At the risk of sounding negative..

Guest stuckinblighty

Guest stuckinblighty

I've heard that burglary is very common in Aus.Is it a major problem?i've been told its a major issue in all the big cities,especially Perth !?!?) I just dont like the thought of leaving your house and not knowing its going to be ok :cry:

regards,Lee

Guest Nelson

It's a major issue here :!: If you live in a major city and have never been burgled, believe me, you're very lucky :!: :!:

Guest ABCDiamond

I moved to Australia in 1986, and the house I was living in at that time was burgled. That was Sydney inner city.

In the UK I had 2 instances in 37 years, and I've had just that 1 here in a total of 16 years. Pretty similar experiences for me.

You can check WA crime in individual suburbs here: http://www.police.wa.gov.au/AboutUs/AboutUs.asp?SearchCrimeStatistics

I have heard people say that we all have security screens on our windows due to crime, but the real reason for them is because so many people leave their windows open during the summer 24 hours a day, even when we are out. We need the security as a precaution to stop temptation with the open windows.

Some figures from the ABS are:

There were 7,479,200 households in Australia in April 2002. In the 12 months prior to the survey it is estimated that:

354,000 (4.7%) households were victims of at least one break-in to their home, garage or shed

I just checked the link for the above, and it has been updated with

There were 7,855,600 households in Australia in April 2005. In the 12 months prior to the survey it was estimated that:

259,800 (3.3%) households were victims of at least one break-in to their home, garage or shed

Guest stuckinblighty

The only reason i raised this thread is because the people who warned me of the problem are ex-pats who live in Aus (one in sydney and the other lives in Perth) The person in perth is actually coming back to the uk and blames the crime rate there as one of the reasons for coming back :shock: Dont know what they expect from criminals over here :shock:

regards,Lee

Guest ABCDiamond
The only reason i raised this thread is because the people who warned me of the problem are ex-pats who live in Aus (one in sydney and the other lives in Perth) The person in perth is actually coming back to the uk and blames the crime rate there as one of the reasons for coming back :shock: Dont know what they expect from criminals over here :shock:

regards,Lee

It is very difficult two compare the to countries, as it depends very much on individual areas. eg: If someone from Sussex, which I believe has a very low burglary rate, moves to Inner Sydney, then Yes, I would imagine that they would notice a big difference.

A newspaper quote says "Sydney crime rates are Australia's worst"

I've just googled the UK and found "The Manchester average is 579 domestic burglaries per 10, 000 households'

That is 5.8%, so with the Australia average of 3.3% they would experience oly about half "their" local UK rate, IF they picked the RIGHT area here.

Guest Phil Olsen

Hi

I have lived in Perth for 10 years. The one reason I came here is that it is relatively safe. I find it very safe. Its like anywhere, you get the good and bad areas, but generally I find the city and surrounds very safe. I have 2 children and there is no way I would come back to the UK (we left because we felt unsafe for them).

Burglaries - I don't find it an issue at all - never been burgled.

Phil

Guest ABCDiamond

Here is a quote from one of the Police web sites:

Research suggests that most burglaries are preventable by taking a number of common sense home security measures.

Burglaries are often crimes of opportunity. Most intruders are looking for, and often find, a house left open or unlocked, making it easy for them to get what they can with ease and make a quick getaway

and another

Always lock up. Don't overlook the obvious. Doors and windows should be locked, not only when you leave the house but when you are elsewhere in the house, on the phone, in the garden, or otherwise preoccupied, away from points of entry

Some statistics quote 34% not using door locks when they should, and 38% not using window locks when they should.

Some people are too trusting, until it's too late.

Guest choobs

One of the main reasons we have for leaving the UK is the overall feeling of unsafeness. For example, during the wintertime, a group of kids - 15-16 years old - started throwing snowballs at me on the way back from the shops. I just laughed it off and said their aim was rubbish, at which point one of them came right up to me and threw one as hard as he could. I pointed out that, good naturedly, that hitting a stationary target at three feet away was hardly evidence of decent aim - at which point he pulled a knife. Over a snowball fight.

Thing is, we don't live in a particularly bad area.

I want to be able to have a laugh in the street without having to worry about being stabbed over it.

I'm not saying that doesn't happen in Oz, but Britain seems to have a problem with feral kids these days.

Cheers

Choobs

Guest Gollywobbler
I moved to Australia in 1986, and the house I was living in at that time was burgled. That was Sydney inner city.

In the UK I had 2 instances in 37 years, and I've had just that 1 here in a total of 16 years. Pretty similar experiences for me.

You can check WA crime in individual suburbs here: http://www.police.wa.gov.au/AboutUs/AboutUs.asp?SearchCrimeStatistics

I have heard people say that we all have security screens on our windows due to crime, but the real reason for them is because so many people leave their windows open during the summer 24 hours a day, even when we are out. We need the security as a precaution to stop temptation with the open windows.

Some figures from the ABS are:

There were 7,479,200 households in Australia in April 2002. In the 12 months prior to the survey it is estimated that:

354,000 (4.7%) households were victims of at least one break-in to their home, garage or shed

I just checked the link for the above, and it has been updated with

There were 7,855,600 households in Australia in April 2005. In the 12 months prior to the survey it was estimated that:

259,800 (3.3%) households were victims of at least one break-in to their home, garage or shed

Hi all

Hmmm. My sister has security-screens, fly-screens and a burglar alarm. In addition, she and Hubby have a house-dog that lives in the house, plus a couple of outdoor guard-dogs that live in a kennel outside. The guard-dogs are no-nonsense animals. I was told not to try to pet them unless my bro-in-law or sister were with me. Not stranger-friendly, these two beasts, it would seem.

But it does work. No self-respecting burglar would risk it with those two dogs roaming around, I can assure you! Whatever I might think about guard dogs (basically non-approval) they have never been burgled, so I guess the solution speaks for itself.

Gill

Guest scoop

Hi Gill

Does your sister have to have special licences for all her animals in Perth.

Thanks

SCoop

x

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill

Does your sister have to have special licences for all her animals in Perth.

Thanks

SCoop

x

Hi Scoop

I rang my sister earlier to find out for you. I've not been there for 5 years, and although I'm sure she and Mum do tell me about all of Elaine's animals, I don't listen!

Elaine lives in Jandakot, which is a suburb South of Freo. She says all dogs haveto be licenced by the local council. Her local council only allows 2 dogs per household, so they couldn't get the housedog until after one of the guard dogs died of old age. The idea of the housedog - originally - was that he is a beagle foxhound. A fox had killed a couple of Elaine's hens, so she thought the beagle would keep the foxes at bay. She says he is such a soppy brute that he wouldn't do anything with a fox except try to make friends with it, so they moved him into the house where he now lives in the lap of luxury! Some dog!

She says that some councils are now introducing restrictions on the number of cats a household can have, but that her own council has not done this.

Apart from that, none of her other 'pets' (they're all pets to her and she loves them to bits) need licences. What about her birds in the aviary? None of them are rare, exotic birds from another country. What about the newts? They are home-grown too. Has she got any other reptiles? No. In the UK, you need special licences for some tropical birds (eg African Grey Parrots) and also for some reptiles. Elaine says she doesn't know what the rules are in Oz because she's never had such creatures.

We talked about pets for kids generally. She says the guinea-pigs in Oz are quite hardy and make good pets, but that she would not recommend rabbits. When rabbits were first taken Australia they bred in their millions and ate all the crops. So myxomatosis was introduced deliberately, to control them. Very cruel, because it leads to a horrible death but rabbits are still considered to be vermin in Australia and cannot be innoculated against myxomatosis. Elaine said that she got a couple of rabbits for her kids at one stage, but they both caught myxomatosis and had to be put down, so she has given up on pet rabbits.

Hope this is of some use.

Gill

Guest scoop

Cheers for that Gill you're a trooper.

I have three dogs I intend to bring with me and I am aware I would need a special licence for the third just not sure how possible this is! Not to mention a rental when I first arrive!

Thanks again hun

SCoop

x

Guest Gollywobbler
Cheers for that Gill you're a trooper.

I have three dogs I intend to bring with me and I am aware I would need a special licence for the third just not sure how possible this is! Not to mention a rental when I first arrive!

Thanks again hun

SCoop

x

Hi Scoop

Do you want me to ask my sister to find out about a licence for your third dog? I'm sure she wouldn't mind doing so.

Manwhile, if you post your question on the site below, they might be able to answer you too:

http://www.thisperthlife.com/2006/06/bringing_your_p.html

Will PM you if I discover anything else.

Cheers

Gill

Guest scoop

Hi Gill

That's really nice of you hun but to be honest I am not really sure where I will be settling yet! I want to move to Maryborough Queensland to be near friends but it all depends if there is the work there when I am ready to go. I have been looking at Victoria lately as an alternative.

As I understand it most dog licensing rules are local council dictated.

My third dog is well at the moment but does have cancer so may consider delaying things a little!

Thanks for your input Gill much appreciated.

Regards

SCoop

x

Guest paulwbafc

Burglars always go for easy option. If people leave windows open thats inviting trouble. Even with the heat i would shut and bolt up lock all gates etc and make it hard as possible. Then if neighbours are leaving theres open thats where they will go. Crime is high in uk. I not been burgled but i know people here in uk burgled several times in ten years. In UK if a burglar gets injured on your property they can sue you. Human rights in uk is one of the things that annoy me. Criminals get it easy in uk because they have 'human rights' Tony the farmer who got jailed for shooting a burglar on his land.

Guest choobs
Tony the farmer who got jailed for shooting a burglar on his land.

It's off topic for this board, but I think it's worth mentioning that the burglar in question was shot in the back while running away ;-)

Choobs

Hiya

Without wanting to cause a riot ,,,does it really matter if the burglar was running away ,he had been there on someone elses property causing damage to things people work hard for and it wasnt the first time,,its a shame the shot didnt hit a foot or two higher and wipe the scum out ,this country is too soft on criminals ,you can even glass someone but get out of jail ''before your even in it'' as long as you give a good cry to the judge !!!

there is no doubting criminals are ruining this country and unfortunately for the uk in a few years i doubt there will be many hard working law abing civillians left !!

Rant over

Cal x

SO NEAR AND YET SO FAR !!

Guest Nelson

On a positive note, at least we will know that all the Brits we meet in Oz are not hardened criminals, having been police checked :!: :!:

Guest Gollywobbler
Krista

Any hardened criminals would stay here ,,why ?? you get no punishment when / if you do get caught !!!

Cal x

SO NEAR AND YET SO FAR !!!

How true, Cal, how true.....

Gill

Guest choobs
Hiya

Without wanting to cause a riot ,,,does it really matter if the burglar was running away ,he had been there on someone elses property causing damage to things people work hard for and it wasnt the first time,,its a shame the shot didnt hit a foot or two higher and wipe the scum out ,this country is too soft on criminals ,you can even glass someone but get out of jail ''before your even in it'' as long as you give a good cry to the judge !!!

there is no doubting criminals are ruining this country and unfortunately for the uk in a few years i doubt there will be many hard working law abing civillians left !!

Rant over

Cal!! You're not seriously suggesting that property is more valuable than human life are you? ;-)

Choobs

Sorry choobs but we may have to agree to disgree on this one,if i have worked my butt off since leaving school to afford everything i own and some scum broke into my property i can say now that i would probably be locked up for my actions.You can have nothing decent in this country without some jealous dole dosser comeing along and destroying it ,i was brought up to protect my my own and this i will do till the day that i die

Cal x

Guest Neil Meadowcroft

Just to throw a questionable remark in here, where did all the convicts get sent to in the 1700-1900!!!

Guest ABCDiamond
Just to throw a questionable remark in here, where did all the convicts get sent to in the 1700-1900!!!

Well, between 1718 and 1783 about 50,000 British criminals were transported to colonies in America.

Then Australia became the colony, and about 175,000 were sent between 1787 and 1868.

Almost 10,000 went to WA

Tasmania got about 67,000

South Australia was never a British convict colony, and never received any convicts (I was surprised at that)

The only convicts sent directly to Victoria from Britain were about 1,750 who arrived between 1844-1849.

Around 2,280 convicts were sent to the QLD settlement.

That leaves about 95,000 for NSW ?

However......... the source for the above leaves me slightly puzzled, as it also quotes....... 34 percent were transported for unspecified larcenies; 15 percent for burglary or housebreaking; 113 percent for stealing domestic or farm animals, and 6 percent for "theft of wearing apparel, 3 percent for "offences against the person"

Archived