Am I eligible to be a Management Consultant?

jakc

Im in a bit of a predicament, more info on this post.

Currently on 457, doing a ENS 186, and current employer lodged me as a Mgmt Consultant.

Due to some issues around my employer lodging this when it was the 856, and me applying on my half when it was the 186, the only option I now have is not to be on the temporary migration stream, but the direct stream.

So. I need to get my skills assessed as a Mgmt Consultant with vetassess.

This is in the Group B field for skills:

Group B Occupations require a qualification which is assessed as at least at the level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Bachelor degree, in a highly relevant field to the nominated occupation. In addition to this, the applicant must have at least one year of post-qualification employment in a field which is highly relevant and at an appropriate skill level to your nominated occupation completed in the five years before the date of application for a Skills Assessment. Pre-qualification employment may be considered.

The truth:

I did a degree in Geographical Information Systems (GIS)

I spent 3 years in the UK as a GIS Analyst, 2 yrs as a GIS Consultant (didnt manage people, but some project mgmt)

Came to Oz on 457 as a Mgmt Consultant, but essentially been working for 3.5yrs as a GIS Senior Consultant.

Am I eligible?

Vetasses state:

A qualification is considered highly relevant if it has a major area of study in the same field as the nominated occupation or in a field which is considered suitable preparation for employment in that occupation.
source

Q1 - Is my qualification in GIS highly relevant to my nominated occupation as a Mgmt Consultant?

Yes, I am a GIS Consultant, but its not like my original degree was in how to be a Mgmt Consultant.

Its like someone having a financial degree, but then goes on to become a Mgmt Consultant for a Financial firm, same Q applies.

It goes on to state:

Whether the degree is in the same field as the nominated occupation or in a field which is assessed as suitable for employment in that occupation in Australia

I dont want to fork out $650 to then fail the assessment.

The even more annoying factor, is that there is a more suitable occupation (Cartographer) which my employer should have put in, as I would have no problems passing this test.

This was not initially an issue as I was under the impression that I would be going into the 186 temporary transition stream, which did not need my skills assessed.

From talking to DIAC, I believe that trying to convince my case officer if I can change the nominated occupation will likely result in the application having to be cancelled and no refund, and start over again. Not entirely sure my employer would also want to start another application.

Any ideas, or experience from those that have done skills assessments with vetassessas a Mgmt consultant? Its quite a vague role.

How long have you worked on the 457 visa? My understanding is if you have worked for 2 years in Australia and your employer will sponsor you for pr then you do not need a skills assessment.

Edit just seen you've been in Aus 3.5 years. I'd talk to a migration agent but I don't think you should need an assessment at all.

Edited by Hippychick

Terry - appreciate the humour, but im not really in the mood right now.

HippyChick - Yes, 3.5yrs. Ur right, if I was lodging from scratch, I would fall into the temporary transistion stream, not req my skills to be assessed.

However, as mentioned on my other post, im in a situation where I was in the middle period between 856 (when my employer lodged) and the 186 (when I lodged final application) and have been told today that I am forced to apply for direct entry stream (which requires skill assessment). Thanks.

Hmmm doesn't sound too straight forward..... had you thought about getting some advice you may have to pay a fee for? Might have to part with some cash, but may be cheaper in the long run.

Looking at your other post, if DIAC have asked you to tranfer to direct entry stream, and you accept, there would be no way of getting around a skills assessment (your occupation doesn't come under the exempt ones)... as that is a mandatory requirement of the visa.

Edited by Tickled Pink

Sorry - didn't mean to offend or upset. When I went through the immigration process as an engineer, everything had to be quite specific - degree had to relate directly to the job. I was 'sort of trying' to make the point that a management consultant position is really vague as you already knew and if you have the option to tie your job more closely to your position it would avoid going into a 'grey' area

Good luck anyway. Hope it works out for you

I see no reason why a GIS consultant shouldn't be a management consultant - I came over on 457 as a management consultant and did BA, PM, HR, anything they gave me. I had my skills assessed a while ago as a business analyst, and from memory I just worded my application to fit what they wanted (I hadn't just done BA work). Australians seem to be a lot more adept at massaging their skills to fit criteria than poms. For instance I know someone who had a project moving office furniture and PCs for an ICT dept and called it 'Business transformation' on her resume. I did a similar role and called it 'BA'. Probably both wrong, but in your place I'd massage the app to fit the requirements.

Guest guest76088

Do you have the qualifications and skills to be a management consultant?

The questions I would ask are:

a) do you have formal qualifications or training in management ?

b) having you been undertaking management consultancy for a considerable period ?

For example Engineers Australia have a "Management" Area of Engineering for the professional register (NPER) which requires an assessment to ExecEng level.

I think Management Consultant could be extremely broadly used-and-abused so I suspect they will want to reduce its use by applying narrow requirements to its use for assessment purposes.

I am not sure how this would work in your profession of GIS. If you are the member of any Institution get in touch and they may be able to help.

BigD

I see no reason why a GIS consultant shouldn't be a management consultant - I came over on 457 as a management consultant and did BA, PM, HR, anything they gave me. I had my skills assessed a while ago as a business analyst, and from memory I just worded my application to fit what they wanted (I hadn't just done BA work). Australians seem to be a lot more adept at massaging their skills to fit criteria than poms. For instance I know someone who had a project moving office furniture and PCs for an ICT dept and called it 'Business transformation' on her resume. I did a similar role and called it 'BA'. Probably both wrong, but in your place I'd massage the app to fit the requirements.

a) do you have formal qualifications or training in management ?

b) having you been undertaking management consultancy for a considerable period ?

a) No. None

b) Ive been a gis CONSULTANT for last 5 years, 3.5 of which have been in Melbourne.

The last 3.5 years has involved management duties in my role.

The Vetassesss skills assessment costs $650.

Does anyone know if they offer any sort of pre-assessment where you can work out your chances before splashing out on a potentially waster $650?

Happy to pay a fee but cant see any service on their website. If anyone can send me a link that would be great.

The even more annoying factor, is that there is a more suitable occupation (Cartographer) which my employer should have put in, as I would have no problems passing this test.

This was not initially an issue as I was under the impression that I would be going into the 186 temporary transition stream, which did not need my skills assessed.

From talking to DIAC, I believe that trying to convince my case officer if I can change the nominated occupation will likely result in the application having to be cancelled and no refund, and start over again. Not entirely sure my employer would also want to start another application.

Be careful what you say to DIAC as you may prejudice your current and/or future application as well as your current 457 visa.

Does anyone know if they offer any sort of pre-assessment where you can work out your chances before splashing out on a potentially waster $650?

Yes, they offer a pre assessment advisory service for $130.