itchy feet

twinkletoes35

Hello all

We celebrated our first year un Australia at the weekend, live in a nice town, job is ok rather the great, My o.h and son are really well settled and love it where we are, we have talked about saving to buy a house but I cannnot shake the feeling that there is more out there.

Alot of the problem is I do not feel challenged in my job and often feel like I am going through the motions, although there is opportunities for promotion I cannont see ones for development. I am often left feeling stupid for asking questions and consequently feel undervalued. I think maybe moving to a bigger/more progressive hospital may help, due to relocation assistance given to us have another year on my contract till we could move. The public hospital in the town is making job cuts, and I am told that not necessarly is the grass greener

Maybe I should just be happy with my lot? I just wish I did not feel like there could be something better for us in another part of Oz?

Now I am not asking anyone to tell me what to do, just interested in hearing your thoughts, especially your experiences if you have moved from one area to another

thanks TT

Guest The Pom Queen

I get itchy feet a lot, in the UK we moved around a fair bit. Usually when I get the urge to move we gave a few days away and it always feels great to get back home

Sometimes the grass isn't always greener, although sometimes being new(ish) we don't always know whats on offer. If you've been here for a year then you'll be due for your Individual Performance Review (IPR) ... may be called something different. Where I work, I've always used this as an opportunity to be honest and say what I feel ... in my last it was that as much as I enjoyed doing my job something was missing. A good line manager will work with you to look at other things that you could be doing either to add to your role or do as extra, there may be opportunities to work in others positions whilst their on leave etc. Also take the opportunity to say you don't feel valued but be specific about what would make you feel that way. Again, as part of my IPR I wrote down what managment style gets the best out of me.