies!

When i came i landed on the Wednesday at 5:40pm and was laying bricks at 6am on the Thursday.....lol

Not quite as much work at the mo but still loads out there

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]another year another slogg

Yea I keep hearing conflicting reports, quite worrying. Prob gonna be 12 months before we can afford to go. Just hope things stabilise.

Over in Sydney there seems to be a fair amount of work about.I must admit the standard in my experience is very poor wish some of the guys I worked with in the uk would come over,

Over in Sydney there seems to be a fair amount of work about.I must admit the standard in my experience is very poor wish some of the guys I worked with in the uk would come over,

Hello Rallyman,

I'm coming to Sydney this month, I'm a bricklayer with over 20 years experience, can you tell me what sort of rates to expect in the Sydney area?

15/02/12 Application for Vetassess, 28/03/12 Passed stage 1, 28/04/12 Bricklaying practical with Vetassess. 8/05/12 Passed practical. 09/06/12 Sat IELTS L7.5, R7, W8, S9. SS SA applied 16/05/12 Approved 18/06/12.Visa Lodged 22/06/12. VISA GRANTED 25/07/12

Hi Ste

if you have a ABN which is the way most work (self employed ) anything from $30 to $45 if you have Pty company subcontracting you might get $55 if you are lucky.

you would get the $55 plus if you have your own liecence doing your own work, on price most get around $1.20 scooner and $1.00 common.

hope this helps

Thanks mate

15/02/12 Application for Vetassess, 28/03/12 Passed stage 1, 28/04/12 Bricklaying practical with Vetassess. 8/05/12 Passed practical. 09/06/12 Sat IELTS L7.5, R7, W8, S9. SS SA applied 16/05/12 Approved 18/06/12.Visa Lodged 22/06/12. VISA GRANTED 25/07/12

Hi

Arriving in Melbourne in August just wondering can I look for work and start laying straight away or do I need to register with any one first?

Paul