Advice needed

DenKav

Hello everyone. So, my visa has been granted & I am itching to get my flight booked so I can look forward to it but do not want to rush into anything in case I make a bad decision.

My plan is to book a flight to Perth for the end of February & visit some relatives & maybe stay for a month or so depending on work etc. Then I would head North up to Broome and Darwin in about May time, stay here for a month or so & then move on to Cairns in About August & stay here for a few months until summer kicks in & then head back down the East coast & finishing up in Sydney for Xmas & New Year & then to Melbourne for my last month or so & then maybe stay another year.

Does this sound like a good plan, firstly for the weather? When is rainy season up North? I've heard Cairns is party town , would I be there at the right time? Secondly to fit in 3 months of seasonal work. I am a carpenter & after reading the sticky about seasonal work it sounds like I could work in construction wherever I go which would qualify, is this correct? Where is the mining work? Where are most of the fruit picking/farming jobs? I do not want to have to squeeze this in at the end if it is mostly over on the East Coast. So if I do it as I plan then would there be enough opportunities for me to do my seasonal work?

Is it Easy Enough to travel up the west coast & is there any cheap ways of doing this? Another problem I have is that I would like to go to NZ to do some Skiing but I am presuming the skiing weather for NZ is May - September, when I will be in North Australia. How hard is it to get from north Oz to NZ, is it just as easy as going from south Oz?

Sorry I have so many questions I just do not want to be going to all the wrong places at the wrong times.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks Den

You plan sound good weather wise. Hitting Darwin at the right time, during the dry season.

Traveling up the west coast, you may be able to find people in Perth that have a car that may be doing that. I did the easyrider tour, which is jump on jump off, which was good, but I wasnt looking for work on West Coast.

As for going to NZ, you would likely be able to get cheap flights from Brisbane - Try Virgin Blue (Quick look Brisbane to Christchurch for less than $400 return) or try Jetstar, Air New Zealand, maybe get flights to Queenstown.

Its good to have a plan but also good just to go with the flow.

You will have a great time, Australia is great, and New Zealand in Amazing.

This is just a rough plan at the moment. It all depends on funds etc. I think NZ is going to be the hard thing to squeeze in, I would like to go over to ski but would also like to go over to do all the other stuff, bungee jump, sky diving, usual sightseeing etc. this would probably be best to do in the summer wouldn't it? Maybe I would have to do 2 trips if I could afford it.

I know what you mean about going with the flow, this is jut a rough idea but I just want to get an idea of best times to visit places so that I know I can fit in all of the things I want to do without having to go cross country all the time.

Thanks for the advice.

Den

Why don't you tag a month on at the end to do New Zealand? Looks like that would be the NZ summer but there is plenty to do all year round. And well I am not a skier so maye don't understand, but snow and mountains are surely better in Europe anyway, so not a disaster if you are not there in NZ at the right time?

I went to NZ in February couple of years ago, it was great and we especially enjoyed Queenstown.

Is NZ on a different visa than oz? Like could I leave oz when my visa is up & then go to NZ for a month & come home from there? I have heard NZ is pretty good for skiing & as my friends at home don't really ski then I was hoping to go whilst out there. Hopefully I will wualify for my 2nd year anyway & I will have plenty of time to do everything. Jut got to hope I can find work to fund it all.

NZ gives UK passport holders 6 months visa entry at boarder - no need to apply for a visa before hand.

[h=4]United Kingdom and Australia[/h] British citizens and other British passport holders who produce evidence of the right to reside permanently in the UK can visit for up to six months without a visitor visa.

Edited by lebourvellec

Is NZ on a different visa than oz? Like could I leave oz when my visa is up & then go to NZ for a month & come home from there? I have heard NZ is pretty good for skiing & as my friends at home don't really ski then I was hoping to go whilst out there. Hopefully I will wualify for my 2nd year anyway & I will have plenty of time to do everything. Jut got to hope I can find work to fund it all.

sounds like a good plan weather wise and hope you make it all around Oz! You should try going from melbourne to perth though some amazing stuff to see on the way :). ALSO NZ is STUNNING! Get yourself to Queenstown and surrounding areas to go skiing and see all the mountains and glaciers. You can get a working holiday visa for NZ too which lasts a year, possibly 2! Could always do that after Oz

BritChick I love your way of thinking, I may just do that, I hear off some people that NZ is even better than oz so I am defo going to have to go & make my own mind up.

When you say Melbourne to Perth do you mean travelling across the soath coast? I haven't heard of many people doing this but if I stay for a second year maybe I would do that. Just have to see what my situation is when the time comes.

Thanks for the advice

There are so many things I want to do. I just hope I can get my 2nd year visa so that I can fit it all in. I have heard today that just by doing the 88 days seasonal work it won't guarantee a 2nd year visa, does anybody know if this is true? Thanks

Hello

A cheap way to travel round Oz is to either liftshare (which can be arranged on Gumtree or in hostels - usually a couple have got a few spare seats in their campervan and you just pay your share of food, petrol, accomodation etc), Greyhound bus (which can actually be rather expensive - although cheaper than flying - and the distances are HUGE so be prepared to sit on a bus for 24 hours plus) or do what we did which is do rental relocations. There are lots of one way campervan rentals that need to be drven back to their original destination so if you're prepared to sit it out and wait for your route to come up (or be flexible with your route), you can find a good deal. We travelled from Alice Springs to Broome in a Britz motorhome - had to do it in 6 days according to the rental agreement, but paid $5 a day for a brand new 4 berth motorhome with shower, aircon, loo, tv, double bed etc. They also chucked in $250 for fuel so total fuel cost was around $300, plus food for a week and the camping sites (some are free if you don't need power). We worked out the kms we would need to travel a day, got up early, drove a lot and then budgeted one or two days for relaxing and no driving. Awesome if you don't mind driving long distances, are over 21 and have an Aussie licence (easy enough to convert your English one to an Aussie one - took about a week).

Re weather - save the top end of Aus for the dry season - March til Oct as it's so hot up here, it'll get sticky and humid...the odd cyclone...if you're looking to work, those conditions aren't perfect!

On the subject of work, save up as much as poss before getting here. The majority of jobs for WHV holders are the bog standard bar - waitress - cleaner. It doesn't really matter that you've got a trade - not many Aussie companies are going to give you a job if you're heading off again in a couple of weeks. They will always favour people who can stay for 6 months plus (which you can't on a WHV). Everything is so expensive here that by the time you've taken off accommodation, food, drinks etc, you won't be left with much to spend on all the trips and tours you want to do. For instance - to stay in the cheapest hostel in Broome in a private room is $60 a night. If you get a job here and work 6 hours a day (full time jobs seem to be quite rare) at the standard wage of $20 a day, after the good old foreigner's rate of tax, you'll be left with $81...leaving you a whopping $21 to feed yourself (a six pack of beer is $18, a burger and chips will set you back $16).

For mining work you will need a lot of licences to be considered. These include induction courses, health and safety courses inc first aid, driving licence, working at heights, working in confined spaces...the list is endless and will change from mine to mine and from job to job. You will need to spend months and thousands of dollars in most cases to be eligible. Again, if you plan to move round the country, it's unlikely a mine will hire you, a short term worker, over an Aussie.

The best way to do seasonal work is to get on a station or do some other live-in work. That way you'll receive free food and accommodation in most cases, so it's not costing you anything, and in return you'll get a basic wage ($350 - $700 per week). You can save up a bit of cash doing it that way and then get them to sign off your visa paperwork afterwards (CHECK that the work qualifies under 2nd yr visa rules BEFOREHAND!).

To summarise - a WHV will enable you to get a variety of short term, mostly low paid jobs to keep yourself going and travelling round Oz. In most cases, you won't be able to earn what you were in the UK, or do the job you were doing. You will be up against a lot of competition from fellow backpackers, particularly in big cities, but you should be able to get something, especially in the dry season when there are lots of tourists around and employers need extra help. But definitely a good idea to save up big time before you leave!!

How on earth have you budgeted? Im getting $20ish an hour, been offered full time work, only till jan mind, but still earning $500 or so a week, after tax(and saving $200 a week whilst drinking a bit too much!). Hostel was only $180ish a week MAX for a nice one. You've obviously been ripped off in your work! I'm not even a trained chef and they offered me full time. It all depends on how much you're willing to work and if you want to stay. I had about 5 places call me up in the space of a few days after applying for maybe 12 jobs or so on seek. And I stated I was on the working holiday in my covering letter. Im pretty sure if you've got a trade, according to some of the people I met in the hostel I stayed at that it's easy to find work if you are willing to work. IF you're not willing to work they won't hire you.

A lot depends on the sort of work you do I'm an accountant and was over in Australia on a working holiday visa last year and managed to secure a two month contract in Adelaide and another four month contract in Melbourne that was paying market rate. I agree the visa does get queried and certainly doesn't help with securing work but if you are genuinely going to see out a contract you might get lucky.

Ok thanks for all the advice. Getting a rental camper van would be really good, I will have to look into that. I have heard from lots of people that the pay is quite good, my friend who travelled oz, worked in demolition & got paid $30 an hour & has given me lots of contact numbers. He said the money is really good & he saved lots. I am willing to work doing anything, I do not necessarily want to do what I do at home as that will not feel like I am away. I want to do farming etc but I will do whatever I can.

Maybe I should just plan to stay in the places I want to work for a decent amount of time so that I am more employable.

How on earth have you budgeted? Im getting $20ish an hour, been offered full time work, only till jan mind, but still earning $500 or so a week, after tax(and saving $200 a week whilst drinking a bit too much!). Hostel was only $180ish a week MAX for a nice one. You've obviously been ripped off in your work! I'm not even a trained chef and they offered me full time. It all depends on how much you're willing to work and if you want to stay. I had about 5 places call me up in the space of a few days after applying for maybe 12 jobs or so on seek. And I stated I was on the working holiday in my covering letter. Im pretty sure if you've got a trade, according to some of the people I met in the hostel I stayed at that it's easy to find work if you are willing to work. IF you're not willing to work they won't hire you.

Depends where you are. In Broome (as mentioned in OP's plans), hostels are expensive because it's not a backpackers' town. You can probably find cheaper rooms (maybe $25) but you may have to share with 6-12 other people - depends whether you think that's a good option if you're working here at the same time (people coming and going at all hours, having to look after you stuff). As there aren't many backpackers, finding cheap meals and drinks is more difficult. Maybe it's different in the dry season, but now in Broome there are only a couple of jobs going for backpackers. You could potentially get tradie work if willing to travel, had a car, abn and own tools etc and were prepared to commit for a while, otherwise we've found in Broome it's hospitality jobs or the odd one off work.

Sorry about about that pressed enter before writing it all opps!

So Top half of oz - May-October

Bottom half of oz - October to May.

Best way to travel oz is by camper van for sure, you get to see the best sites, dont have a time limit as such and the cheapest way. Me and my partner did it this way and saw the best things, met the best people and can do it cheaply. Now i think you are traveling on you own??

If so its best to look in hostels for people that have extra room in thier camper vans, plenty of people willing to do this - cheaper for them and good to get extra company on the long drives!

There are plenty of free parking/camping areas all around ozzie to stay at, which makes life soo much cheaper, these are few and far between in towns but once you get out of towns then can stay for free in many amazing places. For this get the camps 6 book (the backpackers bible) tells you all the free places to stay and maps to get around soo easy!

You dont really need a lot of money in west ozzie as most of the attractions are free. However when going over to the East this is where you spend a fair bit of money, attractions cost (unless you go inland a bit to the beautiful National Parks) and there is a lot more party atmosphere, making you spend more on the alcohol (which is expensive)!

If you really want a job then you will work hard enough to find one earning av $20-$25 hr over in west, in east you will not be looking at such money(so I would say try get a job over here, save so much more) There are employment agency's all around oz that help you find short terms jobs, which suits backpackers!

If you work for your second year visa make the the place has got a qualified ABN number and as far as I know if they have that then you are more or less guaranteed your second year.

Sorry but cant help you for NZ haven't made it there as of yet, but defos do get over there as I have heard form many many people thats it is just stunning (and seen many pics).

Oz is expensive but if you are carefull you can make your money last e.g drinking cheaply, dont eat out much, travel the cheapest way possible (camper van!), when working work work work as many hours as you can in short space of time then enjoy what you have earnt!