Problems Getting Permanent Job when on an 820 Partner Visa

Auspom 246

Hi I moved to Australia in 2011 and I am on an 820 visa which we hope will become permanent in July 2013. I am having problems finding a job, in England I worked as Business Bank Manager but I keep getting told that I can't get a job with a bank as I don't have a permanent visa. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I have had a couple of temporary contracts in Customer Service but nothing permanent.

I never had an issue i was actually offered a job before i moved over the phone and i wasnt even looking for work, the others ive spoken to on this visa havent had any issues either. We can work the same as anyone else, i just said i was on a spouse visa when they asked and i had full work rights, they looked it up online and was all good.

Maybe dont say its a temp visa, just say a spouse visa ?

Guest GeorgeD

Hi Auspom 246, and welcome to PIO!

When you say you hope it will become permanent in July 2013...are you including the processing time? You become eligible for the 2nd stage PR 2 years from the date of your first application (not grant) I think the processing centres have different times and they can admittedly be a bit random. I have just been granted my second stage (SC100) and was told it would take 8-10 months from my eligibility date. In reality it took around 4.5 months at the Brisbane Processing Centre.

Going back to your original question...no, I didn't have any issues finding work on my SC309 Temp visa. In my CV I said I had a visa which had no limits on working. If they asked further I showed them the printout from the VEVO website which basically said I could remain indefinitely and had full working rights. Yes, it still said "Provisional" Resident, but I explained that I would be reassessed in 2 years and if my wife and I were still married then I would become permanent. Any prospective employer would have zero input, no forms to fill in etc. None of the companies and agencies I spoke to had any issues with my visa.

That said...there may be specific requirements in certain industries. I work in IT Sales, so nothing too sensitive. Many Government or Public Sector roles have requirements for citizenship or PR, but it hasn't caused me any issues. It may be simply that there are either regulations or standard practices in your industry which make it impossible...if you were to look at other industries you may not have the same issues. Granted, you want to work doing what you know, but if you really are hitting a brick wall in that industry, it may be time to broaden your horizons.

Hi George, thank you for the welcome :)

It could be that I have always been upfront and said that i am on a temporary visa until my permanent residence has been approved and that is what is causing the problem.

I think going forward I will do as hels suggested and say that I am on a partner visa with no working restrictions. Hopefully that will work for me.

I have been thinking of going back to customer service however every time I have an interview I am told that I am over qualified for the job and I don't get anywhere it is so frustrating.

Thank you for the advise I will use it with the telephone call i am expecting hopefully this one will be more open to the visa :D

I have the same issue.

I have recently been to an interview only to find that the job was only open to PR. In this instance it was because the company would receive government handouts for training.

This is often the case for jobsearch.gov.au Employers will receive handouts for employing unemployed people. Agencies work in the same way with large handouts for getting people of centre-link.

That's all well and good and I agree with getting people off centre-link.

But, what happens when are not entitled to centre-link and therefore are not entered into the job search system?

Stuck. Very pissed off.

I have the same issue.

I have recently been to an interview only to find that the job was only open to PR. In this instance it was because the company would receive government handouts for training.

This is often the case for jobsearch.gov.au Employers will receive handouts for employing unemployed people. Agencies work in the same way with large handouts for getting people of centre-link.

That's all well and good and I agree with getting people off centre-link.

But, what happens when are not entitled to centre-link and therefore are not entered into the job search system?

Stuck. Very pissed off.

Hi Ian303,

I stopped looking at government jobs as one of my friends works for them and she said that unless you are PR or citizen you wont get anywhere.

I know exactly how you feel which is why I have been doing temp work it doesn't help with super (pension) but at least you aren't sitting at home doing nothing which really annoys me.

Have you registered with seek.com.au and linkedin? they are pretty good both positions I have had have been from seek.

I wish you luck in your search.

Hi mate,

I am having the same issues. I fell lucky landing a casual role with nsw health which is. Government job, but there are no permanent positions as of yet for me to apply for so applied for other jobs and struggling to even get replies without residency.

Hoping to join NSW Police after I get my residency which should be in Jan 2013. Or I'm considering part time study to become a solicitor. Not sure yet, either way it's a hard slog to get there.

All we need is the chance, and I'm sure it's the same for you.

I'm based on the central coast jus an hour north of Sydney and hour south of Newcastle and can't find decent work at either.

Good luck though. I hope you get something soon.

• 4 years later...

Hi, my partner is currently on a 820 visa has has been struggling to get a job in WA. He came over to Australia from the UK on a working holiday visa and we currently have a 2 year old son together.He's being getting a couple of odd interview which go really well but then nothing. We can't figure out whether it's his visa or his resume, which he has also changed numerous times. My partner has been on his 820 visa since april 2016 and has been looking for a job for 9 months on this visa. Any tips or information would be great.

Thanks

Hi, my partner is currently on a 820 visa has has been struggling to get a job in WA. He came over to Australia from the UK on a working holiday visa and we currently have a 2 year old son together.He's being getting a couple of odd interview which go really well but then nothing. We can't figure out whether it's his visa or his resume, which he has also changed numerous times. My partner has been on his 820 visa since april 2016 and has been looking for a job for 9 months on this visa. Any tips or information would be great.

Thanks

Make sure that if he mentions he is on a temporary visa that he is very clear about which one. Many employers hear 'temporary visa' and think WHV or 457. He needs to make it clear that it is a Partner Visa which leads to PR.Make sure they know its not a temporary visa that will require him to leave the job and/or the country after a few months. My husband used to put 'Visa - 309 Partner Visa, awaiting PR grant' on his resume, its quite true, once the temp visa is applied for 309/820 then you have also applied for PR 100/801 and thus are awaiting its grant.

Edited by Nemesis

Thanks

Maybe more to do with the economy.

Thanks

How long had you been together when he got his visa in April? I am surprised he didn't go straight to the permanent visa.

Anyway suspect it is more the economy than the visa. As somebody mentioned make sure he is clear it is the partner visa.

Make sure that if he mentions he is on a temporary visa that he is very clear about which one. Many employers hear 'temporary visa' and think WHV or 457. He needs to make it clear that it is a Partner Visa which leads to PR.Make sure they know its not a temporary visa that will require him to leave the job and/or the country after a few months. My husband used to put 'Visa - 309 Partner Visa, awaiting PR grant' on his resume, its quite true, once the temp visa is applied for 309/820 then you have also applied for PR 100/801 and thus are awaiting its grant.

He's being putting that on his resume,cover letters and also when applying on a companies job site. He's currently changed his resume to "australianise" it with a section about his visa and his application for PR. He's also started applying for jobs in Perth, however the problem is we're in Geraldton 436 ks away so he's getting rejection after rejection. Fingers crossed his new and improved CV works. Thanks for your tips

Kind Regards

How long had you been together when he got his visa in April? I am surprised he didn't go straight to the permanent visa.

Anyway suspect it is more the economy than the visa. As somebody mentioned make sure he is clear it is the partner visa.

We've been together nearly 3 years and have been living together for 2 years. I thought it was the economy, however my brother in law has ( my partners brother) has just came back over to OZ on a prospective marriage visa and has got a job doing mill relining.

He's being putting that on his resume,cover letters and also when applying on a companies job site. He's currently changed his resume to "australianise" it with a section about his visa and his application for PR. He's also started applying for jobs in Perth, however the problem is we're in Geraldton 436 ks away so he's getting rejection after rejection. Fingers crossed his new and improved CV works. Thanks for your tips

Kind Regards

Perhaps that is a bit OTT. Drawing too much attention to visa status, I would keep it much simpler.

We've been together nearly 3 years and have been living together for 2 years. I thought it was the economy, however my brother in law has ( my partners brother) has just came back over to OZ on a prospective marriage visa and has got a job doing mill relining.

Well the PMV is also a temporary visa. It sounds like location could be adding to the issue. Or maybe hes just not been lucky so far.

Perhaps that is a bit OTT. Drawing too much attention to visa status, I would keep it much simpler.

Well the PMV is also a temporary visa. It sounds like location could be adding to the issue. Or maybe hes just not been lucky so far.

If he is applying for jobs in Perth and is not actually resident in the area this could also be going against him. If there are people local who can be gotten in for interview who fit the job description and have a decent CV I am not sure many employers will go for someone living hours away.

Also as has been said, just say partner visa with working rights held. I'm figuring full work rights are held on this visa as they generally are. Don't call it a temp visa or anything. If they don't ask about it, why worry to bring it up.