ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest cabron81

visa 857, employer going bankrupt

Guest cabron81

Hello everyone,

I got my visa 857 granted july 2011, my 2 years contract would finish in 8 months time, however my employer has been under a lot of pressure and well, making story short most likely going bankrupt.

I been in the country over 4 years in different visas, I called DIAC and they advised that i could apply for citizenship, so i did. I applied about 2 months ago still waiting to get an appointment to do the test (I recently called they said they had big loads of applications so would take some time, not sure how many months)

I been reading the forums and I believe DIAC wont remove my PR if my employer goes bankrupt, due that I been working over a year with them and I been proving genuine effort is this correct?

What would happen if in the next months I can not get another full-time job in regional Australia, financial situation is not at its best, do I have a time frame to get a job?

Money is not an issue as me and my wife (which got spouse visa status) got a few savings, only concern is, what if i remain unemployed until i get citizenship.

Other question I got is, as my wife is going to start a small business (not related to my skills) could I work with her there?. I'm worried in breaching my current visa conditions.

Stressed about this situation, I thank your help in this matter. :arghh:

Welcome to PIO

As you have applied for citizenship - I don't think you would have any problems from DIAC if you were made redundant from your current employer.

Ask a RMA but I think whatever you did wouldn't be an issue since it is not your fault that your employer does not have anymore work for you, so you woulnd't be breaching your visa conditions.

A Registered Migration Agent would be best to put your mind at rest.

You won't have a problem. You have tried to forfill your part of the deal, it isn't your fault you can't. And you have been there long enough that they won't worry. You can work for whoever you like.

Has two beautiful Aussie little girls :-)

Guest cabron81

Thanks for your answers!

If you don't mind, I got another question.

As you said, I would not have a problem looking for another job, my question is would I be able to look for a job in a city, for example Brisbane? Would that be possible due to my current visa 857 (company that is going bankrup used to be in sunshine coast) Or would that be breaching the visa conditions even though that I applied for citizenship?

And if my wife has a business in Brisbane could I legally work there?

I'm asking this because there is more work opportunity in the city.

Thanks very much for your help

Hello everyone,

I got my visa 857 granted july 2011, my 2 years contract would finish in 8 months time, however my employer has been under a lot of pressure and well, making story short most likely going bankrupt.

I been in the country over 4 years in different visas, I called DIAC and they advised that i could apply for citizenship, so i did. I applied about 2 months ago still waiting to get an appointment to do the test (I recently called they said they had big loads of applications so would take some time, not sure how many months)

I been reading the forums and I believe DIAC wont remove my PR if my employer goes bankrupt, due that I been working over a year with them and I been proving genuine effort is this correct?

This should not even be a DIAC issue. It would only come to their attention if you were reported by someone, such as your employer. Even then you have given your best effort to stay employed in a regional area. No need to stress I reckon!

An immigration rep at an expo in Sydney was saying that they would only cancel a PR visa in very exceptional circumstances, such a fraud and someone scamming a company and leaving after like two days.

If they close, find a new position anywhere in Australia. Good luck with Citizenship!

Trainee442-01/06 WHV-09/08 Bridge-02/10 457-03/10 Tourist-02/11 Student-03/11 Bridge-10/11 457-12/11

ENS-186 Nom: 30/01/12 Grant: 20/09/12, Visa App: 25/09/12. GRANTED!! 10/05/13 :jiggy: