Vetassess Assessment- Metal Fabricator

mikef

Hey guys been reading through this thread there's some very useful information here! Just wondered if you guys could help me out with getting paperwork together for vetassess. Did you guys take some pictures/videos of yourself working on a job as evidence? Is this a requirement or do you not need them?

Thanks in advance, Adam

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi friends..,

I have completed first stage with METAL MACHINIST (first class) . My second stage technical interview on sep2016 . please anyone guide me . What are the question they will ask ?

Please help guys .., I am so worried about interview .

If you guys give your email or phone number i will contact and get information about interview .

thanks in advance

kk.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys I'm probably a bit late in asking nervous as hell as got my technical interview on weds.

been in oz almost 5 yrs now and have had the odd jobs but knocked back on way to many and probably down to not having this metal fabricator qual.

im a Pipefitter and have done a little bit of welding but not much but I'm just worried what I should study up so I kind of know the answers.

i been in the industry as a Pipefitter for 24 yrs and before that 3 yrs in a workshop using various machines,bending metal in furnaces,using power press machines and lathes. As well as tons of other stuff.

in regards to the pipe fitting from fabrication of spools to make pipe supports,drilling and marking out steel,installing panels in bulkheads,pressure testing, torquing to even dismantle of sea water lift pumps and fire pumps etc list goes on a lot of years offshore as well as site work and odd workshops. Or site made workshops on site.

A lot of years experience but a lot of stuff I ain't done in a long time. I'm getting this qualification to see if it really makes a difference in gaining some work as it seems these days it more of a requirement to have it.

So be great to know what you guys was asked on the day, I have cert for Pipefitter and nvq from way back one of the first guys to be put through the nvq back in uk at the time.

i see you guys might have more plating or welding backgrounds which I have done a bit of both but my work more involves pipefitting and mechanical side of things.

4 hours ago, bwatt99 said:

bwatt99

I maybe too late in replying to you, don't stress or worry about the interview, basically if you have been doing that trade for the length of time you have you will be fine, most of what i was asked was very basic health and safety, what ppe would you wear if, and that was for most of the power point slides, i was asked how to set up a mig out of the box, parallel lines and triangulation, gas pressures, name some basic tools you use every day, i was so worried about it, i stayed overnight the night before just outside london as my interview was at 9.30 am, i was sat in front of a computer screen and web cam, given a landline phone to speak to the guy in Australia who was asking the questions, i know i got a couple of answers slightly wrong, more nervous than anything as it means so much to pass and gain the 10 points, but rest assured, if metal work is you field you will be ok, i did try to swat up on some areas, things you don't always do everyday, but i didn't really need to, they know what to ask and know straight away if your genuine about it, some people do try it on as i was told and they know time served metal workers or not, i asked the guy at the interview in london, after it was complete if i did ok, he said go home and chill out, i don't think you have anything to worry about, he was right, within 10 days i had my certificate !!

Good luck with it and let me know how you go please

Thanks for the answers might need to read up about some of that, parallel line not sure if was something i did back in the day as a pipefitter was so long ago. Having done mig welding,only tig tacking and little bit of stick it's not really a strong point of mine. And getting these to work right is trial and error pending on thickness of material etc etc.

As goes with gas pressures again trial and error just play around on scrap metal.

i have done so many things over the year and a lot of the technical side of it was so long ago which is easy forgot if not used often.

8 hours ago, bwatt99 said:

Hey guys I'm probably a bit late in asking nervous as hell as got my technical interview on weds.

been in oz almost 5 yrs now and have had the odd jobs but knocked back on way to many and probably down to not having this metal fabricator qual.

im a Pipefitter and have done a little bit of welding but not much but I'm just worried what I should study up so I kind of know the answers.

i been in the industry as a Pipefitter for 24 yrs and before that 3 yrs in a workshop using various machines,bending metal in furnaces,using power press machines and lathes. As well as tons of other stuff.

in regards to the pipe fitting from fabrication of spools to make pipe supports,drilling and marking out steel,installing panels in bulkheads,pressure testing, torquing to even dismantle of sea water lift pumps and fire pumps etc list goes on a lot of years offshore as well as site work and odd workshops. Or site made workshops on site.

A lot of years experience but a lot of stuff I ain't done in a long time. I'm getting this qualification to see if it really makes a difference in gaining some work as it seems these days it more of a requirement to have it.

So be great to know what you guys was asked on the day, I have cert for Pipefitter and nvq from way back one of the first guys to be put through the nvq back in uk at the time.

i see you guys might have more plating or welding backgrounds which I have done a bit of both but my work more involves pipefitting and mechanical side of things.

Sorry its Thursday i do it not weds i keep saying weds for some reason lol.

If they ask you two forms of marking out for a cone, they are referring to the answers of triangulation and parallel lines but they may not ask, most other questions are so simple, safety boots, gloves, basic ppe, oxyacetylene, how you light a torch, pressures for gas, name some mig wire sizes, 0.6   0.8   1.0 etc, name two types of tungsten for tig, things like that

good luck today, again let me know how you go please

Also im in oz in november and will be looking for work if you have any contacts

Thanks

• 3 years later...

Hi bwatt99 I’ve been reading your threads for a while now, did you have your skills assessment done? We are coming over towards the end of this year and my partners a Pipefitter in uk and we are debating is it worthwhile getting his skilled assessed or not bother? His original qual is heating and ventilation but we have been told most pipefitters get skilled assessed for metal fab as he has no aircon experience, just wanted your experience as to what it’s like out there for pipefitters

On 23/02/2021 at 13:47, Lambo1602 said:

Hi bwatt99 I’ve been reading your threads for a while now, did you have your skills assessment done? We are coming over towards the end of this year and my partners a Pipefitter in uk and we are debating is it worthwhile getting his skilled assessed or not bother? His original qual is heating and ventilation but we have been told most pipefitters get skilled assessed for metal fab as he has no aircon experience, just wanted your experience as to what it’s like out there for pipefitters

I totally agree with you Lambo

On 23/02/2021 at 22:17, Lambo1602 said:

Hi Lambo, I came to Adelaide last year with my wife and kids as a metal fabricator.

There is plenty of work around Adelaide for metal fabricators, although alot of it is for structural steel welders.

Where are you looking at going?

18 hours ago, Lavers said:

Hi Lambo, I came to Adelaide last year with my wife and kids as a metal fabricator.

There is plenty of work around Adelaide for metal fabricators, although alot of it is for structural steel welders.

Hi lavers hope you and family are well.

Do you know what the work situation is like in construction?

41 minutes ago, Eagle2020 said:

Hi lavers hope you and family are well.

Do you know what the work situation is like in construction?

Hiya mate all good here, you had any news yet?

Seems to be plenty of work in construction (in SA anyway).

The government keep running grants for 1st time buyers on new builds, and they seem to be spending alot on infrastructure etc.

19 hours ago, Lavers said:

Hi lavers 

yeah we seen there’s loads of work for metal fabricators just he’s not a metal fab trust him to have the only trade that’s not recognised out there! We would like Melbourne but we need to go where there’s a job for him so we are open to anywhere really, his original qual is heating and vent engineer but with no aircon experience that’s pretty pointless we are finding out. I can work in any state so will work around him.

have you settled into Aussie life? Did you have your skills assessed prior to going or have you not needed the Aussie trade? 

1 hour ago, Lavers said:

Hiya mate all good here, you had any news yet?

Seems to be plenty of work in construction (in SA anyway).

The government keep running grants for 1st time buyers on new builds, and they seem to be spending alot on infrastructure etc.

No news yet just waiting. So frustrating !!

1 hour ago, Lambo1602 said:

Hi lavers 

yeah we seen there’s loads of work for metal fabricators just he’s not a metal fab trust him to have the only trade that’s not recognised out there! We would like Melbourne but we need to go where there’s a job for him so we are open to anywhere really, his original qual is heating and vent engineer but with no aircon experience that’s pretty pointless we are finding out. I can work in any state so will work around him.

have you settled into Aussie life? Did you have your skills assessed prior to going or have you not needed the Aussie trade? 

We've settled in to our new life seamlessly, everything fell into place so we can't complain really.

I worked making pressure vessels and doing pipework for the food industry in the UK, though it isn't that big here in SA.

The company I worked for had set departments, so Fabricators, welders, fitters etc. Over here you do it all so I have had to start doing more welding.

Your husband could just fall into another welding job doing something different from pipework.

I had to get my skills assessed before applying for my visa.

4 hours ago, Lavers said:

We've settled in to our new life seamlessly, everything fell into place so we can't complain really.

I worked making pressure vessels and doing pipework for the food industry in the UK, though it isn't that big here in SA.

The company I worked for had set departments, so Fabricators, welders, fitters etc. Over here you do it all so I have had to start doing more welding.

Your husband could just fall into another welding job doing something different from pipework.

I had to get my skills assessed before applying for my visa.

Aw that’s good I’m glad your all settled, sorry for my late reply on night shift, he doesn’t weld.....well he can do some basic welds but not enough to do it as a job is that something he would just have to do as part of a job? He doesn’t mind doing that but plenty of Pipefitter jobs say have to pass welding tests etc, we looked at getting his skills assessed but the duc said he would fall under metal fab he isn’t one of those due to the welding side and the sheet metal part, he’s just been a Pipefitter doing power plants, oil and gas, plant rooms, zoos, schools, hospitals, pharmaceutical plants etc that’s where it gets difficult due to the welding aspect of it 

18 hours ago, Lambo1602 said:

Aw that’s good I’m glad your all settled, sorry for my late reply on night shift, he doesn’t weld.....well he can do some basic welds but not enough to do it as a job is that something he would just have to do as part of a job? He doesn’t mind doing that but plenty of Pipefitter jobs say have to pass welding tests etc, we looked at getting his skills assessed but the duc said he would fall under metal fab he isn’t one of those due to the welding side and the sheet metal part, he’s just been a Pipefitter doing power plants, oil and gas, plant rooms, zoos, schools, hospitals, pharmaceutical plants etc that’s where it gets difficult due to the welding aspect of it 

Are you coming over on your skills or your husbands? If its yours then he doesn't have to do a skill assessment.

Is the pipefitting your husbands been doing just with screwed joints etc and no welding. I would have thought that majority of pipework would be done via welding, though I could be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

hello everyone,

Would be very grateful for some help.

Have my technical interview coming up as a Metal Fabricator, nervous about how difficult it maybe. 

Confident on the tools, but haven't looked over some of the things they test you on for a long time. Been working as a Welder/Fabricator for just over ten years now and currently working in Melbourne. Really need to pass this interview so I can keep my current job. 

any help would be much appreciated. 

cheers, 

Robble 

3 hours ago, robble said:

hello everyone,

Would be very grateful for some help.

Have my technical interview coming up as a Metal Fabricator, nervous about how difficult it maybe. 

Confident on the tools, but haven't looked over some of the things they test you on for a long time. Been working as a Welder/Fabricator for just over ten years now and currently working in Melbourne. Really need to pass this interview so I can keep my current job. 

any help would be much appreciated. 

cheers, 

Robble 

Hiya mate this it what I posted the other year when I did my interview.

So I've just finished my technical interview and I though I'd pass on what to expect.

Like everyone says it's very informal and it's just like your having a chat with someone at work. If there's areas your stuck on they help you best you can to give an answer.

So questions they asked where:

*Give measurements off a drawing on screen.

*Name tools on screen ie. Tape measure, rule and vernier  (tricky).

*Talk about mechanical tools you use, with correct PPE and also what checks you do before using.

*Talk about what parts you need to set up The,Mig and stick welding sets.

* What gases you use for each and different tungsten for the ie. Red & Grey.

* Shown me a couple of weld symbols and asked what they where.

* What first aid and quality procedures your company has.

*What's on a WPS sheet and also COSSH.

Bit gutted they didn't ask about pattern development as I've been brushing up on it over the last few days.

All in all it took 1hr 10min as if you'd answered things in another question he'd skip a few.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Lavers