Granted 820 temporary partner visa still struggling to find work

Guest byidlehands

Guest byidlehands

I was granted my first stage partner visa in March, at the time i thought my worries were over because this visa has no work restrictions, and in 2 years time so long as my situation hasn't changed, i should be able to get permanent residency. I was working for a small business as a labourer/ Trade assistant and everything was going great, but that job has sadly dried up now and I have encountered the same problem as before when looking for work, I have been told that i am perfect for the job, but they don't like my visa status because i am not permanent resident, so far it has cost me 2 jobs for definite, not to mention the countless jobs which don't even let you get past the automated questions the minute you put your immi status in.

Have other people had this problem!? Is this just me? I don't have a trade or any particular skills, my background is in retail but i would like to start an apprenticeship and learn a trade, but I cant see a way to do that if nobody will give you a chance until your PM is granted! Its putting a lot of stress on me and my fiance, let alone stopping us from saving for the wedding, and getting our own place and all the other things which no doubt they will want evidence of to grant the visa!! lol, end of rant.

If anyone has any similar experience how did you get around this? what industry/ jobs have people managed to get employed in on 820 temporary visa!? any ideas about what to do in terms of learning a trade!?

thanks for listening!

Hiya

That sounds pretty rough, where are you based?

I didnt have any issues at all, in fact the company i work for now contacted me and offered me a job while i was still in the UK, then just checked my visa and 18 months in and im still here. I know some people have struggled to find work here in Perth regardless of the visa they are on but all have after a few months of looking, so im sure youll find something soon

good luck

hels

How are you stating your visa status?

You have a partner visa with full work rights. Don't tell them any more than this on your CV etc. Also never refer to it as a temporary visa. It's a provisional visa.

However many apprenticeship schemes etc the funding only works for permanent residents, so you might want to concentrate on just getting any job until you get PR, and THEN look into apprenticeships.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried everything on my visa including leaving visa status off. Maybe I'm not right for the work I have been applying for.

It would be nice to be able to register on the jobsearch.gov.au system to obtain a jobseeker ID. Seems to be a flaw in the immigration process.

I have tried everything on my visa including leaving visa status off. Maybe I'm not right for the work I have been applying for.

It would be nice to be able to register on the jobsearch.gov.au system to obtain a jobseeker ID. Seems to be a flaw in the immigration process.

Sorry, that should have read 'everything on my Resume'.

I do recall one thing and I'd like to get this verified . Apparently Australia requires quite a specific CV style not like many that you find on the Internet from the united states. Although this doesn't account for the online applications provided by many large employers.

I'm still looking for work and have no idea where I'm going wrong of if the system is really against me!

Cheers

Guest katie007
Sorry, that should have read 'everything on my Resume'.

I do recall one thing and I'd like to get this verified . Apparently Australia requires quite a specific CV style not like many that you find on the Internet from the united states. Although this doesn't account for the online applications provided by many large employers.

I'm still looking for work and have no idea where I'm going wrong of if the system is really against me!

Cheers

Resume, = KIS

Keep it Simple ...and to the point.

Too many go into a love story of why they are or want to leave a country.

Clear Points

Key Skills (Must be relevant to the Job you are going for)

Make sure Dates are exact and the Title you performed.

Certificates you hold

and MAX Two Pages. for 5 Years History

4 Pages for 15 Years History.

Last thing anyone who is employing is reading 3/4 of a Resume to see if you have the SKILLS as you can be assured it will be in the wastepaper basket before page 2.