Can't keep the mozzies off me at night :(

Tamsalina

Hi guys,

I'm having a major problem with mozzies biting me during the night and it's driving me insane. We bug bomb the house every 3 months, I have one of those automatic sprays on 24/7, and I spray myself with Aeroguard before bed every night! The kids aren't getting bitten but their rooms are closer to the automatic spray so I figured that maybe they were coming into ours as it's at the far end of the house from the spray.... so I got one of those Raid plug ins for our room but I still had 5 new bites when I woke up :mad:.

Anyone got any bright ideas? I must be doing something wrong!

Are you keeping the windows/doors open in the evening without fly screens?? I'm sorry your having mozzie issues,I know how awful they are....and how costly these sprays,creams and allergy tabs can be.

If you have and use fly screens that really doesnt sound right, especially using sprays as well. I know with kids its hard to keep screen doors closed, we ended up putting an automatic return on the door,lol, as i was sick of saying 'shut the door'..

Id also make sure there is no stagnant water around, empty flower pots, buckets etc near the house as this can be a breeding ground for mossies.

Cal x

IId also make sure there is no stagnant water around, empty flower pots, buckets etc near the house as this can be a breeding ground for mossies.

Cal x

If you can, pour oil into the top of any garden storage water tanks etc.

It's thick enough that the larva can't breathe (they sit just under the surface), and you generally take the water from the bottom (where the oil sits on top) so it's not contaminated.

Just never run it dry.

Yes we have fly screens and the kids aren't big enough to open the doors themselves yet so no problem with them being left open! I keep my ceiling fan on at night too as someone told me that made it hard for them to fly?? No stagnant water about, I've been keeping a check as it's coming up on dengue season so want to stay safe....

They must be hiding in my room somewhere, but I don't know why the plug in thing isn't getting rid of them! I find the automatic spray thing really effective and I have to sweep up dead bugs from the rest of the house all the time. Just not our bedroom...

Might have to look into a net, can you get them for kingsize beds??!!

Guest guest17301

I wear mosquito bands too...sounds like you're taking all the usual precations..try a band on wrist or ankle, I'm very prone to bites and seems to work for me. Buy from chemist about $10 for a pack of two, they don't last long but you could try them out

Hmmm, I'd just assumed it was mozzies! The bites are huge and randomly spaced. I went to the docs with them recently as if I get bitten below the knee I have a terrible reaction to them, he looked and said it was mozzies and these ones look the same...

Anyway, just been snooping round the garden and found there are quite a few of the little beasties loitering round my hosepipe. It's not got a puddle of water beneath it or anything but maybe just the remaining moisture from the hose could be enough for a breeding ground for them? What does everyone reckon? That might explain why there's loads about as the hose is just outside my bedroom :eek:. But still not how they are getting in.... or managing to bite me through all my precautions!

Try Natures Own Vitamin B 150... Great for lots of health things, in addition to slightly changing the way your skin smells so the flying insects aren't interested...

It works for me better than any of the chemical lotions, sprays and potions I'be tried...

Good luck :)

Cx

I agree with this, I've always been advised to eat Marmite on toast at least every other day whilst away, or take vitamin B supplements as the mozzies don't like the 'taste'! It's loaded with B vitamins. I never get bitten (*touches wood*) ....though I tend to top it up with a fair bit of quinine in my G&T's too....just to make sure! x

An advice from whom have in a Tropical country grown up. One can't afford (as my family could not) and should not as it is chemical, for the whole life spread cream on their skin. Simple, cheap and efficient: Mosquito net over the bed. end of problem. like already suggested here. and enjoy your night :)

I've been bitten really badly this year too. Never been bitten before, definitely mozzies though because I saw one on me. I have one bite at the back of my calf which has kind of made a crater which is taking an absolute age to heal up. I was bitten when we were gardening late one afternoon. Because I haven't been bitten before I never even gave them a thought. Some useful suggestions here thanks.

There is always someone in the family the mozzies like best. Unfortunately it seems to be you.

Try what everyone else has said then maybe try to find a lodger that is more tasty to mozzies than you?

Although it may scare a lodger away when you ask them to sleep at the end of your bed:confused:

When my English wife first moved to Australia she used to have multiple "huge" swollen mossie bites on places like her bum even after wearing layers of clothing. I would be next to her wearing next to nothing the whole night and not get bit at all (I'm Australian).

It all stopped after the second summer and she barely mentions it these days so it seems it can be far worse in your first year or two if that gives you any hope. Hope you haven't been here 5 years already :)

Edited by fish.01