I'm going to train to be a cook to get my PR

Guest Guest68570

I worked as a pot washer in a kitchen once. I have cooked for friends and family before.

I see what you are saying and yes it probably would be better to do it in the UK and save the money. But I have been living in the UK for a month, after spending six months in Greece and three in Australia. This is the first time I have ever lived properly in England in three years and just as I thought it truly is bloody awful.

I returned to the UK after 8 years away. And it was awful. But I stuck at it, worked hard and it actually wasn't so bad once I gave it a chance and stopped harping on about what I had left behind. You've been back a month and have been looking for a way out since before you even set foot in the UK. Its not helped you any.

Seriously, I do think you need to give the UK a chance to be your stepping stone to Aus. And to realise that sometimes the places worth going to, they may take a bit of time to get to, but that's ok.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest68570
I returned to the UK after 8 years away. And it was awful. But I stuck at it, worked hard and it actually wasn't so bad once I gave it a chance and stopped harping on about what I had left behind. You've been back a month and have been looking for a way out since before you even set foot in the UK. Its not helped you any.

Seriously, I do think you need to give the UK a chance to be your stepping stone to Aus. And to realise that sometimes the places worth going to, they may take a bit of time to get to, but that's ok.

where abouts do you live now?

I just find the UK so miserable, there really is nothing about it that makes it better than oz. Its just a lot lot worse in every way shape and form. I reckon people who claim its better and people who move back its largely because they miss their family and friends maybe its because the miss the environment they grew up in. I know it sounds really bad but when I was away I didn't really miss anything about home and really aisde from my mum and a couple of mates not really anyone. I just hate living a life that I know is second rate.

The student visa will get me back over there Im gonna have to save 8-10 grand but I supose its worth a try. If not I may even consider moving to Thailand or bali or somewhere like that.

The thing is, at some point in all this you are not really living, just avoiding living by avoiding reality and are merely existing and getting by with whatever means available. Thailand, Bali? What are they going to do for you? They certainly are not Aus. Just geographically closer is all. You won't get a degree there or earn a great salary. Do something worthwhile and tough unj out over jacking it in because you don't like the UK overall. In the short term it's fine as a place to live while you do a degree. It's not a 3rd world country.

Somewhere, some time you just have to stop for a bit. Stay put, put some hard work in, do the yards and get the degree to enable you to move on and live the rest of your life. Right now all you seem to be doing is looking for a way to avoid this, avoid the UK long term and it'll probably end up taking longer than you think it will anyway.

By the time you've worked and saved £10,000 you could have completed a year of your degree in the UK. One third of the way there.

I'm in the UK. Moving to Aus next year. I've been back in the UK a fair while now and honestly it's not so bad. I like it, it has some lovely aspects I didn't always appreciate. Sure somewhere else might be preferable but I'm living in the real world where dreams in my head don't pay the bills. You learn to live, to make do, adapt and understand a bit of hardship isn't a bad thing. And that if something is worthwhile it's perhaps better to take a longer route to achieve it than risk a dodgy shortcut as a quick fix.

Honestly, if you can't get that and come back with 'But I want.....' you really don't get it and probably never will and I'll bow out from this conversation.

Sorry I dont think its a good plan.

There was thousands of people went to Oz and did all these vocational collage courses like cooking etc, and due to all the changes with immigration they cant get visas to stay.

If you are not liking your Uni course, maybe speak to a careers adviser at Uni to see if there is something else you can transfer to now.

There was thousands of people went to Oz and did all these vocational collage courses like cooking etc, and due to all the changes with immigration they cant get visas to stay.

It was also these people who made it harder for my husband to get a visa. We had talked about moving to Australia for many years but had to wait for his Army career to finish (Australian army weren't recruiting chef's at the time). So we did and just when we reached a stage we were able to apply for a PR visa it was removed from the list, gutted was an understatement it felt so unfair that all these people had managed to get in through a back door yet my husband with 26 years experience would potentially miss out. Obviously we now know there are other routes, none of them are obviously easy but then it is becoming harder and harder.

Your biggest mistake Jackrew is that you need to stop asking for everyone's approval, nobody but you knows what you want to do with your life because it's YOUR life so make decisions, live them and learn from them but certainly never regret them it's how you grow as a person.

Guest Guest68570
The thing is, at some point in all this you are not really living, just avoiding living by avoiding reality and are merely existing and getting by with whatever means available. Thailand, Bali? What are they going to do for you? They certainly are not Aus. Just geographically closer is all. You won't get a degree there or earn a great salary. Do something worthwhile and tough unj out over jacking it in because you don't like the UK overall. In the short term it's fine as a place to live while you do a degree. It's not a 3rd world country.

Somewhere, some time you just have to stop for a bit. Stay put, put some hard work in, do the yards and get the degree to enable you to move on and live the rest of your life. Right now all you seem to be doing is looking for a way to avoid this, avoid the UK long term and it'll probably end up taking longer than you think it will anyway.

By the time you've worked and saved £10,000 you could have completed a year of your degree in the UK. One third of the way there.

I'm in the UK. Moving to Aus next year. I've been back in the UK a fair while now and honestly it's not so bad. I like it, it has some lovely aspects I didn't always appreciate. Sure somewhere else might be preferable but I'm living in the real world where dreams in my head don't pay the bills. You learn to live, to make do, adapt and understand a bit of hardship isn't a bad thing. And that if something is worthwhile it's perhaps better to take a longer route to achieve it than risk a dodgy shortcut as a quick fix.

Honestly, if you can't get that and come back with 'But I want.....' you really don't get it and probably never will and I'll bow out from this conversation.

The problem is this "avoiding living" and merely existing as you call it. Is England for me in a nutshell. Its like a half life, in fact its sad watching the time pass by, seeing my life wasted in this place whilst life in Australia happens without me. I don't understand why you are telling me to stick with my degree and be a drama teacher when you said it wouldn't work earlier on. I would probably be sticking with it if it wasn't for you lot telling me not to bother.

Thing is it doesn't matter what I want to do or what person I want to be, at the end of the day whilst I am resigned to living in a country I detest I am a failure. My aim before I even went travelling was to escape this place and it still is. I have wanted this since as long as I can remember I have never liked it, so I doubt I am going to start now. People always say but if you meet a nice partner, get a good job have good friends ect that will all change. Well that's rubbish. It will dissapear for a bit but forming routes in this place in my experience only leads to further heartbreak and things going wrong again. And then at the end of it all I always reach the same conclusion- I need to be in another country.

What I want out of life is to escape for good, live somewhere hot and by the sea and earn enough money to get by. I don't want to be Alan Sugar just pay the bills and not have to live in this hole. Its a bit like mar mite, you either love UK or hate it and believe you me I hate it and the sentence I have here. Maybe if someone were to grantee me entry to Australia, I could cope with staying for a few years. But to simply waste four to five years of my life in a place that I am so miserable in for buts and maybes just isn't good enough for me.

I really want to get on in life but in order to do that I need closure from this place.

The problem is this "avoiding living" and merely existing as you call it. Is England for me in a nutshell.

You can't blame 'England' for this is a decision you have personally made a country doesn't do this for you. There is always a way to live where ever you are, you just have to have the guts to stand up and tackle the issues head on.

Thing is it doesn't matter what I want to do or what person I want to be, at the end of the day whilst I am resigned to living in a country I detest I am a failure.

Again the country is not at fault it is a you have decided that to live in the UK is to be a failure, there are millions of people around the world who would disagree with this statement.

Maybe if someone were to grantee me entry to Australia

I think this may sum it all up. No one is going to grant you entry to Australia you have to earn it and if you did put the work in for 5 years or so then it can actually be a very real possibility.

The sensible thing to do is to go onto the Australian Immigration website and look through the jobs that are considered, bearing in mind these jobs will possibly change and make a list of the jobs that you might actually enjoy, not because they will get you a visa but because you think it might be something you can actually get your teeth into and work hard at... that's the key words right there 'work hard'. Asking people constantly whether your plans will work or not isn't the way forward, no one can give you 100% guarantee that anything will work. However having a good job that you enjoy could open up endless doorways that may or may not get you into Australia but you could end up living somewhere else that you haven't even considered yet.

The trouble is I know you've been told all of this before by so many people but you seem to lack so much confidence in your own decisions, perhaps that is the first thing you need to work on.

Guest guest71686
The problem is this "avoiding living" and merely existing as you call it. Is England for me in a nutshell. Its like a half life, in fact its sad watching the time pass by, seeing my life wasted in this place whilst life in Australia happens without me. I don't understand why you are telling me to stick with my degree and be a drama teacher when you said it wouldn't work earlier on. I would probably be sticking with it if it wasn't for you lot telling me not to bother.

Thing is it doesn't matter what I want to do or what person I want to be, at the end of the day whilst I am resigned to living in a country I detest I am a failure. My aim before I even went travelling was to escape this place and it still is. I have wanted this since as long as I can remember I have never liked it, so I doubt I am going to start now. People always say but if you meet a nice partner, get a good job have good friends ect that will all change. Well that's rubbish. It will dissapear for a bit but forming routes in this place in my experience only leads to further heartbreak and things going wrong again. And then at the end of it all I always reach the same conclusion- I need to be in another country.

What I want out of life is to escape for good, live somewhere hot and by the sea and earn enough money to get by. I don't want to be Alan Sugar just pay the bills and not have to live in this hole. Its a bit like mar mite, you either love UK or hate it and believe you me I hate it and the sentence I have here. Maybe if someone were to grantee me entry to Australia, I could cope with staying for a few years. But to simply waste four to five years of my life in a place that I am so miserable in for buts and maybes just isn't good enough for me.

I really want to get on in life but in order to do that I need closure from this place.

I wasn't being negative, as others have said its a different day different plan - its hard to take seriously. As has also already been said don;t worry about our opinions yours is the only one that counts for you but don't keep asking for advice of random schemes because your gonna get more and more comments from the likes of me and less and less people trying to be helpful.

I don't understand why you are telling me to stick with my degree and be a drama teacher when you said it wouldn't work earlier on. I would probably be sticking with it if it wasn't for you lot telling me not to bother.

Ok, this statement you made shows how detached from reality you actually are right now. You're not sticking with it because all you have done is talk about a plan to stop doing it. You can't blame others for your bad decisions. You have been given plenty of sensible advice but like I said before, it isn't what you want to read or heed. If you think Australia is the answer or the solution to the bleakness you are feeling at the moment, it isn't. If you want to go and live by the beach and make just enough money to 'get by' then you will have trouble getting to and staying in Australia. Your 'minimum effort for maximum gain' outlook on everything will wear thin on people after a while.

I look forwards to future updates from you.

I am going to post a few reasons why people are 'being so negative' Jack:

Thread: Could I get to Australia as a customs officer?

Thread: Getting jobs in NZ on an NZ working holiday visa

Thread: New Zealand how easy is it to be sponsered and get a job?

Thread: State sponsorship

Thread: Now or in Five years time?

Thread: Which occupation get the most sponsorship/ how does this idea sound?

Thread: Stduying business diploma whilst working with a view of gaining sponsership

Thread: T.E.F.L Qualifications- could I move to Australia with one? Or get sponsered?

This is just a small selection of posts you have started over the last few months.... most of which people have given their time to give you much great advice, all of which is apprently being ignored.... you have covered the following: WHV's - NZ and Aus, being a chef, teacher,hair dresser, customs officer, TEFL, administration, business, student visas, sponsorship, and, my personal favourite.... finding someone who will marry you!!

So Jack, its not so much people being negative toward you, but people feeling exasperated with you.

As I have said in a prior post, I think you are experiencing mental health difficulties, and rather than seek help on this forum, you should consider seeing someone, in person, for proper help. This is evidenced in many of your posts, for example, you state in this one whether you continue in your current degree or not has been based on what people have said to you on here! Not a sign of a rational person....

I work with people who are very seriously terminally ill. The way you talk about your life is just not right, or really that respectful to those who would give an awful lot to draw breath for another year - yes that may sound dramatic, however that is the actual reality of my working life. I consider that you have a very selfish outlook right now, and need to gain some persepctive. People on here want to help others, support others, and offer advice where ever they feel they can. But you have strained the goodwill of some lovely people on here who have, on many occasions, given you tangible plans.

Edited by Tickled Pink

Guest guest74886
I am going to save and go in June on the student visa. Two year diploma. I have seen lots of job offering sponsorship for a cook so I figures crossed shall get sponsored and then do ENS and then PR. Does this sound like a good plan?

Just be careful, my son was out here on a 457 as a chef which he is by experience and his employer screwed him over by saying he was doing the paperwork and never did and he had to leave, the catering industry here is cutthroat and very low status on the whole.

My son also did the course to get Oz qualification as a COOK as a means to PR but was last to get his application in on this basis and 2.5 years later his application has not started processing, to get qualification which will get PR it has to be CHEF standard and needs extensive experience qualification, or so I understand. Just check before doing it as there are lots of dodgy colleges who only want your money.

Check before you leap

The Ozzies only want you if they can exploit you

Lots of luck

Oz to france

Guest guest74886

Hi Jack

I can see where you are coming from but there are real realities about OZ, the days of being a beach bum here are long gone and tho some do still pursue that life style I think it is pretty dire, imagine a London squat plonked down in the back of beyond 30 or 40 k's from the nearest pub or shop, not really glamorous! and there are no handouts and a small beer in a pub is $5/6

I think that there is a lot wrong with the UK, the domination of the upper classes and the money men, but Oz has hitched its wagon up to the USA's monster 4 wheel drive and is very happy with not recognizing human rights or equality despite its constant reiteration of 'a fair go' as the Oz way.

I see it as having a political and administrative system that has more in common with a eastern European ex soviet state than anything you will be familiar with in the UK.

So just think before leaping is all I would say

Regards

Oz to france

Like Tickled Pink, Jack, I am beginning to be concerned for your mental state.

Either that or you are the most egotistical selfish Generation Y ever to be born. What makes you think Australia owes you a visa?

So many of us have given you considered advice over the past many threads you have started, and we are all frankly getting quite cheesed off with your "the world owes me" attitude. Get off your backside, be grateful you are young and alive without some life threatening serious illness, and get your teeth into a career that you will love. Life is too short to spend it doing a job you hate just because you think it might get you a visa to Australia. Life is what you make it chum - so grow up and stop acting like a little boy who can't have his favourite toy!

You perhaps over rate the ease if living in Australia.It is very different living than being a transient backpacker of course. I am not sure if they still take folk that complete the catering diploma? After the abuse with many hundreds if not thousands from the Sub Continent using it as a means to remain in Australia,I'm pretty sure it difficult to enter that way especially without experience.

As others have stated UK is not so bad although going through a bit of a tough time at the moment....far better off than Greece,where you said you've just returned from.

I know it can be a bit of a downer returning home...to try to live a normal...life,after travelling and seeing different places. Things fall into place in time. Although you may still wish not to be in UK ..it becomes more durable.

As for jobs...perhaps something more trade related is better for OZ? Depends where your strengths lay. Nurse is always a good one...but takes time. Not easy and better to change your mind a dozen times and get it right than doing something you have no inclination for and that will not deliever you the desired outcome....

I have to agree with the above. I know how desperate you must feel to want to get back to aus, but you're not thinking long term here. If you go through all of this and then realise you have made a mistake, you don't enjoy it, and/or you don't get to stay in aus you will be so bitter and regretful. You should spend your time just enjoying the now, I'm guessing you're around my age (21) so slow down! You have your whole life to maybe go to aus. you might find you prefer another country or the UK after all. I would get your degree in the UK and then do a masters that could possibly get you to aus. But the most important thing is to enjoy your life and your career. You will realise you have wasted a lot of your 20s trying for something that isn't the be all end all. I think if you spend some time in a third world country you will realise how crap the UK isn't.

Edited by BritChickx