Excess Baggage at the airport

spenner

Hi guys,

I'm flying out to Oz on the 6th December, my booking is with Qantas. Tricky thing is, on the first leg of the journey I'm going from Manchester to Heathrow with BA, then Heathrow to Cairns (via Sydney) with Qantas.

I've contacted Qantas regarding pre-purchased excess baggage and this was their response:

In regard to pre purchasing additional baggage allowance. This can only be done once you have purchased your ticket and from 7 days up till 3 hours prior to your flight.

To find the cost for pre purchasing additional baggage allowance using Frequent Flyer points you must log onto your Frequent Flyer membership and then retrieve your booking. This will allow you to get a costing using your points for additional baggage. This will vary depending on the route you take.

Additional baggage is only eligible tp pre purchase on Qantas operated and marketed flights. If another carrier is in the booking this option is not available.

My question is, if the option to pre book is not going to be available on my booking and I turn up at check-in with an extra bag what will happen?

When I check in with BA at Manchester my luggage will be checked in for the whole journey, I won't see it again till Cairns. Will BA just charge me their £34 fee for the extra bag, will BA charge me their £34 fee and Qantas $120 fee or will they refuse? I'm really confused and getting a definitive answer from Qantas is a nightmare.

Any help please?

Spenner.

Guest The Pom Queen

If you have booked with Quantas then I'm presuming they are sharing the aircraft with BA. I'm not 100% which excess fee you would be charged but as your luggage is going direct you will only be charged once afaik. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

My girlfriend is in a similar position. Flying Dublin to London with Aer Lingus then rest with Qantas (ticket booked with Qantas). Qantas told her she would have to pay Aer Lingus for the extra bag for the whole trip and Aer Lingus told her she should pay Qantas.

I'm interested to see if anyone has experience with this...

My girlfriend is in a similar position. Flying Dublin to London with Aer Lingus then rest with Qantas (ticket booked with Qantas). Qantas told her she would have to pay Aer Lingus for the extra bag for the whole trip and Aer Lingus told her she should pay Qantas.

Hi Wallen, when's the better half going out? My wife and me are going 6th Dec, would like to hear others experiences before then.

Hi All,

I've got the same problem. Flying from Newcastle to London with BA, then with Qantas to Melbourne. Qantas explained that BA might charge me the £36 and then Quantas would charge an additional $120; basically they did not know! Not very helpful! They said i could not book the baggage in before and just had to check in with the additional bags. Fingers crossed!

Unfortunately she's not flying out till 2013 so not much help to you guys. But please do let us know what happens to you re luggage.

Hi Wallen, when's the better half going out? My wife and me are going 6th Dec, would like to hear others experiences before then.

Hi guys,

I'm flying out to Oz on the 6th December, my booking is with Qantas. Tricky thing is, on the first leg of the journey I'm going from Manchester to Heathrow with BA, then Heathrow to Cairns (via Sydney) with Qantas.

I've contacted Qantas regarding pre-purchased excess baggage and this was their response:

In regard to pre purchasing additional baggage allowance. This can only be done once you have purchased your ticket and from 7 days up till 3 hours prior to your flight.

To find the cost for pre purchasing additional baggage allowance using Frequent Flyer points you must log onto your Frequent Flyer membership and then retrieve your booking. This will allow you to get a costing using your points for additional baggage. This will vary depending on the route you take.

Additional baggage is only eligible tp pre purchase on Qantas operated and marketed flights. If another carrier is in the booking this option is not available.

My question is, if the option to pre book is not going to be available on my booking and I turn up at check-in with an extra bag what will happen?

When I check in with BA at Manchester my luggage will be checked in for the whole journey, I won't see it again till Cairns. Will BA just charge me their £34 fee for the extra bag, will BA charge me their £34 fee and Qantas $120 fee or will they refuse? I'm really confused and getting a definitive answer from Qantas is a nightmare.

Any help please?

Spenner.

You could always try other companies such as the excess baggage company or cargo force. They can either collect from your door or departure airport and deliver it to you destination airport. I think they do it from Manchester airport but you would need to check. However they put it on the next available flight with spare cargo room so it can take a few extra days to get to your destination.

It may have changed but this is what happened to us in 2009. We ended up deciding to take 2 extra cases the night before, we knew we had too much stuff but didnt realise how much. Resigned ourselves that we would have to pay charges but decided whats another couple of hundred after spending so much. Checking in with Credit Card in hand to pay for the excess(booked with Qantas but it was BA Glasgow-Heathrow, then Qantas the rest of the way)and the girl said because we were flying the rest of the way on Qantas we could take as much as we like as long as each case wasnt over 32KG!! Dont know if this was right or she didnt know her job but who cares we left the queue two very happy travellers!!

Will have to do a dry run and see what we can squeeze into our free allowance! Think the plan'll be to get up to our 3 x 23kg limit and then maybe take 1 extra piece the same weight. I'm guessing they won't refuse to take the extra bag and the worse that could happen is I have to pay around £116 for it. This is still a lot cheaper and easier than using a courier.

Not necessarily cheaper than using a courier. I just returned from the UK with 60.6kg of excess luggage. I booked it through www.transglobal.org.uk and then selected the option to use TNT as the courier. It was picked up last Tuesday at 5pm UK time and delivered to me in Sydney last Friday at 10.30am AUS time and I could track it all the way online. Cost was £213.

Hi guys,

Any help please?

Spenner.

I did the exact same thing in July this year, except flying to Adelaide rather than Cairns. I paid £40 to BA for an extra suitcase at the airport and didn't have to pay anything else to Qantas.

Not necessarily cheaper than using a courier. I just returned from the UK with 60.6kg of excess luggage. I booked it through www.transglobal.org.uk and then selected the option to use TNT as the courier. It was picked up last Tuesday at 5pm UK time and delivered to me in Sydney last Friday at 10.30am AUS time and I could track it all the way online. Cost was £213.

Was it just "normal" suitcase items you had in your packages, eg clothes, footwear etc. and did you have any issues with customs? I've looked at a few of the parcel broker firms on the internet and they say either that personal items aren't allowed to be sent or that they may incur customs charges on arrival.

Cheers.

I did the exact same thing in July this year, except flying to Adelaide rather than Cairns. I paid £40 to BA for an extra suitcase at the airport and didn't have to pay anything else to Qantas.

It's worth a try and if we get away with £40 or free, all well and good.

Hi Spenner. I must confess i didn't come across anything that mentioned not being able to send personal items so I was honest about what was in there. I put 'clothes (used) - no shoes' and also 'craft items', 'pram accessories' 'children's books and toys - used'. The reason I put no shoes is that I know this is something quarantine like to look at in case there is mud or plant material on them. As far as I am aware you can bring items of a value up to $1000 without incurring customs charges, but I put the items as used and a total value of £350. There were no charges incurred this end at all, and the service was door to door.

Hi Spenner. I must confess i didn't come across anything that mentioned not being able to send personal items so I was honest about what was in there. I put 'clothes (used) - no shoes' and also 'craft items', 'pram accessories' 'children's books and toys - used'. The reason I put no shoes is that I know this is something quarantine like to look at in case there is mud or plant material on them. As far as I am aware you can bring items of a value up to $1000 without incurring customs charges, but I put the items as used and a total value of £350. There were no charges incurred this end at all, and the service was door to door.

Cheers, might have another look at them then as a backup.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also travelling in January 2013 with Aer Lingus and Qantas. I received the same advice as your girlfriend. I was told by Aer Lingus they will honour the 23kg limit and also my bike (which I was able to book in online with Qantas). However, they said for any other bags, I had to book them in with Qantas and Qantas said I had to book them with Aer Lingus, so frustrating. I see from other posts that BA allows you to purchase another bag when you check in with them for a code share. However, does anyone know if Aer Lingus also allow you to do this?

thumbelina...

Anpost will post 20kg registered to Australia for 65 euro, might be worth it if you have an address you can send it to. Thats what we will prob do. If you do figure out how to get it on the plane will you post and let me know how you?

Thanks

Edited by wallen