How much this Christmas

Guest The Pom Queen

I'm must excel at being a cheapskate then :cute:

We have the same £10 Christmas tree we've had the past 6 years. Got it half price and pull it out of the box every year and pop it up on the table. Its less than 3ft tall but looks lovely. Decorations are minimal and usually consist of holly cut from out in the hedgerow and pine cones I've picked up and dried off. And a few other bits from the box in the loft. We dont use lights on the tree, its too small and would look awful if lit.

I make presents for some people. Usually a batch of biscuits in a nice wrapped bag with ribbon. This year I plan to make some brownies for friends and son's teacher and TA etc. Hand them out and all sorted. They keep for up to two weeks if well packaged so will last.

Reuse old cards to make labels. Works like a charm and keeps son busy cutting them all out for an afternoon!

As for food, we don't really drink so not an issue. We don't buy turkey. Leg of lamb for Christmas day usually now which I then turn leftovers into a lamb curry. One year I even did a big sweet chilli rather than a roast dinner. None of us eat Christmas cake or anything like that. Not even really fans of mince pies in this house :unsure: Christmas pud is the only pud we like.

Present wise we'll go on the traditional second hand store shop to find the naffest/silliest/weirdest or simply the best present for each other that we can. For a maximum of £10. Love this part of Christmas as its fun to shop for something for hubby to leave him in awe or boggle. The best find was an old mint condition Top Gear annual with all these cut out cars to make.

We also make sure to get out for a hike on Christmas day if we can rather than sit indoors or not go far. Used to actually spend the day on Dartmoor till I moved away. Loved that.

This year we are not spending masses. I think hubby and I have said a small present each and that is it. Son has some goodies but nothing over £10 so far. He won't care, so long as he has some bug books and Lego he'll be happy. Although I'd love to sneak hubby an iPad mini but can't afford it atm (had to just buy a new car as old one died on us).

My one spend is some photobooks for grandparents this year. Not cheap at £25 a pop but worth it for them :)

I say that every year and always spend a bit more than i wanted but seriously not spending much this year. Ive got too many family birthdays just before xmas. The only person im excited about buying a present for is my cousins little baby when its born - who's due date is tomorrow and better not be late!! saw so many cute little outfits!

My son revealed last night that he wants the Saturn V rocket that we saw at Scienceworks recently. I told him that at $399, we couldnt possibly afford it. To which he replied, "maybe Santa could afford it?".

Anyone know where you get a 5ft tall perfect scale working model of Apollo 11 for less than $50?

My son revealed last night that he wants the Saturn V rocket that we saw at Scienceworks recently. I told him that at $399, we couldnt possibly afford it. To which he replied, "maybe Santa could afford it?".

Anyone know where you get a 5ft tall perfect scale working model of Apollo 11 for less than $50?

Top Dollar/Hot Bargain/Whatever your local Chinese tat shop is called

Ask Santa, he might be able to point you in the right direction.

I have £500 aside already, so that will go, plus now the missus is working I know she will use most of what she earns over the next 2 months on presents. I would say, for 3 of us, plus a few presents for the nieces and nephew, and the parents, along with Xmas dinner, we are hosting the cousins this year, probably somewhere around the 600 mark