Life in Queensland .com

calNgary

• 3 years later...

can anyone help ! i have struggled to land a job that befits my experience and knowledge, 27yrs in commercial construction. having ran my own successful Plastering company with more than 20 spreads working for me, being the preferd plastering contractor to several top tier companies in the UK for 10yrs or more, then moving into site management, and having my own property development company business. I have come up against closed door after closed door because, so ive been told "i dont have any Australian experience" so in order to get some i have done labour agency work, i have worked on the Airport link project, Civils Roads and tunnels, a little out of my comfort zone but in order to get the experience needed i took it on and then moved on to one civil roads job after another, and in the mean time have been told by everyone that i meet "its not what you know its who you know. Well i dont no any body high up in any companies here so im stuck ! is there anyone out there that can give an hard working pom a shuve in the right direction ? i can send you my CV (resume) and cover letter, i have certificates from the UK and refferences, I am getting my skills assesed by RPL for a diploma in Project management and im doing a Cert4 in OH&S, as i was also a Health & Safety co-ordinator in the UK, any positive response would be very much appreciated

Many thanks my fellow poms, a very bewilderd pom !!!! Me and my family love living here, but i need the right job ! i dont mind going to the mines, if someone out there knows a way in !!!!

MIKE

Guest sh7t man no way

I have updated the URL as the site has been revamped since Cals post in 2008 and now covers all of Queensland
didnt realize it was an old thread m2m--thankyou

Guest Pinnacle

Hi Cal, can you please contact me. I'm moving to Brisbane in early January 2012 and notice that you may be a useful contact to hel with things when we get there?

Thanks in advance, Ade

Mike,

I like you have been in the building trade over 25 yrs and 20 off those here. Sounds as though you ran a 'solid' plaster business back home which as you have found out means little over here as i have never seen the brown and skim here only down in Victoria. Most 'solid' here is render as you know both in and outside. Have you got your QBA licence in render? If not then get that done ( might need to do a quick practical test to show them you can do it ). What do you want to do mate? on the tools or supervising?? I might be able to point you in the right direction.

There's a company up this way do a lot in Brissie but before i speak with them really need more info from you

Cheers

Stefan

Hi Cal, can you please contact me. I'm moving to Brisbane in early January 2012 and notice that you may be a useful contact to hel with things when we get there?

Thanks in advance, Ade

Hi Ade

Sad as it may sound im on the forum every day so happy to help as much as possible,lol, fire away with any questions . We have lots of members living in and Brissy so you wont be short of help.

Cal x

Archived