QS/Project Surveyor/Contracts Administrator

jimithechew

Hi mate, its going well, working hard and long hours, but that's the nature of the beast over here (for Main Contractors at least) hours from 0700 till at least 1700 if not 1800, with half an hour lunch, subbies will prob work a more rigid 8-4, but as with any job you generally work until the job is done.

annual leave is less over here as well, 20 days as oppose to the standard 25 in the UK.

But I am on a better wage, so musn't grumble!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi mate, its going well, working hard and long hours, but that's the nature of the beast over here (for Main Contractors at least) hours from 0700 till at least 1700 if not 1800, with half an hour lunch, subbies will prob work a more rigid 8-4, but as with any job you generally work until the job is done.

annual leave is less over here as well, 20 days as oppose to the standard 25 in the UK.

But I am on a better wage, so musn't grumble!

hi jmt, i am also of the same profession as yours, 10 yrs experience acquired from dubai and philippines.

i am starting to get tensed and afraid, it's been a month since i arrived here in adelaide, i am not getting feedback from all the applications i sent.. i have revised my cv have into 3 pages only, more on general view of the projects handled and duties.

what can you suggest on cv writing should it be more on detailed, like mentioning the detailed responsibilities.i have a detailed version of cv which is at 7 pages.. is that more appealing to employers and agents

• 1 year later...

Hi, I am returning to WA towards the middle of this year and am wondering what the state of the construction industry is. I am a dual national & I worked for Pindan from 2004 to 2008 as a senior CA and 2009 to 2011 with PACT as a PM. If you know of any opportunities I would appreciates the 'heads up'. Cheers.

If anyone has any questions on this job feel free to ask as I have now been over here for two years (In Perth) as a CA and can answer any questions (well, as best I can!).

And @bensdad I will call you back on Monday.

Cheers

Hi, I am returning to WA towards the middle of this year and was wondering what the state of the construction industry is. I am a dual national who worked for Pindan between 2004 and 2008 as a senior CA and between 2009 and 2011 for PACT as a PM. If you are aware of any potential employment opportunities I would appreciate the 'heads up'.Cheers. Richard

Hi, I am returning to WA towards the middle of this year and was wondering what the state of the construction industry is. I am a dual national who worked for Pindan between 2004 and 2008 as a senior CA and between 2009 and 2011 for PACT as a PM. If you are aware of any potential employment opportunities I would appreciate the 'heads up'.Cheers. Richard

Google this company - BMD - they are based in Queensland but are national, and are just starting to establish themselves in WA with 2 to 3 multi Million $ projects just won.

Good luck.

How've you found adapting to the life of a QS/CA over here Jim? 4 years in and it still bemuses me the way they go about things here sometimes :lol:

Hiya,

Yeah its a strange old market, and it depends on who you work for as to how stressful or easy your job is... and of course money talks. I do think things are progressing though over here and it will, in time be less "Wait A while" and more "Way Ahead".....

I would say the market is defo picking up and there seems to be more talk of some bigger projects kicking off in the middle and towards the latter part of this year. I work in Tier 2 so I don't doubt for a minute that you will be able to pick something up with your experience. What have you been doing since you left? same roles?

Cheers

JTC

Hiya,

Yeah its a strange old market, and it depends on who you work for as to how stressful or easy your job is... and of course money talks. I do think things are progressing though over here and it will, in time be less "Wait A while" and more "Way Ahead".....

Very true, Typically I've always been head contractor / EPCM/ top tier roles and the workoad has varied - the last 4 years have been very full on but well paid, at the moment I'll be honest I'm very bored! Deffo, I've noticed a big change in the last couple of years, if some of these terribly composed bespoke contracts were phased out it'd be great too.

It's on the pickup despite what the doom and gloomists say there is still plenty of work available for a well experienced QS/CA/PM/Planner etc with plenty projects mid flow or wrapping up and a few more big ones kicking off.. Seems to be a whole lot of City Centre and Infrastructure works going on around over this way and the last time I was in Brisbane too.

I would say the market is defo picking up and there seems to be more talk of some bigger projects kicking off in the middle and towards the latter part of this year. I work in Tier 2 so I don't doubt for a minute that you will be able to pick something up with your experience. What have you been doing since you left? same roles?

Cheers

JTC

Can anyone tell me realistic Salaries ?

What Systems you are using ?

Some real insight into Whats possible - I've found I apply for Senior roles, and up end feeling/being a Junior QS.

45 BSc MCIOB MRICS

Can anyone tell me realistic Salaries ?

What Systems you are using ?

Some real insight into Whats possible - I've found I apply for Senior roles, and up end feeling/being a Junior QS.

45 BSc MCIOB MRICS

Can anyone tell me realistic Salaries ? As a QS? I couldn't tell you 100% as QS's over here tend to work only for PQS firms, i.e RBB, Slattery etc... if your used to working as a QS for a MC then (as you have no doubt worked out) you would be classed as a CA. Wages of a CA vary, Tier 2 (with exp) you should be getting (All site based wages though) 130k ++. I know Senior CA's can get up to 180 ++ on the bigger jobs (over say 80mill + and mainly Tier 1). But it really can vary, I know CA's with a few years experience on $115k ++ then again I know of some on only 80k++ (both at the same company).

Other wages on site vary as well Site Managers 150k - 175k (No ++), CA's 75k-130k ++ and PM's 175k to 220k++

What Systems you are using ?, Cheops, its OK, but the version I'm using is a little outdated I feel.

Some real insight into Whats possible - I've found I apply for Senior roles, and up end feeling/being a Junior QS. As is so common over here you really need WA experience before they will even consider you (and that is the same for any state). Its all about getting your foot in the door and going from there, but its getting your foot in the door that is the hurdle, I know, I have been there and it is very stressful. Even if you enter in to a junior role you will quickly progress through the ranks or find employment with another firm who will value you.

Good luck!

Can anyone tell me realistic Salaries ? As a QS? I couldn't tell you 100% as QS's over here tend to work only for PQS firms, i.e RBB, Slattery etc... if your used to working as a QS for a MC then (as you have no doubt worked out) you would be classed as a CA. Wages of a CA vary, Tier 2 (with exp) you should be getting (All site based wages though) 130k ++. I know Senior CA's can get up to 180 ++ on the bigger jobs (over say 80mill + and mainly Tier 1). But it really can vary, I know CA's with a few years experience on $115k ++ then again I know of some on only 80k++ (both at the same company).

Other wages on site vary as well Site Managers 150k - 175k (No ++), CA's 75k-130k ++ and PM's 175k to 220k++

What Systems you are using ?, Cheops, its OK, but the version I'm using is a little outdated I feel.

Some real insight into Whats possible - I've found I apply for Senior roles, and up end feeling/being a Junior QS. As is so common over here you really need WA experience before they will even consider you (and that is the same for any state). Its all about getting your foot in the door and going from there, but its getting your foot in the door that is the hurdle, I know, I have been there and it is very stressful. Even if you enter in to a junior role you will quickly progress through the ranks or find employment with another firm who will value you.

Good luck!

Thanks for that, I'm actually In Melbourne - I think I lacked confidence in what I could do here in Oz, and didn't want a big position that may have not worked out until I felt comfortable. It's all just the same really.