My findings back in the UK

Guest chris955

Did you realise that over 1000 Britons permanently leave the UK every day !! Emigrating to Australia and other countries in search of a better life than what they have in the UK.

http://www.immigrationmatters.co.uk/one-thousand-people-emigrate-from-britain-every-day.html

Those figures are overstated - you're better off going to a more objective source:

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/migration1/migration-statistics-quarterly-report/august-2012/msqr.html#tab-2--Who-is-Migrating-to-and-from-the-UK--Migration-by-Citizenship

"Long term emigration" of course includes people like me (and fourcorners, who posted above), who are working overseas for a few years but with every intention of returning. Just as I have done on 2 previous occasions, and she has done in the past too

There are loads of us - the oil and gas industry in particular worldwide is full of Poms who work abroad for a while but don't necessarily emigrate in the sense of leaving to live permanently elsewhere - plus there are tens of thousands in financial services and construction in particular (and in other industries) who work in other "hotspots" like Singapore, Hong Kong and the various Middle Eastern states for a few years and then come back. It's really common.

We're not all in search of a "better life". IME through living it and the experiences of friends and colleagues who have done similar, most of us do it for money, career (either to further it or broaden our experience), or just for a bit of adventure, or any combination of the above

Apologies to 4C for putting words in her mouth

• Like 1

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're not all in search of a "better life". IME through living it and the experiences of friends and colleagues who have done similar, most of us do it for money, career (either to further it or broaden our experience), or just for a bit of adventure, or any combination of the above

Apologies to 4C for putting words in her mouth

No need to apologise, you're spot on!

So to further your career, or broaden your experience, or earn more money - you have to emigrate from the UK.

I see now. Thanks for clarifying.

No, of course not - you're being facetious

You can do those things at home as well. Maybe you just fancy a change? There's a world of opportunity out there

Not that hard to understand, surely? There are loads (hundreds of thousands at least, if not millions) of Britons who work abroad for some period but don't emigrate. In this context I take "emigrate" to mean leave your home country with the express intention of moving permanently. Just working away for a bit is a totally different mindset

It's an attractive proposition for many for a whole host of reasons. In the first instance for me I wanted to see the world a bit, but I wanted to do it through and whilst working, not just as an extended holiday. So I joined a large American corporation from Uni, deliberately because I knew there would be a high chance of travelling with them, which there was. I lived for varying periods in the US, the UAE, Sweden, Kazakstan and Croatia as a result. The first time I went overseas, I didn't feel massively positive or negative about the UK; I was just young free and single and wanted to get out there, it's a big old world.

After 4 years away though, I came back and saw the UK through fresh eyes and realised I really liked an awful lot about it, for all its faults. Since then I've tended to defend it, particularly against what I see as the more unthinking cynical complaints about Britain - the "everything was better in the old days/politicians etc are all on the take now, not like they used to be/it's all gone to hell in a handcart" sort of thing. Partly because I've heard much the same moans made all around the world, and partly because as I've got older I have more to measure against. The Sheffield and Leeds I saw a year or so back are not as prosperous as the Sheff and Leeds I knew 4 years ago - but they're still a hell of a lot better off than the Sheff and Leeds of the 1980s.

We're not doing anything different to the millions of Aussies who go abroad to the UK (or other European countries) or US in their younger adult years for similar reasons, after all. Some of them stay overseas for good, most don't and go home, but they've had an experience one way or the other

Yes you're right northshorepom. nothing wrong with travelling and working abroad to see what the world has to offer.

I was being facetious.

However there are many on here who have genuinely emigrated - intended to leave permanently to Australia and later moved back, and then say how great UK is.

My comments are directed to them - ie if it is so good why did you want to emigrate in the first place.

Yes you're right northshorepom. nothing wrong with travelling and working abroad to see what the world has to offer.

I was being facetious.

However there are many on here who have genuinely emigrated - intended to leave permanently to Australia and later moved back, and then say how great UK is.

My comments are directed to them - ie if it is so good why did you want to emigrate in the first place.

So you can find out how over rated Australia is and shows you how far advanced the uk is compared to Australia . Just an example I'm now in week 7 and still can't get my phone line connected .

I was being facetious.

Fair enough. Sometimes moving away and coming back makes you view things in a very different light. It did with me, as alluded to above. When i first left, I think I left not really caring whether or not I would return. The second time, I knew I would, as I'd realised the UK was actually a pretty good place.

The third time (this time) is pretty much the same, albeit Australia actually is a pretty easy place for a Brit to move to and a very generous one when it comes to offering the chance to stay permanently - compare and contrast with the US for example, where the cultures are totally different (WAY more different from the UK than Australia is) and even getting some sort of permanent residence is pretty tough, citizenship even harder. Our baseline assumption is we'll return, as we only came here for a temporary move for some of the reasons noted above. But we're keeping an open mind. I'm just grateful Australia is the sort of place it is possible to have that luxury to be honest

Guest chris955
Did you realise that over 1000 Britons permanently leave the UK every day !! Emigrating to Australia and other countries in search of a better life than what they have in the UK.

http://www.immigrationmatters.co.uk/one-thousand-people-emigrate-from-britain-every-day.html

So what, why do you feel the need to post that here in my thread ? This has always been the case, people leave all countries including shock horror Australia everyday to live somewhere else. Why the need to constantly justify your move, you love it, thats good. Others dont, simple.

I was being facetious.

To attempt to answer your last line. The obvious reason would be, they didn't realise how good it was in the UK until after they had lived and worked in Australia and then had somewhere to compare it with.

To attempt to answer your last line. The obvious reason would be, they didn't realise how good it was in the UK until after they had lived and worked in Australia and then had somewhere to compare it with.

Quite right. As I've said on here countless times, Brits are hardwired to think the UK is a dreadful place to live. Many leave and continue believing that. Many others however only really see what the UK has to offer when they leave, and thereafter see it in a fresh light.

Found British TV is still fantastic, watching good cop and homeland both amazing dramas, and Ricky gervaices an idiot abroad is kne of the funniest documentaries I have ever seen.

Well not being picky as Oz telly is a bit naff but the shows you mentioned are on here too!! we are not as backward as some are making out. Anyway.....Telly? Ram it! as the great outdoors is where its at!

And you have to point out that these returnees who now praise England wanted to Emigrate in the first place.

Clearly they were looking for a better life than the England they grew up in. And wanted a much better life and more opportunities for their children.

Wanted a better life yes....but many tried it and found that it is not a better life so they came home, no big deal really.

Well not being picky as Oz telly is a bit naff but the shows you mentioned are on here too!! we are not as backward as some are making out. Anyway.....Telly? Ram it! as the great outdoors is where its at!

Yep the great outdoors. Alive and kicking in the UK as much as oz.

Unfortunately I have found over the years living here in Aus that Aus in social sense is about 10 years behind Europe, I just wish the people would not catch up with the anti social ways and things that start to happen here. For instance we used to be graffiti free, lots of Brits now remark on our graffiti, catch up of a negative kind. Falling out the boozers fighting etc catch up of another negative.

So I would rather we just went on being Aus without any influences as most of the negatives ones seem to find their way here.

As for this thread, the op has returned he loves it and good for you, but for goodness sake spend some time enjoying the village life. I have an excuse for being on PIO a lot, I have a oh who is seriously ill, I need to be around most of the time. I also am retired.

However if I returned to that wonderful cottage in UK with roses round the door, no cars parked all over the place, wing mirrors not needing to be bent in, I would be rambling around the woods having a wonderful time.

Unfortunately I have found over the years living here in Aus that Aus in social sense is about 10 years behind Europe, I just wish the people would not catch up with the anti social ways and things that start to happen here. For instance we used to be graffiti free, lots of Brits now remark on our graffiti, catch up of a negative kind. Falling out the boozers fighting etc catch up of another negative.

So I would rather we just went on being Aus without any influences as most of the negatives ones seem to find their way here.

As for this thread, the op has returned he loves it and good for you, but for goodness sake spend some time enjoying the village life. I have an excuse for being on PIO a lot, I have a oh who is seriously ill, I need to be around most of the time. I also am retired.

However if I returned to that wonderful cottage in UK with roses round the door, no cars parked all over the place, wing mirrors not needing to be bent in, I would be rambling around the woods having a wonderful time.

aussies don't need any influence to behave like Europeans,they ave been doing it since they were sent there from England. Long a long time ago.

Great post! Really happy for you, Homewardbound588, but Oh! this has made me feel really homesick! I've been in Brisbane for over 2 years now and while I do love it here, I still pine every now and then for my friends and family, the seasons, the cold winters and everything you and Lemontree46 have mentioned. We're coming up to Christmas again which is when I always feel the most homesick. Hoping to go back for a holiday next year tho!

aussies don't need any influence to behave like Europeans,they ave been doing it since they were sent there from England. Long a long time ago.

Do you mean Europeans or Brits PB? There is a world of difference to a night out in Germany, Spain, Portugal, Greece, France and Britain. Each one being different to the other. Behaviour, drinking habits, eating habits, social interraction is different in each country. You can't just lump Europe together and think it's all the same.

Going down to Freo, for an example, I feel the influence of the Italians and Greeks much more than I do British. Feels like I'm back in Greece on holiday sometimes.

But over 60% return within 5 years an 70% within 10 years.

Not from Australia they don't PB. I've posted the official statistics several times (with links to the source data:- http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publications/statistics/). Feel free to read them sometime. Admittedly, I've only got official govt stats to go off, but I'd wager that they're a damn site closer to the real figures than yours are.

Number of people departing Australia permanently (who were born in the UK)

2010-2011 7,173

2009-2010 7,127

2008-2009 6,160

2007-2008 6,047

2006-2007 5,626

2005-2006 5,353

Total 37,486

** Only around 60% (e.g. 29.8% 2008-2009, 60% 2009-2010, 60.4% 2010-2011) of those departing permanently, indicate they are returning to their country of birth.

So the approximate number of UK born people leaving Australia to return to the UK as follows:

2010-2011 4,303

2009-2010 4,276

2008-2009 3,696

2007-2008 3,628

2006-2007 3,375

2005-2006 3,211

Total 22,941

Number of permanent additions to Australia (who were born in the UK)

2010-2011 20,581

2009-2010 28,193

2008-2009 34,266

2007-2008 29,789

2006-2007 31,289

2005-2006 19,116

Total 163,234

So, in the 6 year period (2005-2011) there were 163,234 permanent additions to the population (who were born in the UK) During the same period, 37,486 UK born people left Australia permanently (net figure, around 22% of the additions) and of those leaving, around 60% returned to the UK. So around net 14% left to return to the UK.

For a more accurate figure, you'll have to start delving deeper (eg of those departing in 2010-2011, 434 had been here 2-3 years so I guess you'd compare that as a % of arrivals from 2007-2008 etc etc etc but you can do the leg work for that PB and we'll see if you can come up with your 60-70% figure...

Guest chris955
why is that the returnees didn't realise UK was any good until they left and then came back again.

Surely if it was that good you would realise wouldn't you ?

Did you not read any of the other posts ?