Rentals in Sydney

carlosK

Hi Folks! Just thought I'd give you all a quick update on how things are going for us in the rental world in Sydney. We have been looking now for almost two weeks, and would love to say I feel like we are getting somewhere but we are not! We/I have had a few viewings, but if there aren't queues of people waiting to view then the places are disgusting! These can only be viewed once the rental agents answer their phones/emails and reply to messages left which so far they have not been very good at!! Its hard enough to move to the other side of the world etc without rental agents making it worse!! Be interested to hear if anyone has had the same problems! Thank goodness we have good friends or we would be sleeping on the beach by now!!

Oh dear

It can be really tough....I assume you've got your reference/application pack etc all ready?

If you try and develop a relationship with the agents and keep dropping in with a smile on your face it can help - what you really want is to hear about something that's about to come on, before it gets into the open house space.But that can be hard. Just got to keep plugging away. If everywhere you're looking is oversubscribed or horrible, then hate to say it, but are you sure you're not being overoptimistic on what your budget will get you?

Good luck

Hi Northshorepom, thanx for your reply. Believe me we are not being over-optimistic, just eager to get a place thats some way decent!! Got a rental pack at the ready (think it may have been you that had suggested that in a previous post), i did this before i left the UK! I will take your advice and drop in to a few agents tomorrow. Thanxs again! I'll keep you posted!!

c xx

Hey there! Sorry to hear you have had no luck yet! We moved over in early december too and found a real bargain rental in "the shire" for 3 months. House hunting will begin soon again though- although at least we will have some more rental history. Any way I was about to post this in another thread but if you are interested in taking a place in the shire my neighbours daughter has a place for rent for 9 months (pm me sure or look at the thread started by me). Best of luck in your house hunting!!

Hmmm I was very lucky as landed the first place I applied for ....and managed to score a private viewing...on 2 places I liked that day!

I think its a bad time of year I have been told summer is peak season for moving around certainly in the northen beaches where I live as everyone decides that being near the beach is a good move!

The only thing I can think of is maybe to ask the agents first thing on a sat morning for thier list, for some reason when I was looking there were things that either werent on 'real estate.com or domain' or I missed them....including the lovely place I rent and I only stumbled upon it as I walked past!

Other tip maybe is dont not look at places with no pics as it might jsut be the current tennant wont give them permission to take pics with their furniture in.

Also dont judge too much by the outside.....I rented my place while I was away at xmas and when the guy came to pick up the keys he said he walked right past as he thought 'that really nice unit cant be in that building'! Its not awfull just a little bit shabby!

Dont be tempted to make do...but maybe have an 'essential' list and a 'desireable' list! E.g for me balcony and interal laundry essential........dishwasher desireable? then you wont be tempted to end up somewhere you hate!

Good Luck where are you looking?

Hey there! Sorry to hear you have had no luck yet! We moved over in early december too and found a real bargain rental in "the shire" for 3 months. House hunting will begin soon again though- although at least we will have some more rental history. Any way I was about to post this in another thread but if you are interested in taking a place in the shire my neighbours daughter has a place for rent for 9 months (pm me sure or look at the thread started by me). Best of luck in your house hunting!!

Hi, and thanx for your response. I am starting work in randwick on monday so The Shire is a bit far out for me, as also using public transport! The hunt will continue, just won't be able to put as much time into it now that im going to be working. Trying to remain optimistic!! Thanx again and good luck with everything c x

So today we have viewed the most amazing apartment, I have completely fallen in love with it! We've to apply by Monday am! Two things I need help/advice on! Firstly, we have only been here a matter of weeks and require the 100 point ID check thing! Which the requirements vary from agent to agent! For this one, we both have our passports (50 points each), we have a bank statement (10 points each), I also have a current EU drivers licence, does that give me a further 50 points, or zero as my photo ID is my PP? We don't have any recent payslips (well oh can get one, I haven't been paid yet), we don't have medicare cards or utility bills! We do have letter of reference from previous uk landlord, and previous employers! Don't know what to do cause I want to be prepared on monday, I REALLY want this place!! Please can anyone help! I was going to write a cover letter, what should I put in it! All advice welcome x

Hi, I haven't read all the posts. Flatmatefinders.com.au works for me every time. Everyone writes a little bio about themselves. I have also had success with Domain. I find gumtree to be a bit time consuming and you get a lot of people ringing you.

Thanks but looking for a place of our own

It's very easy to dial a real estate agent who can provide you a good room for rent.

Its easy to dial them yes, I agree! Not so easy to get them to a) answer their phones b) reply to messages c) reply to emails etc. As I said previously, thats the difficult thing!

Happy to help you find short-term accommodation. A few questions: Do you have a location for employment as yet? A requirement for schools? Preferred lifestyle? Budget? Can often arrange corporate discounts. Cheers SydneyAnne (www.relocate-east.com.au)

Hi Sydneyanne, thanx for your response. If your service was free of charge I would definitely take you up on your offer! Thank you though, I do appreciate it xx