Ladyw

Medicare - stupid question sorry

Hi

Ok I feel daft asking this as I previously worked for a health insurance company, but my husband and I have just moved to Perth on a 176 permanent visa and I need to sort out Medicare cards. I have found the application form online which I need to fill in and take in to a Medicare Office and I understand what it covers you for, however I dont know how much it costs ie is it a monthly DD?

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Lisa

xx

Lisa & Robert

VETASSESS Aug 11, Practical 03/12 IELTS S 9, R 8.5, W 8, L 7, WA SS 01/06/12, 176 Visa Lodged 10/06/12, CO assigned, Meds 10/07, PCC 10/07. Visa grant 24/07/12. Perth 15/10/12!!

Medicare is free. You just go in with your passport, rental agreement, visa stamp, driving licence etc and they will issue you with a temp card until your other one comes in the post. You do however pay a medicare levy which will be deducted from your tax refund at the end of the tax year after you submit a tax return. Hope this helps. Deb

Yes its not exactly free. You pay something like 1.5% of your taxable income for it. It is part of your tax.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Thanks Deb. I was wondering why the app form asks for bank account details if it is free?!

Lisa & Robert

VETASSESS Aug 11, Practical 03/12 IELTS S 9, R 8.5, W 8, L 7, WA SS 01/06/12, 176 Visa Lodged 10/06/12, CO assigned, Meds 10/07, PCC 10/07. Visa grant 24/07/12. Perth 15/10/12!!

Is that to put in the rebate if you go to a non-bulk billing Practice?

E.g. Our local Practice charges $59 an appointment and you get about $30 rebate from Medicare.

Thanks Deb. I was wondering why the app form asks for bank account details if it is free?!

Yes, it's so they can pay you any rebates directly into your bank account. They don't take money out of your bank account - they put money into it..

The Medicare levy is usually paid out of your salary with your tax payment (assuming your employer uses the tax tables that include it).

If it isn't paid via salary deductions, it comes out in the wash when you do your tax return and you pay it at the end of the tax year.

If you're not employed (or rather don't have any taxable income) you don't pay anything at all.

Edited by NickyNook

Thanks all that makes sense!

I dont think that will be the last of my stupid questions

Lisa

Lisa & Robert

Thanks all that makes sense!

I dont think that will be the last of my stupid questions

Lisa

Not stupid at all

Keep the questions coming

...IS My Life a Dream? - If It Is I Don't Want to Wake Up...