many jobs about (trades)

y not

Hi I am going to Adelaide, in 14wk 2 days and counting, to have a good look around, and make my mind up once and for all. To see if it is worth all the hassle and expense. Just a bit worried about jobs, im a qualified bricklayer by trade, but have been doing building maintenace for the past 7 yrs, plastering, windows, tiling, plumbing, ect, and find myself more at home doing that. Is there much call for a maintenance man in austraila who can do most trades, but i haven't got papers to back it up? Any bricklayer in SA? is there much work down there, not much on the job sites.

Edited by y not
spelling

Hi

My OH is a bricklayer and has traded well while we have been over here (7yrs) but the last 12 mths have been terrible..... due to a recent op he is now changing careers which at the moment is a good thing, there is just no work around and with christmas just around the corner things are not looking good :0( from about the first wk of december til at least the end of january the building companys will close down for the holidays..... most of the tradies we know have little or no work at the moment..sorry to give you bad news but its just whats happening in adelaide now and u never know in 14wks things may change :0)

Sorry again

Jo

Hi I am going to Adelaide, in 14wk 2 days and counting, to have a good look around, and make my mind up once and for all. To see if it is worth all the hassle and expense. Just a bit worried about jobs, im a qualified bricklayer by trade, but have been doing building maintenace for the past 7 yrs, plastering, windows, tiling, plumbing, ect, and find myself more at home doing that. Is there much call for a maintenance man in austraila who can do most trades, but i haven't got papers to back it up? Any bricklayer in SA? is there much work down there, not much on the job sites.

Hi

you will find you will need to do a course for everything you do if you have no papers to back it up, any qualifications need to be assessed by TAFE and may not be recognized, my husband is a bricklayer by trade he can also plaster, tile, worked on tarmac for notts council for 8 years we've been here 4 months and he has not found any work at all, work for tradies is very poor in Adelaide or you have to do courses taking your money when your probably more qualified than those teaching the course.

you will need a white card to get a job anyway you will not be employable without that its only $100 do not do it online though.

Why are you coming to Adelaide can you not take your trade to another state in OZ??? there are so many tradies out of work and have families its a case of who you know not what you know here and everyone will tell you that, they also make tradies redundant after 3 months too it seems to be a thing they do in companies here.

so i would say from first hand experience and from many others do not come to SA

Guest katie007

Why are you coming to Adelaide can you not take your trade to another state in OZ??? there are so many tradies out of work and have families its a case of who you know not what you know here and everyone will tell you that, they also make tradies redundant after 3 months too it seems to be a thing they do in companies here.

so i would say from first hand experience and from many others do not come to SA

Ditto.

Many think OZ is awash for work, well put and YES the Bush Telegraph is alive and if you are not plugged into this you will find it hard to gain Tradies work.

• 1 month later...