I'm going to train to be a cook to get my PR

Guest Guest68570

Guest Guest68570

I am going to save and go in June on the student visa. Two year diploma. I have seen lots of job offering sponsorship for a cook so I figures crossed shall get sponsored and then do ENS and then PR. Does this sound like a good plan?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't comment as to if its a good plan. It has to be something you want to do and will enjoy and can be a career for you in the future as its a lot of money to throw at something you have no plan to use at the end. Being a chef is usually a full on job and not something for the faint of heart. Its hard work and commitment and can have some anti social hours. I hope you have a passion for food ;)

I think the term to use also is chef, not cook.

So are you going to do the diploma to meet this one?

http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/c/chef.htm

Yep its definitely not a easy route, very long hours and the heat in the kitchen etc. Im not sure the pays that good either unless your in a high end restaurant etc.

Your chance of sponsorship is higher than drama which imo was non existant but as already mentioned dont start something only for that, you need to enjoy it and actually want to do it

Guest Guest68570

yes that's the one. I am going to do the two year diploma. The cert IV. Am not sure how much experience I would need, but it seems the jobs I look at don't always ask for experience. Iv'e always enjoyed being in the kitchen and making food.

Good luck and I really hope it works out for you. It's not an easy job, I know not because I am one but because my husband is and has been for the last 26/27 years. As someone already said you can certainly expect a lot of anti-social hours and it can be stressful. I didn't know my husband when he first started out I met him in the latter stages of his career but it still hasn't been easy and at the moment he is working a 60 hour week but not being paid for all of that... part of that is him because he is very passionate and dedicated to his job though. We are waiting to hear whether he's been successful for a FIFO sponsored job which will give us a better life as a family but then our current circumstances are very different to most so that won't be hard lol.

Sorry I have waffled on, be prepared to work hard at it and I've no doubt you'll succeed but make sure you find ways to help you relax as it is a tough life in the early stages.

Being a chef isn't for the feint hearted! I worked as one for about 15 months and the hours do put a big strain on relationships, and if your heart's not in it it gets very tedious very quickly. It's very different from throwing dinner parties at home, and the pay isn't great. But if it's what you want to do, go for it! Enjoy it.

Guest littlesarah

Sometimes you have to stop dreaming, scheming and talking the talk and just get on with making your life worthwhile.

Whatever happens with you, bear in mind that none of us got qualifications and a visa as a result of making announcements on a forum. Either you're a troll or someone who needs to wake up and start growing up. Either way, I hope you have a nice life.

Guest guest71686

god I hope you actually want to do it!, can't think of a harder worst paid job for the level of skill and effort you have to put in to make it work. Everytime I see guys working in the kitchen it looks like a nightmare

Guest Guest68570
god I hope you actually want to do it!, can't think of a harder worst paid job for the level of skill and effort you have to put in to make it work. Everytime I see guys working in the kitchen it looks like a nightmare

well have you got any better suggestions?

I am just getting really sick and tired of all the negative stuff on here. Would it really kill people to encourage me instead of saying everything I try wont work.

At least I am trying to come up with solutions to my problem.

I am just getting really sick and tired of all the negative stuff on here. Would it really kill people to encourage me instead of saying everything I try wont work.

You go get em cobba. If thats what you want to do then do it, you don't need anyones approval on here

I think people have given you encouragement. I've certainly tried to give sound advice in the past and will continue to do so. And now they are somewhat over it all as you've pretty much ignored everything tabled and are ploughing on with this. You ask people, they give you suggestions and advice and you ignore it all anyways. Can you imagine why they may be are peed off with you now?

Your solution is to get to Aus in the quickest time by the quickest route. Most people on here didn't think that was a wise move for you. You never really expressed an interest in cooking or being a chef before, you wanted to teach drama. Can you see why people are somewhat disbelieving of you now? And wondering if you are really serious about this and if you've actually thought it through.

If you ask me, being a chef, its a calling, a passion, something you truly want to do, to create, to be. Its not something to do just to get you a quick student visa to get you into a country for a couple of years.

Not what you wanted to hear, probably, but its how I see it. I wish you well with your attempt to get this visa and to get on a course but I do wonder if you are really prepared for what it will entail and how much work you actually will have to do and how committed to being a chef you will have to be.

My brother is a chef, he works constantly and has gone very far in a short amount of time, working in the Dorchester, michelin star restaurants, and the Sydney Opera House when he got his WHV and sponsored over there. You have to be very good at it and very passionate and creative for the job though, or you won't go far.

I have to also ask have you thought seriously about the financial side of things aswell. I of course dont know your circumstances, you could be fine for money but i just thought you should be warned it tends to be very expensive. You need to pay your course and living expenses. As we've all heard on here - australia is expensive. You'll have to find some part time work that will fit around studies.

Im sure you know all this though

Guest Guest68570
I think people have given you encouragement. I've certainly tried to give sound advice in the past and will continue to do so. And now they are somewhat over it all as you've pretty much ignored everything tabled and are ploughing on with this. You ask people, they give you suggestions and advice and you ignore it all anyways. Can you imagine why they may be are peed off with you now?

Your solution is to get to Aus in the quickest time by the quickest route. Most people on here didn't think that was a wise move for you. You never really expressed an interest in cooking or being a chef before, you wanted to teach drama. Can you see why people are somewhat disbelieving of you now? And wondering if you are really serious about this and if you've actually thought it through.

If you ask me, being a chef, its a calling, a passion, something you truly want to do, to create, to be. Its not something to do just to get you a quick student visa to get you into a country for a couple of years.

Not what you wanted to hear, probably, but its how I see it. I wish you well with your attempt to get this visa and to get on a course but I do wonder if you are really prepared for what it will entail and how much work you actually will have to do and how committed to being a chef you will have to be.

It sounds really hard. Tbh Its something i'm interested in but not something I had really thourght about until now. I am just doing anything to get a visa. Australia is my priority above everything else and any gap or loop I can look for I am going to try and pursue it. I know nothing will come easy but I need to give everything a try.

It sounds really hard. Tbh Its something i'm interested in but not something I had really thourght about until now. I am just doing anything to get a visa. Australia is my priority above everything else and any gap or loop I can look for I am going to try and pursue it. I know nothing will come easy but I need to give everything a try.

That's because it is hard. Hard work, sweat and a lot of tears. Do you have any real cooking skills to take with you? Have you prepared meals for family, explored ingredients, learnt about different foods and so on? All things I think someone with a real interest in being a chef or with a real interest in food would have done. Have you worked in a kitchen before? Seen what goes on and the hours they put in? Even a kitchen porters job would give you some insight in to the path you are considering. I think it would be a true eye opener for you and perhaps give you some food for thought.

And the big one, what if, what if you actually cannot cook to the level you need to pass your diploma? Its not just about cooking a meal. Its about planning a menu, preparing it all, executing it to a very fine timeline and serving it up to look good on a plate, not just dolloping it on there. If you can't really cook or have a flair for food you probably won't do well and then what? Back on a plane to the UK and many thousands of pounds in debt for your course in Aus I'd think.

You are a young person with dreams and ideals and doing anything to try to get to Aus. You are desperate. Sadly I think that clouds your better judgement and you have some fantasy that life in Aus is better all round for you when you've only really spent a bit of a holiday there if I recall correctly about your WHV.

The reality is not the holiday idyll. Its the same old same old as anywhere else. I truly hope if you get on a course it works out for you but IMHO shortcuts like this are not good and are poorly thought through just because you want to be in Aus *NOW* and can't be. In my early 20's I probably would have thought like you to a point. But I also know a losing thing when I see it and would not be throwing money at a course like this unless it was truly a passion and something I wanted to do with my life. And I'd do the course in the UK (for so many reasons it seems like the better option to do that, at least to me) and then use it as a springboard to Aus if it was still what I wanted at the end of it.

Guest Guest68570

I worked as a pot washer in a kitchen once. I have cooked for friends and family before.

I see what you are saying and yes it probably would be better to do it in the UK and save the money. But I have been living in the UK for a month, after spending six months in Greece and three in Australia. This is the first time I have ever lived properly in England in three years and just as I thought it truly is bloody awful.