Job searching in Oz for nursing... what Grade am I?

KirstHelloKitty

Hiii,

I am a BAND 5 nurse in the UK and have been a nurse for 15 months, I have started applying for jobs in Brisbane as I now have my registration to practice nursing in Australia (finally!!!) and just wanted to check what grade I am in Oz if I am Band 5 in the UK. I'm worried i'm looking at the wrong jobs so any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kirst :) xx

No a Grade 5 will be a nurse unit manager. (although you could probably do that better than the Aussies with just 15 months British experience!!!)

No a Division 1 nurse just means the equivalent of a qualified nurse in the UK

A Division 2 nurse is like a slightly more qualified HCA.

There is also a Division 3 nurse but they are all old, its not something they have anymore, I dont really know how it differes from Div 1.

The grades each have years attached....the years are like the UK increments for each year you have been in that band and the grades are like bands...

Typically its

Grade 2: Staff Nurse

Grade 3: Charge Nurse (called Associate Nurse Unit Manager here)

Grade 4: something between a charge nurse and a manager

Grade 5: Nurse Unit manager

Grade 6; Someone that sits in an office in a suit and earns a lot of money

That's really helpful thank you! So when I'm searching on the "Work for us" option on the Queensland Government health website and it says "Grade 5" is that for my benefit in the UK then? It's "divisions" in Australia?

Hi

No, in Queensland the grades are different to Victoria. Blobby is in Vic so has given you the Vic divisions.

In Queensland the grades are similar to UK. Grade 5 is more or less equal to a band 5 and this is what you'll be. the level in the band 5 depends on how many years you have been qualified. So you will be a grade 5 on the 2nd level.

hi all just querying on behalf of my wife shes been a senior band 5 in a busy inner city A&E for 10 years she has all sorts of experience what realistic is her band she can go for out there and get and do we have any information on payscales to compare, thanks in advance you wonderful lot :)

• 1 month later...

Hi kirst, i would be grateful if you could give me an idea how long it took for your registration to be sorted. i am moving to melbourne, I have a visa so its just nursing reg that I need. i have no school certs hope this is not going to be a problem. I am UK degree trained staff nurse working in the community and off to Oz in the new year, mid feb.

Grateful for any info.

Thanks

Gill

Hi there,

Sadly your reg takes way longer than you will expect. Mine took 11 months and I've seen lately that I was one of the quick ones. You need all your certificates from school including evidence that you went to an English school for so many years. I had to get my high school which I haven't been to in 6 years to send me written confirmation that I attending their school for so many years and can speak English (I have never lived anywhere but England my whole life) but still had to show evidence. I definitely would not move until this reg is sorted as it is a lot harder to pass not originally though. Now that I have passed for 100% I'm not getting my Visa and flight tickets. It's really hard work and stressful but worth it, but they will want all the evidence of your qualification from the age of GCSE'S and A LEVELS.

Hope this helps, good luck :)

Hi kirst, i would be grateful if you could give me an idea how long it took for your registration to be sorted. i am moving to melbourne, I have a visa so its just nursing reg that I need. i have no school certs hope this is not going to be a problem. I am UK degree trained staff nurse working in the community and off to Oz in the new year, mid feb.

Grateful for any info.

Thanks

Hi Gill

I don't know how much you have looked into your AHPRA registration but you need quite a bit of information. The website does tell you everything you need to know, but makes sure you dot the i and cross the t before as they are very picky. There is a very good nurses forum on here where you will get all the help and info you require. The length of time for registration varies depending upon where you apply and whether or not you have a job offer in place. Mine only took a couple of mths and I applied to nsw. Good luck.

Can I ask which part of Queensland you are looking for work in because in SE QLD ie Brisbane/Sunshine Coast/ Gold Coast there are very few opportunities due to massive cutbacks by the Queensland Government. I've been here for 18 months and I'm still on a temporary contract with little prospect of it being renewed again. There are bugger all permanent jobs and not much prospect of the situation improving in the ofreseeable future (years not months!!). Infact I'm looking to work away from home in the new year in New South Wales through an agency as the opportunities are so few and far between. I work in mental health but the situation in all disciplines is as bad. Sorry to be a doom merchant but I'm just being realistic

Thanks Rachall, no job in the pipeline, havent applied thought i would need to be registered prior to applying. Just enquired for community nrsing with RDNS in Melbourne as this is where Husband got a job. We have state sponsorship so have visas just need to get there, where are you going?

great news on you getting your visa.

Gill

Hi Gill

I'm a community nurse and I'm of to Sydney. I received a job offer before applying to AHPRA but I'm being sponsored by the company. As you have got state sponsorship you will need to register with that state, having reg before you apply for jobs is the best option but at least having the visa is someway there in the eyes of any employer. Good luck, keep us updated

rachel x