BeckyLangford

Applied for 820 omshore partner visa in Brisbane

so i applied for my 820 partner visa on the 31st October in Brisbane in person and I was wondering if anyone else had lodged their application there in person recently too? If so how was your experience? I front loaded my application so hopefully it gets dealt with quicker? Also wanted to know how long it took for your application to get acknowledged? Since my working holiday visa expires the 25th of this month, Im hoping my bridging visa will be done by then and I know it wont until the application has been ackowledged? Also, for people wanting to apply in Brisbane in person in the future, make an appointment! I didnt realise you could because it didnt say anything about it on the immigration website and when i got there i was told i was supposed to have made an appointment, but fortunatly it was pretty much empty so they could just see me straight away...

so i applied for my 820 partner visa on the 31st October in Brisbane in person and I was wondering if anyone else had lodged their application there in person recently too? If so how was your experience? I front loaded my application so hopefully it gets dealt with quicker? Also wanted to know how long it took for your application to get acknowledged? Since my working holiday visa expires the 25th of this month, Im hoping my bridging visa will be done by then and I know it wont until the application has been ackowledged? Also, for people wanting to apply in Brisbane in person in the future, make an appointment! I didnt realise you could because it didnt say anything about it on the immigration website and when i got there i was told i was supposed to have made an appointment, but fortunatly it was pretty much empty so they could just see me straight away...

Hi

I have applied for an onshore 820 also i came to SA on a tourist visa (12weeks) and the application went in on the 21st September the 12 week visa ran out on the 5th October, i was informed and i have also been told by the immigration department that i am now on a type A bridging visa until the 820 is finalized, my application was sent to Perth as this is the office for spouse visa. I also have to apply for the bridging visa conditions to be changed as i cannot work and i need to work now the money is tight, this is also another cost. the spouse/partner visa is taking approx 8 months they are behind.

Ugh all these extra costs!! Makes me wonder wat the hell the 3000 dollrs is for when we have to pay for police checks medicals etc seperatly!!!! How long did it take for you to receive your ackowledgement letter?

Hi, i applied for my 820 at brisbane too although i posted it, back in March. i still hadnt recieved an acknoledgement letter in june so i gave them a call and found out they wrote my email address wrong! They decided to grant it me there and then! Hopefully you get a quick decision :)

8/3/11: PMV lodged, 10/3/11: money taken, 15/3/11: CO assigned, 11/4/11: medicals, ..............2/8/11 PMV Visa Granted!!!

28/3/12: 820 lodged, 2/4/12: money taken.............27/6/12: 820 Temp Visa Granted :smile:

Ugh all these extra costs!! Makes me wonder wat the hell the 3000 dollrs is for when we have to pay for police checks medicals etc seperatly!!!! How long did it take for you to receive your ackowledgement letter?

Hi

I chose to use a migration agent to do mine however i had to contact him to see if we had heard anything he told me he had received an acknowledgment letter and a receipt but not when, i need to work and i got no reply from the agent when i asked about working and how desperate i am to work, so i contacted the immigration office to find that the application had been in for 6 weeks and to use a form 1005 to change the application conditions to be able to work but at a cost. they are saying its taking approx 8 months, i don't know if the onshore is quicker than the offshore

Onshore partner visas take longer than Offshore, but have seen sometimes partner visas been granted quickly, but now waiting times for the onshore is about 13 months and offshore is now about 9 months. This is due to set number of visas that can be granted each month.

Remember it is the date that you lodged your application that is counted for the waiting time between TR and PR partner visas, not when the TR visa is granted. All the time that you have waited onshore will also be counted towards you citizenship.

Onshore partner visa applications are increasing on 1 Jan 2013 to $4000.

If you applied in person, did you not get the paperwork then and there? i.e. receipt, details of bridging visa, and the letter to take to medicare for the interim card?

Wow $4000?! Thats just ridiculous considering all the other costs involved!

No all I got was my receipt, she said they would send all that other stuff when theyve ackowledged my application.. But that was today! I got an email saying my application is currently being reviewed and all the info ofmy bridging visa, they said it takes upto 14 working days to get that, but mine only took 2 working days! So hopefully theyre not slack in granting my visa.. Ill keep you all posted though!

Hello! I lodged on 6 Aug in Brisbane and got my acknowledgement letteron the spot so I'm surprised that you didn't. Plus I didn't make an appointment (and was told I didn't have to which was why I rocked up :P) and waiting time to be attended to was very short - about 10 mins? And no, lodging in person doesn't make it quicker after all. I have been told by the lodgement clerk that processing time is now 13 months and that was double confirmed when I called DIAC on another matter just last week and this lady said it's 15 months! Also one of the migration agents in this forum mentioned that having a decision-ready application doesn't matter now because they just have too much back-log to deal with.

Hello! I lodged on 6 Aug in Brisbane and got my acknowledgement letteron the spot so I'm surprised that you didn't. Plus I didn't make an appointment (and was told I didn't have to which was why I rocked up :P) and waiting time to be attended to was very short - about 10 mins? And no, lodging in person doesn't make it quicker after all. I have been told by the lodgement clerk that processing time is now 13 months and that was double confirmed when I called DIAC on another matter just last week and this lady said it's 15 months! Also one of the migration agents in this forum mentioned that having a decision-ready application doesn't matter now because they just have too much back-log to deal with.

Really?? Maybe I got someone who doesnt really know much? But yeh when I got there, there were heaps of signs saying for the partner visa you have to make appointment.. Maybe theyve just recent enforced this because they get too busy? I was only there about 10 mins too, got seen straight away.. All she did was ask if ive got everything, took my payment amd stamped the 40sp and 47sp forms.. She asked me what all the evidence was, because my application was so big cause i out heaps of photos and cards to and from each other and from family for the both of us.. She said they dont usually like the application to be so big, but i wasnt gonna take anything out cause after all, shes just a receptionist amd i didnt wanna take her advice for them to say they dont have enough evidence then i gotta mess around sending more stuff to them.. I also got told that if i waited till the next day (which wouldve been 1st november) that my application wouldnt be any good cause the forms were changing on the 1st and the fees were goin up, but after researching on the immigration website all that stuffisnt happening until january!! So i guess the people at the brisbane office arent too knowledgeable, even though its their jobs!!!!!!

Well it sure sounds to me like there's a storm of applications coming in the last few months...yeah you're probably right. There must be heaps of applications after 1 July. There definitely weren't any make-an-appointment signs around when I was there in Aug, and the clerk who attended to me was very nice. Printed out my letter, explained the main details to me, even swung her computer screen around so that I could see that I have a bridging visa lined up after my tourist visa! The DIAC staff can get a little confused. Just not long ago I posted about getting a conflicting email about my migration status and very nearly thought it was about my visa approval until I realised it was about my work rights and the officer just wasn't too careful when editing his template!

Its not really fair on us though! At the end of the day its their jobs to be update with everything thats happening so as not to confuse us, the people who are paying all of this money to stay here!

Im dreading having to wait upto 13 months aye! All ive been thinking about the past 3 years is visa visa visa, and since i got here november last year ive been preparing to make sure i get every little detail right with my application.. Im gonna be constantly checking my emails now every single day, i just cant wait for all this to be over so i can enjoy the rest of my life here in australia with my partner!! Keep me updated on your application, seeing as you applied at the same office and around the same time.. Good luck!!! :biggrin:

I think your journey's coming to an end! Mine just started 3 months ago..I still have 10 months of waiting time =X And yes I was in a very similar situation to yours. I started researching about my visa options since 2008 when my relationship just started! Even though I had to give up a lot back home - nice cushy job, best gal pals - I don't regret it too much! Love the fact that I'm with my partner now, even though finding a job is a toughie. I'll keep you in the loop for sure, though I really don't expect to hear anything from DIAC till 10 months later. But your journey's ending so I hope to hear some good news on your end soon :)

No i only applied last week lol! Ive just been here since november last year, I came on a working holiday visa.. ive only just got a job a couple of weeks ago too, was so tough finding a job! Where in aus are you?

Hi everyone. Just thought i would update you on my visa.. It got granted today!! Very happy!! So in total it took almost 4 months!!! Yay! :D

Hi everyone. Just thought i would update you on my visa.. It got granted today!! Very happy!! So in total it took almost 4 months!!! Yay! :D

Awesome, what a quick grant!! I thought you'd be waiting for more than a year, considering you applied in Brisbane.... :)

Guest GeorgeD

COngratulations!

Every now and again a random application pops out mcuh quicker than the published timescale. There's no trick to it unfortunately for the others waiting, but good for you being the lucky one!