How much this Christmas

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

I'm sure we had a thread like this last year but I can't remember how much people spend. We have always gone silly but this year we are clamping down.

It says here the average family spend £478.50 that's on everything, so I'm going to try and keep mine below a $1,500 this year. It's just that if you gave the kids $100 it goes know where in fact it would only just buy them a game. I think my middle son is worse, a couple of years ago we bought him a mac book, now every year he expects the same kind of money, where as my eldest wouldn't care one bit if I didn't buy him anything, he knows we struggle at times and has always worried about me spending. The youngest just wants a geologist pic for his stones.

BRITISH families will spend an average £478.50 on Christmas this year - down five per cent on last year, a new study found.

The recession has forced cash-strapped households to cut back on the festivities.

Over a third of parents - 36 per cent - will spend less on presents for friends and family and one in five - 19 per cent - will not even give their partner a gift.

And these kind-hearted mums and dads will forgo their own presents to ensure they can still give their children a great Christmas.

A quarter of families (24 per cent) will reduce travelling to see friends and relatives in a bid to save on fuel.

And one in seven, 15 per cent, will not send any Christmas cards this year, the study by supermarket Morrisons found.

Furthermore, a fifth of families will cut back on treats such as chocolate boxes and biscuits, in a bid to reduce their festive outgoings.

In total, the cutbacks will save families 28 pounds compared with last year, the study of 2,005 parents found.

Shop worker Jo Taylor, from Portsmouth, Hants, said she will make cutbacks this Christmas but try to ensure they do not impact on her two sons, aged four and seven.

The 34-year-old said: ““I don’t want my boys to miss out so we’ll make cuts on things they are unlikely to notice, such as cards to friends and gifts for my husband and me.

“I’m sure it will be possible to enjoy Christmas dinner without spending a fortune.”

How it adds up

Christmas Day Meal £48.30

Food snacks and treats £52.40

Drink £47

Presents and stockings for family £162.30

Presents and stockings for friends £48.60

Crackers, wrapping paper, Christmas cards £25.30

Decorations and Christmas tree £29.50

Petrol and other travel £31.90

Entertaining guests £33.20

Total £478.50

We always spend too much on our two

Daughter needed new Ultrabook for Uni so she's got her's early this year but we got a great deal though at just over $1,000

Sons wanting a new graphics card for his gaming rig

That's around the $600 mark

Few bits and pieces and it'll be $2,000 on prezzies easily

After that it'll be just a bit more than normal shopping as it'll be just the four of us

We have had a lot of extra outgoings the last few months plus rates, house insurance, school fees etc etc all up so this year was going to be nothing extravagant.

And then the new GoPro hero 3 black just got released :yes: Bugger !!!!!! The xmas budget just got blown yet again. :)

I am trying to teach my kids not to buy into commercial debt. We are not religious so with Christmas we try to buy just a few goodies so we are not seen as the Grinch !

The kids send extra to their child sponsors, hoping this gives them the feeling that giving is better than receiving.

I have found lots of ways to have a good day with out breaking the bank, make your own crackers, bake your own cakes.

Will be using the same tree as every year, which is like a twig with lights :embarrassed:

I did buy all my xmas decorations to decorate the jeep this year at a car boot sale, so for $10.00 it will look real tacky!!!

Awesome :)

just need to work out if I can mount a tree somewhere this year. The old Hi-lux didnt have the xmas-tree mounting option.

We normally have one big family present, last year it was our Bulldog x puppy, the year before a holiday etc etc and fingers crossed this year it will be another pup, if i can find a suitable one in time.. The kids then get one decent pressie each (daughter wants a laptop, i havent a clue about my lad who is now 14) and stocking fillers. Christmas is always a dear do and i am cutting back on stocking fillers this year, the kids just dont need as much now theyre older.

Cal x

We put $100 a month aside for it and will spend that on stuff we do/buy as a family. So pretty much exactly $1200. $200 on cards, packaging, wrapping, posting, about $200 on Xmas period food & booze over and above normal spend and $800 on presents for various people. You can probably add $200 each on top of that for presents we buy each other so $1600 all in. I think that's quite modest, we don't go over the top with presents

Most people massively underestimate what it costs them IME. In the same way most people massively underestimate their motoring costs, I don't know why these two things seem to go like that but that's my observation. Not accounting for cards, wrapping and posting is a big one but that soon adds up

Edited by northshorepom

Guest The Pom Queen
I did buy all my xmas decorations to decorate the jeep this year at a car boot sale, so for $10.00 it will look real tacky!!!

Awesome :)

just need to work out if I can mount a tree somewhere this year. The old Hi-lux didnt have the xmas-tree mounting option.

:wub: So the kids get no presents but the car will look good :laugh: men, always have their priorities..... Wrong lol

My daughter is getting a new phone (only thing she's asked for), My son is getting a tablet (and crossed items off his list to put this on), I do love that my children have never been 'greedy' or wrote extensive lists (usually just 2 or 3 things). As they've got older it's got harder to buy them things. They will of course get a few more gifts. We have some expense after Xmas, my son will need a new guitar for when he starts HS and my daughter is 18 in Feb and our gift will be a lap top for when she goes to Uni (hopefully).

My Christmas card list has reduced quite considerably over the last couple of year, dinner this year is just the 4 or us (our friends who come over Boxing day will be in the UK). Hubby and I tend to let the kids buy us a gift and don't usually buy each other.

IO can't drive at the moment - so saving on petrol and doing internet shopping

:wub: So the kids get no presents but the car will look good :laugh: men, always have their priorities..... Wrong lol

They get the opportunity to drive around in an awesomely tacky looking car. That is a fab pressy IMO.

Sent from my iPhone because my kids are on MY laptop again.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We spent a small fortune on the kids last year, we bought them a number of minor presents, but the big present was an iPad each, inscribed with a message on it, which Apple do if you order straight from them. This year we haven't got a clue what to get them, they both have everything really, phones, laptops, plasma tv in their room, X box, etc. So we are struggling to know what to get them. My son went skiing in February with his school and there was a few spaces again this year, so he begged us to let him go again, so we said yes and the £800 payment has to be paid round about Christmas, so he won't get as much this year. My little girl will be difficult to buy, we can't think of anything, but both are getting to the age where we can give them money, but we love them opening presents on Christmas Day. Both kids are brilliant, funny, happy, never a problem, they are not spoilt brats, they appreciate everything and know they are lucky.

Our kids (adults) are very independent and have always actively discouraged our attempts to ease their financial way in life even though we could easily afford to. However, they know I LOVE Christmas and it is the one time each year they let us spoil them.

As a result we spend lavishly and joyfully at Christmas and enjoy every last minute of it.

Me and the wife:

$500-1000k on presents between us. But we save up wants and needs through the year so I am expecting things like a new hose pipe. Probably just one good treat each.

My adult son in the UK: A present of about $100

Cards and things to other people : :$50

Dinner and treats: $500 but that will last us a fair while after

Guest guest17301

The more you give..the more they expect..is that really what we want our kids to think Xmas is about??I do try and keep costs down if possible and 1 expensive gift each is the rule..I think thats too much tbh...we spend about $250 per child...so much peer pressure..the latest everything..iphones for 8 year olds...plasma tellies in bedrooms.....where does it end?? It's a real shame and I'm ashamed of myself for getting as sucked in as I do!

Much easier to save in Australia, dinner for 4, any parties, bring a plate and bottle...sorted!

Hubby and I don't give presents to each other, never have done. Neither of us are the slightest bit interested in presents, and would just rather that we can have the odd treat through the year. Eldest daughter has asked for a microscope, so I will probably get her a good one that will last. I was also thinking of getting her a chemistry set of some sort and of course books which she loves. Youngest, haven't a clue. She is much more 'Pretty Princesses' than eldest, so probably dressing up things, plus some books and some things for school (she starts school in Feb so will need a pencil case etc). We don't spend a huge amount, I don't feel that it is necessary. The important thing for me is that they enjoy what they receive and that we get to spend a day together.

I reckon about $2000 including presents, Christmas Day food, New Years Eve food. That's 8 grandchildren, immediate family and big kris kringle . Our turn to have 'em all this year and we always do NYear but usually only 8 or 10 people for that one. Sometimes I buy stupid things like new tablecloths and extra decorations, more Christmas lights ( as if I needed any!)

That's like Pam and I we spend it all on kids

For us it is that we would rather spread it out over the year. If hubby is reading a series of books (for example) I like to surprise him with the next book. Things like that. We go for the odd weekend away (with the kids of course) and would rather do things like that.

For us it is that we would rather spread it out over the year. If hubby is reading a series of books (for example) I like to surprise him with the next book. Things like that. We go for the odd weekend away (with the kids of course) and would rather do things like that.

Wow that's what we do

Hi All

For us, having three little darlings (although not so little anymorea), we gave them a choice when they were old enough to decide. Special pressies for birthday or Christmas. They all chose to have their special pressie on their birthday, at least that way the cost is spread throughout the year. Even the OH and I do the same thing. So it will be little pressies on the big day and the enjoyment of having everyone together, except my eldest brother who will be in Perth by then.

Guest TheArmChairDetective
nothing at this rate, gotta buy things for the house :S hopefully everyone will understand, i'd like to get paul a little something though.

this could be misconstrued :biggrin: